Feather Colour For Hunting

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Feather Colour For Hunting

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 am

Hi guys just want to know who uses what colour fletchings for their hunting arrows; are their colours that one shouldn't use that are readily seen by our game animals or for the most part doesn't it matter.
Cheers'
Ian

hunterguy1991

Re: Feather Colour For Hunting

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Always used red and white or black personally... tends to be easier to find if I should miss :biggrin:

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi mate thanks for the reply.
I have read many different articles (American on deer) that say to use red or pink but then others tell me to use a light colours such as white or yellow or a mix so that you can see blood on them if unsue if its a hit/pass through or not.
Then articles have said that the light bright fletches can be spotted when in the air and cause "jumping the string" and / or alert the animal before a shot is even taken; an article by Chuck Adams (i think) says that you may as wave a flag at them if you use anything other than say red, pink, greeen, brown black.
Hence my asking the question?
Cheers
Ian

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:24 pm

For the most part I don't think it matters. If you are moving or moving your arrows around in view of the animals you hunt they are going to see them regardless of colour. I have used all white fletching for over thirty years because I can see the fletches and most times can tell exactly where I have hit an animal. This to me is vitally important!!!

Jeff

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi Jeff I was considering all yellow or all white or a mix.
Mate do yo use a back qiuiver or bow quiver?
Cheers
Ian

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:34 pm

I think the yellow or white would be a good choice.

I had always used a back quiver until probably 15 years ago when I wanted to start carrying more water with me. A back quiver doesn't work well when using a Camelback. I went to a side quiver but now use a Fred Asbell quiver.

Jeff

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Thats something i didnt think about, water carriage and quivers.
Cheers
Ian

gazza

#8 Post by gazza » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 pm

hi ian, as most hunting arrows are a single use item I make my hunting arrows with recycled feathers and I don't really care what colour they are, I also use a camel back type of back pack so a back quiver wont work I,m not fond of side quivers either so I use a bow quiver cheers gazza.
The older i get the better i was

Ian Turner

#9 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Makes sense too mate cheers.

Ian Turner

#10 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Jeff, is it the Asbell over the shoulde3r quiver that you use or a different model.
Cheers
Ian

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 am

Ian, this is the one I use. http://www.3riversarchery.com/g-fred-as ... uiver.html

I prefer back quivers but as mentioned they don't work with my Camelback. This quiver is the best compromise I have found as I do not like the feel of a bow quiver on my bows.

Jeff

bstan86

#12 Post by bstan86 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:47 pm

I have one of those asbel quivers and really like it. But at the end of the day I can hold a lot more arrows in my back quiver which is great. Which one I take out bush is dependent on the country I am hunting, the other gear I want to carry and the duration of the hunt. It's all about compromise often. Regardless - it will be one of the above 2 choices for me when hunting or stump shooting though.

As for the original question I choose colours that make my arrows easy to find in the scrub. Orange, white and blue for me. Blue has the a slight edge IMO, of being one of those colours you rarely see in the bush so it stands out to my eye.

The comments about movement I agree with. I believe that with good stalking skills, colour is somewhat inconsequential. Saying that though I do believe some colours will show up more when moving than others - lighter or brighter colours for example.

Ian Turner

#13 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks guys all your comments/views are appreciated being a newbie to bow hunting (experianced with shootin irons of all sorts) but new to bow hunting.
Cheers
Ian