Hunting deer in Nebraska

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Hunting deer in Nebraska

#1 Post by BenBow » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Bear season was tough due to the cover but still had a good time. I made a trip back home to Nebraska and hunted with some old friends. We were after deer and there were whitetail and mule deer on my friend's property. The deer were all nocturnal for the first half of the hunt because of a full moon. Luckily it rained all night which got the deer to switch to a more normal pattern. I kept spooking the whitetails but finally a herd of 14 mule deer which included 3 bucks moved out across the grasslands during daylight. I shadowed them for a couple miles before I was able to get ahead of them. The herd started splitting up with the smaller bucks going off with different groups of does. I saw the big buck circling some cedar trees and I figured he was looking for a place to bed down. I snuck around the hills and cedars until I spotted his rump sticking out from under a cedar tree about 75 yards ahead. I was able to get under 20 yards from him by using another cedar tree to hide behind. Unfortunately the wind switched and he busted out of his bed and never gave me a shot. Spot and stalk is my favorite way to hunt and it had been years since the last time I was able to hunt that way. A week later my best friend's son shot the buck and his smile tempered my disappointment of not getting him with my longbow. Here's a picture of Caleb with the buck.
Attachments
Sticker mulie and Caleb S.jpeg
Sticker mulie and Caleb S.jpeg (327.38 KiB) Viewed 5370 times

bigbob

Re: Hunting deer in Nebraska

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Bad luck on missing that buck but I can understand your feelings about the young fellow nailing it. I am assuming he used a rifle?
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com