When Fox whistling.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

When Fox whistling.

#1 Post by matt61 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:27 pm

I have getting out a bit lately chasing foxes. I have been out about six times in the past month, mostly by myself and once with a mate. About three weeks ago Ken and myself set off for an afternoons whistling on a property that borders a State park and as we just set up at our second stand, Ken said that he could see two dogs and after a few minutes, two kangaroo's came bounding thru with one of the dogs not far behind them. I said to Ken if it comes close enough I would shoot it, but when the dog got about forty meters, l could see it had a red collar and then it cut our scent and came toward us sniffing and trying to workout where we were as we were all in camo and up against a tree and then it was joined by the second dog, a great big German sheppard. So we stayed still until they decided it was time to bugger off :smile: We then walked up a rocky gully and had only gone about one hundred meters, when I find a sheep fallen in the rocks, still alive but something had eaten about half of it's left back leg. I ended it's suffering and took the ear tag to give to John the property owner. When we told John what had happened, he said we should have shot the dogs and the sheep was a stray and not his :roll: So when I went for a whistle tonight on a different property , at my second stand I see this great big tan and white thing coming just on dusk :roll: the minds thinking oh great another b$#@%$ dog, but then about twenty meters in front of it is a fox coming. Then as they came closer, I realize it's a goat chasing the fox,with the fox looking over its shoulder at the goat as it ran in. The goat stopped out of range and I missed the fox :biggrin: bugger.
What have you fella's had come in whilst whistling. :?:
Matt

bstan86

Re: When Fox whistling.

#2 Post by bstan86 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Living in the bush myself I can tell you that most property owners have the same attitude to dogs.
If it's on your propertty shoot it - collar or no collar - end of story. This is a position I generally support as I would shoot any dog on our place given the chance.

(Unless it's a 7kg Pomeranian or something similar) :lol:

Time and time again graziers have their sheep and cattle attacked by domestic dogs owned by fools who don't do the right thing - it's not just the wild ones that do it. Anyone who doesn't take the right steps to ensure their dogs are under appropriate control had better be prepared to have their dogs shot, and in some cases pay restitution for any stock killed or maimed....

Sorry I don't have any cool whistling yarns like yours... :whistle:

Jeffro

#3 Post by Jeffro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Ive had roos come running straight to me before.
Had to tell them to go away.

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Had a freckle snapping incident a couple of days ago while whistling foxes. I had been whistling for about ten minutes on a game trail that came around a big clump of blackberries and as nothing had come in , I stopped whistling and took my arrow of the string and was looking down and putting the arrow in my bow quiver and when I looked up about ten feet from me on the game trail was a big buck kangaroo and we both did this :surprised: and he leapt backwards and took of .

I thought about it after my heart had slowed down and wondered was he coming to the whistle or was it just chance because I was on the game trail and how come I did not hear him coming :oops: .
Matt

Stu Ballz

#5 Post by Stu Ballz » Sat May 06, 2017 4:59 am

Ive had a hero rabbit come charging directly to me i suppose to help his comrade.
Needless to say it was as tasty as a non hero bunny.

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:22 am

Hi Stu
I always prepare for rabbits coming to the whistle by standing an arrow with a judo point on it next to me ,so I can drop the broadhead arrow of and pick it up slowly and have a shot at the bunny if no foxes come in. Also a sitting bunny will spot an approaching fox before you will, so keep your eye on it.
Matt