Be Careful What You Shoot...

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

Be Careful What You Shoot...

#1 Post by TRASH » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:42 pm

I split this from another topic as it is an important issue on it's own. Hope that's okay Trash?

- Erron

Trash said:

Be a little cautious when it comes to camels fellas as there are a awfull lot of pet ones roaming around out this way now with the increased interest in camel racing. We had a disaster take place 300 klm south of here couple of years back where the local store owners pet racing camel was arrowed by a would be hunter. Of course they make a point of telling everyone about it and you are in for an earful if you happen to mention you shoot a bow. My advise don't shoot one unless you have specificly asked the property owner to shoot one .
Personnel experience here now not ******** >>> I took two coastys out for a hunt on one of my regular propertys .I have hunted that place 15>20 times and its on the edge of prime camel country and had always expected to see camels out there while hunting pigs but never had .I even had permission to shoot what ever moves as they say even camels but i didnt make mention of camels on this particular trip because by this stage it was a case of ringin up saying gday and i'll give ya ring when i get home sorta thing no details entered into due to familiarity. The hunt went as planned sneaking ,sneaking as you do , When i separated from the fella's to go one side of a swamp and they the other side it all came undone a little . On reaching the other side they fellas didnt show so i back tracked and came up the side they were on . No dramas there one was crouched behind a tree , Wheres old mate i said , he's gone up that gully after a camel , he said , ##**>> NO !!!!, I SAID. By the time i had caught up to him he was on his way back as proud as punch to have gotten two shots away and missed but was keen to follow it up for another go . I made mention that we might slip back to the station and reconfirm the camel side of the hunting To cut it short i drove back to the house and made mention of seeing a camel in xyz paddock ,well the reply i got was AW him thats old humphery we tried to train him for the desert sands camel races he's a pet had him from a baby !!!!!!!! We havent seen him for a while . Lovely EH !! I could have shot it myself if i came across him on earlier trips but to my good fortune had'nt , They simply forgot to mention they had a pet one. Since this property is 25 klm away from the place where the other disaster happened i guess is bowhunters would be shot on site !!!!!
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

vegie

#2 Post by vegie » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:29 pm

I agree you can easily come unstuck when you think you know what you are allowed to shoot. The place we are looking at my mate has asked the owners specifically about hunting camels and as long as we do not hurt the white ones we are ok. I hope there is heaps of black ones because even brown is too close to white for me.
I always confirm what is on or off the list before each trip.
One property I hunt on told us years ago he was having troubles with wild dogs and to shoot them on sight. You guessed it the first dog I found while hunting was his star sheep dog, about 15 km from the house. Luckily I recognised him and took him back to the house. The owner commented I was wondering where he got to.

Once you let the string go it is all over, if you are not 100% sure don't shoot. Farmers have great memories and bad hunters are a common source of discussion when they get together.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:19 pm

These posts have had some good advice. I have a little tale which is similar.

Quite a few years ago now, mid eighties, we went for a hunt to a new property out Augathella way. We arrived very late at night so just camped on the side of the property road not all that far from the homestead.

Well next morning we were awake at sunrise. As we looked around a good big black chuncky boar was spotted rooting around in the grass. It was down near a dam and in sight of the homestead. I grabbed my bow and arras and with the encouragement of the others with me I started a stalk.

I don't know why but something was saying this isn't as it seems. Alarm bells were ringing that this just may be a pet considering it was in sight of the homestead. One of the fellas with me was saying shoot the thing but I held back. I took a photo of the boar but decided to retreat back to the car. The fellas were saying I was mad but I just wasn't certain that it was in fact wild.

We loaded the vehicle and as soon as it was started up the boar took off running. It ran right up to the homestead and was there to greet us. Man I can tell ya there sure were some relieved bowhunters that morning.

He was a pet and had a good set of hooks to. Know something else I found very amusing - his name was Jeffrey. I nearly shot Jeffrey and still give a sigh of relief to this day that I didn't shoot him.

I have been to other places that have had pet pigs and goats that roamed around the house paddocks so it certainly does pay to find out all about the place you want to hunt. Jeff

Jackrat

#4 Post by Jackrat » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:32 am

This is a very good subject and one very close to my heart,for the following reason. This is the first time I have ever let this out of a very
tight group of people that where or became involved.
In 1988 I was told of a good place for hunting goats,This was on public land,but the area bordered private land.The private property in question
had resently started running cashgora goats,cashgora are a breed that are bred for wool but closely resemble ferals.
I am walking into the area, I am on public land, on a public track
following the boundry of the private goat farm.At the time I had no idea farmed goats were even in the area.
As I come around a corner,about twenty goats jump out of the scrub and onto the track twenty meters in front of me,I instantly spot a large billy,while the arrow was in the air even before impact I realised something was wrong.I watched as the arrow passed thru,his chest at the same time as I spotted the ear tag.After every thing calmed down I followed the goats that had hit the scrub, a short distance on I found the hole in the fence.I can,t put into words how I was feeling as I walked back out of there.Once I got back to my car I went into the closest town and rang my club president.After a short talk I then went to the local cop shop and told the man what had happened.To say he was ****** off is a major understatement.
We then,The police man and I went back out to the area.This was after he had rung the property owner to tell him we were on the way.
We got out there and the property owner instantly started in on me.I will leave it to your imagination what he said.The cop calmed things down,Then the three of us went up to the spot in question.Even in the face of the obvious the cocky continued with the abuse until the cop told him to shut the F UP.The cocky did his best to make life hard for me over the next couple of months but did,nt really have a leg to stand on.
The event cost me my place as Hunts Master of my club,I stepped down.
It also cost a grand in lawyers fees.My name was dragged thru, the mud by a guy who could,nt maintain his fences and was,nt willing to face his own responsibilty.Today I don,t hunt public land for goats.
The whole thing left a bad taste that has not dimmed with the years.
I did in fact stop hunting for a long time after it happened.
It took me a long time to get it sorted in my own mind that I hadn,t done the wrong thing.I still play that shot over in my mind and wonder all the what ifs???. I always will.
Jack.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:25 pm

Thanks for sharing that Jack. As I read it you didn't do any wrong. It was an accident and no blame could be put on you. It's regretable that it happend but you certainly did the responsible thing.

Imagine if the you said nothing and the property owner found his dead goat with an arrow in it. It would have been much worse for bowhunting.

I think by going to the Police it would have spoken volumes on the positive side about your character, and that of bowhunters, to the Police.

I guess most, if not all of us have done things we wished we hadn't. They can't be undone so we must learn from them and get on with life.

Life sure is one big learning curve hey? :D

Jeff

erron

#6 Post by erron » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:51 pm

Jack,

courageous post, and good on you for speaking out! I wish more people would do the same, as it would make for a better world, and a better future for us, I'm sure.

You are not to blame for the farmer's failure. You shot an animal on public land, he allowed his animal to be there. HIS FAULT! These days you could sue the mongrel for the various griefs the incident cost you!

Well done mate, then and now :wink:

Erron

Basalt

Goat on the wrong side

#7 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:33 pm

Hay jack,
That was a hard call mate and I agree with Erron and Jeff, it took a lot more insides to own up to the mishap, then it would have taken to walk away and the farmer should have realized that. I take my hat off to you Jack, it takes a bit of grit to put that sort of thing down on paper and we can all learn from it. Bowhunting's like life, the day you stop learning, is the day ya stop living :!:

Silverfox.

#8 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:33 pm

G'day Strowie, AHHHHHH the Coast Camel hunters...... :shock: I know these two blokes, you can not trust 'em when there a camel or two poking around :roll: I think where all glad that day old uncle Gray Gray is a **** poor shot! " I'm having trouble reaching anchor" where his words! And from another.... "I konw how to fix that". :wink: I'll catch up with you again Strowie, regards Alan aka there not chicken pox spots are they? :shock: