Rabbit hunting

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Slab

Rabbit hunting

#1 Post by Slab » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Teaching my boys to ambush rabbits around their warrens. We were taking it in turns to shoot but because I'm one up now it's raffity rules. Pretty proud watching them take their time to shoot, some very close shots to date. So far I'm lucky enough to take three with the recurve using judo points.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 4388 times

Muz1970

Re: Rabbit hunting

#2 Post by Muz1970 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:51 pm

Your doing well with the bunnies. The little buggers can be a real challenge at times and often jump the string.

Good luck to your young bloke.

Cheers Muz

Slab

#3 Post by Slab » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

They have been jumping the string a bit with boys 30lb bows. They've been practicing heaps in backyard at various targets with judo points. I use a Gamemaster 2 50lb which gets there pretty quick. Bloody good fun.

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Slab
Try this trick, give the boys a fox whistle and get them a face mask and get behind the tree using the tree to obscure any movement or make a blind out the surrounding bushes. Have them put an arrow on the string and have their fingers on the string and begin blowing the whistle and see what happens. A lot of times the dominant buck rabbit will pop up out of a hole to see who fighting on his turf and don't be surprised that a fox comes in as well as they will hang around warrens hoping for an opportunity to sneak up on fighting buck rabbits because they squeal when they fight.
If your boys are using a wheelie bow another tip is to be at full draw when they begin whistling for the buck rabbit to pop out and just on dusk or early morning are better times to try what I've suggested. With building a blind, it may take a few days for the rabbits to get used to it being there, try to build it where you will are not silhouetted by the rising or setting sun, North or South sides of the warren.
Matt

Slab

#5 Post by Slab » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks I will try that. Normally they're behind tree but for some reason young falla crept around for photo. I have been on their backs regarding having bow vertical and in front of their face ready so there is less movement when time to shoot. Went on my own tonight and missed three easy ones. One jumped string and poor form for other two. Great fun though.

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am

Love it. Give em hell.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Love hunting rabbits.

Jeff