Alaskan wanting to come hunting

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

QuentinVanPelt

Alaskan wanting to come hunting

#1 Post by QuentinVanPelt » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:17 pm

First post here, and I realize there isn't a ton of activity on these forums, but I figure this is a good place to start. Australia has been on my radar for quite a few years as a hunting destination, and I am at a place in my life that I would like to make it happen sooner rather than later. I have been a traditional bowhunter all my life, and the game rich environment and sheer adventure factor of Australia is calling my name. I am just in need of a little guidance on getting the ball rolling. When it comes to hunting, I have a great work schedule. I am a fishing guide in Alaska, so I work from mid-April through mid-September usually, which leaves me the rest of the year to hunt and fish as I please. I realize that there are outfitters/guides there that offer hunts, but with having the amount of time I have available and flying halfway across the globe from Alaska I would like to make this a trip that would last more than the typical 5–10-day hunts that guides would have to offer. I would like to do 14 days at a minimum. I don't really have a list of any certain animals that I would like to go after, but a place to chase boars, goat's cats, deer, or whatever would be available to be hunted. if a guided hunt would be my best bet, I can live with that, but I am just exploring my options. Is a hunt like this something that could be a DIY option? Appreciate any help and would love to chat about making this happen.

metalhead

Re: Alaskan wanting to come hunting

#2 Post by metalhead » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:00 pm

G'day Quentin.
Without having any Aussie contacts I think a guided hunt would be your best option. Come around Easter time when the rut is on and it's not so hot either. There are plenty of self guided or fully guided operators to choose from. Just about any deer hunting property will have other game on offer as well. Come, shoot at a club, meet some people and you might willing to take you out. Good thing with Australia on private property no tags , no bag limit and it can be free but you'd have to get to know some people. Oh and you can't shoot native animals.
Good luck!