Fox meets the Widow

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Fox meets the Widow

#1 Post by matt61 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:45 pm

Headed out for my first fox whistling session of the year, had to walk about a kilometre up along the creek until I could pop up out of the creek bed and come into the northern end of a patch of rocks and scrubby trees and had the wind into my face. I move quietly thru all the dead thistles and weeds until I found a spot where I could stand against two small bushy saplings to break up my outline. Snuck forward about ten meters and dropped my electric rabbit and stuck my twirly decoy in the grass and went back the two bushy saplings, picked up my Black Widow and put an arrow on the string and triggered the remote for the electric rabbit to make sure it was working it, it let out its shrill cries.
We are good to go, into the mouth go's my penny whistle and literally on the second blow of the whistle a fox jumps up onto a rock about fifty meters straight in front of me looking intently in my direction, so I trigger the electric rabbit and the fox still sitting on the rock starts ducking down and looking under the trees to its right and it did that repeatedly which had me wondering 'what is it looking at'. What it was looking at was another fox coming in fast on my left and I only saw it when it appeared from out of the grass right next to my electric rabbit, but it must have scented that I had walked out there and spun around and slunk of into the grass. :roll:
Ok back to the fox on the rock which was still sitting there, I blew the penny whistle again and the fox hopped of the rock and began coming in my direction, slightly to my right disappearing amongst the rocks
only hop up onto another rock and sit. I won't whistle when they are looking directly at me, I wait till they look away, eventually after a few minutes of waiting the fox jumps of the rock and starts coming again.
I see the fox is going to go about fifteen meters to my right like its trying get behind whats screaming and pick up the scent. As I lost sight of the fox because of the bushy sapling on my right, its now or never!.
I stepped out from behind the sapling and the fox stopped and looked in my direction as I bought the Widow up ,aimed and sent the Goldtip arrow with a three blade broadhead on its way and heard the whack
as the arrow passed thru the fox and it bolted into the long grass and thistles.
First thing I then did was go and collect my electric rabbit and decoy and then searched for the arrow which I found very easily and it was covered in blood and then I began finding large patches of blood within meters of where I shot at the fox, the light was nearly gone and after about twenty five meters I was having trouble finding and seeing blood because it was almost dark. I marked the spot and headed home with the intention of coming back next morning to find it.
When I got back in the morning, I literally found the fox dead three meters from where I gave up. :roll:
2020-03-27 10.23.01.jpg
2020-03-27 10.23.01.jpg (188.4 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
Matt ( Bit of a rough story) And it happened before the state shut down hunting. :sad: :sad: :sad:
Attachments
2020-03-27 10.26.04.jpg
2020-03-27 10.26.04.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Fox meets the Widow

#2 Post by kerry » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am

Well done Matt and thanks for the report and pix cheers kerry :handgestures-thumbup:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the story Matt; good to see another feral bite the dust.

Jim

#4 Post by Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:35 am

Good shooting and thanks for sharing Matt.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#5 Post by Outbackdad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:36 am

Great to see some hunting. Well done.

Kendaric

#6 Post by Kendaric » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Nice one Matt.