Simon Steele's Rusa

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Basalt

Simon Steele's Rusa

#1 Post by Basalt » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:01 pm

I just saw a photo of Simon's Rusa stag that he nailed at very close range with his Black Widow longbow, it's a ripper !! How about a photo on here and a bit of a story Simon?? Well done again mate :D !! Hey Al, I thought you said that bow was no-good and that's why ya sold it to Simon :wink: :o
Basalt.

Steely

Rusa

#2 Post by Steely » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:01 pm

Thanks Bill

Nope nothing wrong with that bow (LOL)
I love shooting it and being a takedown its super handy to have in the travel bag everywhere I go.

I was fortunate enough to see this great stag rise from his bed the night before I took him and after an inspection of his bedding area decided to be there in the morning when he returned from feeding,it was a cold morning but I had good cover behind his bed and at 9:30 when he came back in I took a shot front on at 5m he only traveled 18m before falling I was wrapped and the longbow 63@28 did a great job.

Simon.
Attachments
Longbow Rusa 2005.jpg
Longbow Rusa 2005.jpg (185.61 KiB) Viewed 3406 times

Steely

Rusa

#3 Post by Steely » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:40 pm

Just getting the hang of posting and attaching photo's guys sorry this is in two parts.

I started hunting this area after finding a fresh wallow and A line of rubb trees that where both very fresh and very deeply carved.

This stag had been fighting really hard and as you can see in this shot his cape and shoulders are badly bashed about , he had a deep wound behing his ear , these fellows go at it hell for leather when they fight.

This is how he fell walking derictly away from me on the same line he took in to his bed , At the shot he turned to face away from me as if to face another stag and continue fighting he stood still looking around for a moment and slowly walked off , but I could see the Tusker Spirit sitting out behind his elbow and I knew it was over. In less than a minute he was down,the broadhead cutting the top off his heart.

To say I ws pleased with the way things worked out dosnt start to cover it
this was a very special hunt .................
Attachments
Rusa Arrow.JPG
Rusa Arrow.JPG (177.04 KiB) Viewed 3397 times

Hood

#4 Post by Hood » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:54 pm

A huge congrats to you Steely on a fine and well deserved animal.

Mick 8)

PS. I love your bow to
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

coach

#5 Post by coach » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Well done Steely ,,would love a Widow :D

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:20 pm

Simon

Nice photos and a good read mate. I notice you are getting into traditional archery in a big way lately. Good to see. It must be a hard decision when you go for a hunt though....Hmmm... which bow will I take... The Black Widow or the Robertson Stykbow? As Malcolm said, "life wasn't meant to be easy". Hope to see more of you on this site. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jindydiver

#7 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:03 pm

Great deer. And a great story.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

rory

#8 Post by rory » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:05 pm

Well done Simon! You've got me dreaming mate! :D
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:36 pm

Congrats on a nice deer!

Jeff

hubris

#10 Post by hubris » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:51 pm

It's great to see it taken with a trad bow... BIG congrats mate!

I have to admit, I wouldn't have tried that because I would have asssumed that he would've known his patch real well, and would've smelt someone who'd been waiting for such a long time. I only say this because I remember a chat with Dave Whiting about foxes and he said that you have to whistle as soon as you get to a spot so that your smell hasn't had time to spread.

Again, I've learnt something new! 8) :)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Well done mate!

great job and excellent photos.

stace

#12 Post by stace » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:38 pm

Simon
Great story mate and a FABULOUS STAG !!
I am impressed
And I second MIck S statement of "WE hope to see you more here"

cheers
stace

Rue

#13 Post by Rue » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Simon,
Welcome, that is a fantastic stag and the bow is very nice as well. Keep the pictures coming.
Rick.
P.S. What timbers are in your longbow?

Steely

#14 Post by Steely » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:36 pm

Thanks Rue

Mate its the LAG model standing for long Autom Grey a mix of the Autom Oak and grey bark options black widow offer on their standard bows so its Grey on the front and Autom oak on the inside a nice mix with the black widow standard black and red highlights in the riser.

I have a close up here of the take down mechanism I will attach it for you to have a look at (Very Clever) I love this bow , its cut 1/8th off centre and shoots like a curve , fast for a longbow as well.

If you like your longbows these sure are a nice option , I travel a great deal for work and I can pack this bow down and put it together in moments so its always in my bag with a half dozen shafts.

Simon
Attachments
Black widow LAG.JPG
Black widow LAG.JPG (71.65 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Black widow.JPG
Black widow.JPG (159.3 KiB) Viewed 3283 times

Al Kidner

#15 Post by Al Kidner » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:47 pm

Yes mate well done. But for one thing... next time use them "Boomstick" arras I made will you! :roll: .

You are right there Basalt me more nimble mate, I always put good mojo into longbows than pass them onto fellas that need all the help they can get! :lol:

Al... 8)

Rue

#16 Post by Rue » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Simon,
Thanks for the info and the pics of the bow it looks great and shoots well too. I read your article a few issues ago in Bowhunting Down Under and I am glad your online with us there are some nice fellas on this site. Look forward to seeing some more pictures.
Rick