Bow Draw Weights for Hunting in Australian States

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Bow Draw Weights for Hunting in Australian States

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 am

Hi all,
I have been looking into what are the legal minimum legal bow weights for hunting of various species in Australia and New Zealand:
NSW in the DPI handbook only has a list of recommended weights

Victoria has a list of specific weights for various species

Cant find anything for the others

NZ has a minimum of 35#

Any one know of the requirements for QLD WA NT?

Cheers

atlas_melbourne

Re: Bow Draw Weights for Hunting in Australian States

#2 Post by atlas_melbourne » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:48 am

Hi Ian,
I couldn't find anything in relation to the states you are after.
I ran into the Vic ones as you mentioned so I thought I'd post them here for those interested.
Cheers,
Atlas

Victoria
https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer ... nting-laws
Long, recurve, and compound bows

Sambar, Rusa, and Red Deer
A minimum draw weight of 50 pounds (22.5 kilograms), using an arrow fitted with a broadhead having a combined minimum weight of 400 grains (26 grams) and at least two cutting blades

Hog, Fallow, and Chital Deer
A minimum draw weight of 45 pounds (20 kilograms), using an arrow fitted with a broadhead having a combined minimum weight of 350 grains (22.5 grams) and at least two blades

discord

#3 Post by discord » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 pm

I seem to recall 45lb being a legal minimum in NSW when I got my R-License but I can't find it anywhere on their website now. There was also a mandated minimum length of cutting edge on broadheads...
HAIL ERIS!

Rhino1

#4 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:25 am

Qld has never had any minimum requirements, in the past when ppl have asked they get directed to the Vic requirements.
Me personally, I have no urge to hunt with a Trad bow under 50# but prefer 55# as minimum hunting bow poundage.
There was a bloke recently thats been posting pics online of a few buff he had shot with a 45# bow apparently, I simply wouldn't have enough confidence in my gear when hunting red deer or mature pigs with low poundage bows and imo confidence is paramount when making a successful shot under pressure.
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

Rhino1

#5 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:35 am

Here it is, buffalo with a 40# curve, I have concerns about this and reservations of the legitimacy of this story.
If you feel the urge to hunt buff with a 40# bow it may be time to start working out those chicken wings.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... %2As%2As-R
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

Rhino1

#6 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Any sane person would assume that the ABA would have been all over this years ago by allocating minimum hunting draw weights and acceptable broadheads and arrow weights for all states.

Kendaric

#7 Post by Kendaric » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Horses for courses I would think, and a bit of common sense thrown in (though common sense seems to have disappeared in the modern world to some degree). Much would depend on what you are hunting, and how good at stalking you are.

Often I think accuracy is more important than poundage. Not much point shooting a heavy bow if you can't be accurate with the shot. The Victorian blanket rule is a bit of a mistake in my book - I know a of a few shooters that shoot a 50# pound bow (@28"), yet they snap shoot and would be lucky to draw 24-25" in reality.

Byron Ferguson states in "Become the Arrow" that in most States, that a minimum of 40# is required for deer, and is sufficient for most circumstances for deer, however he goes on to say that a better rule would be to require the bow to cast an arrow of a certain minimum weight a certain minimum distance.

Howard Hill had written in his book "Hunting the Hard Way" that we start with a 35# bow at 0 yards, and simply add a pound of draw weight for every yard we want to shoot at after that. So for a 50# bow, shots should be keep up to around 15 yards or less. Not a bad rule of thumb.

Doc Ashby's tests concluded that a 40# recurve with a 650g arrow, was still at the threshold of being able penetrate through bone.

Back in the 70's, I knew guys that hunted for pigs with 36# recurves. But these guys could really hunt, like I mean really hunt. They shot heavy arrows, and their average shooting distance was from about 5-8 yards, and they placed their shots. They were also disciplined, not taking the shot if conditions were not perfect.

Back then, the average hunting shot was under 10 yards.

However, I suspect much of this kind of skill and discipline is lost with many new shooters.

I don't think the ABA really needs to get involved in mandating minimum hunting weights. The code of ethics should be enough. However, it is a concern to me some of the poorly designed broadheads available.
Last edited by Kendaric on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wal

#8 Post by wal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am

if anyone is going to dong one with a lighter pound recurve it will be that bloke ……….