Hunting Goals 2020...?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Guy Layton

Hunting Goals 2020...?

#1 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Hey All,

Longtime no speak... :P

Just wondering on what everyone’s hunting goals are this year...?

I’m looking to give the Fallow Rut a big go this year... I’m unsure on what bow to shoot as of yet... :think:

I’m thinking a bamboo backed bow or a horse bow... 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

B.Hill

Re: Hunting Goals 2020...?

#2 Post by B.Hill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm

hi guys

got two big trips planned for this year: 4-5 day backpacking hunt for sambar then a 1,2 - 5,6? day hunt for camels.
they are the two big ones at the moment.

Bodie

Jim

#3 Post by Jim » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Hey Guy,

I’ve once again found myself in beautiful North QLD and will be going after pigs this year. I’m also very keen to get onto some Chital deer but don’t know any property owners with deer on them.

Will keep door knocking and see how we go.

I’m getting some new Bigfoot sasquatch limbs from the US soon and look forward to hunting with that bow again. It is a wonderful driver of heavy shafts.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Youngbow

#4 Post by Youngbow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:01 pm

I'd like to get my first kill this year. I head out on my own property and my neighbours. At the moment just trying to get a hare. They are small and very fast. We have deer in the area but hard to know what's going on. Need more neighbours property's too. Supposedly we can get pigs in the area too. I haven't seen any signs though. I recently while out walking my place found what looked like tracks leading up to bedding areas. I doubt they would be from cows. But maybe they are. But the tracks go from the open fields up to what looks like bedding areas on my property. So much to learn.

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:18 pm

B.Hill wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm hi guys

got two big trips planned for this year: 4-5 day backpacking hunt for sambar then a 1,2 - 5,6? day hunt for camels.
they are the two big ones at the moment.

Bodie
Camels, interesting - how would you compare hunting for camels compared to say pigs or deer, gear and approach wise?

B.Hill

#6 Post by B.Hill » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Kendaric

to be honest its all going to be a trial by fire, never hunted camels before and not a lot of bowhunting info out there. I'm lucky that the property is next door (only an hour away) so not a huge expedition travel wise, im just waiting for the weather to cool down then it should be all go.

my bow setup is not super heavy poundage (53# ) though I have increased my arrow weight (630gns) I was worried about it being to light but after talking to Abe Penner at Caribow in Canada he has taken moose with lighter poundage and while camels are big I don't think penetration should be a problem if hit in the right spot . I have read that camels can travel fairly far even when hit fairly well though most of that information was from rifle hunters and I think that might be more adrenaline from the shot than anything, same as pigs I have seen pigs run for miles when hit with large calibre rifles, and seen them take a couple of steps and fall over with a well placed arrow, I'm hoping camels are the same.
I am planning on backpack hunting in a way as I have a side by side vehicle that I will be able to use to take water with us if I have to follow up an animal, and I can use the atv as a mobile base camp as its big country (1.2million acres) and I know if we spook a mob or if worst case I wound an animal I can track it and have to camp out I can still have water water close by, also I am wanting to take as much of the meat as possible so by having the vehicle we can butcher it straight away.
I'm planning on spot and stalk, but may set up an ambush/hide on a watering point. not making to many plans on tactics, mainly making sure I have the ability to be fairly mobile as I know they can cover some country, was planning on doing some scouting over easter just to see what there habits are and if they are fairly territorial or just wander. I have mustered out there on motorbikes and have been able to get fairly close on a bike so hoping they are not to wary, no hunting pressure and hardly any roads so hopefully wont be to spooky.

so if I do get one it will probably be more from luck than planning :lol:

Bodie

papa scarface

#7 Post by papa scarface » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pm

My goal for the year was to get onto the reds or fallow in my local state forest way out in the deep thick stuff,
and as always crack one of my arch rivals, mr bugs bunny 🐰