Pig Hunting advice

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Ralphmalphh

Pig Hunting advice

#1 Post by Ralphmalphh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi All! seeking any advice on hunting pigs up in Kenilworth in Qld. Ive been getting out there at the crack of dawn and setting up near a creek where they frequent but have not seen any. I also have set up near a game trail which they use and leave plenty of poop but still no luck! I'm thinking I need to set up during the night and wait for them to walk past on their way home in the morning. I have also tried to find where they bed down, but the hilly terrain and lantana make it almost impossible. Any tips tricks on advice would be much appreciated!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Pig Hunting advice

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:59 am

Have you tried late afternoon as they come out to feed? I have found it is a good time to hunt them. If they have been hunted a lot they can be nocturnal so leave their beds and go to bed in the dark. All the best and hope you have some success soon.

Brooster

#3 Post by Brooster » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 pm

I agree with SH, pm might give better results. Stake out the water might be the other option unless there's lots of water choices which can spread them out a bit. They can cover a 10km radius just snorkelling around in a night. Stick at it and they'll turn up. If you wanted to hunt over bait corn from the ag shop or fruit they throw out from the fruit shop might get it across the line.
Cheers
Bruce

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Ralphmalph
One way I used to find hidden sleeping pigs is by their smell as they have a particular smell also greater concentration of droppings can be a clue they lay up in an area frequently.
So on days with a light breeze and you have found clues they are laying up there, just work across the wind. Being a non -smoker myself is an advantage.
Another way we use to hunt pigs in thick lignum patches is to sit absolutely dead still and just listen as pigs will fight with each other over food or a bed spot, so you might hear them squeal
and then move toward where you heard them stopping to listen again and there will almost always be one awake on sentry duty. I even move away from hunting partners to listen because they will
scratch and move and shoo flies as sometimes just a twig snapping is all the clue you will get.
Matt