What makes a good hunter?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

bstan86

What makes a good hunter?

#1 Post by bstan86 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Recently reading Ed Ashby's new book had me thinking about this question and I'll post it here for discussion.

There are so many aspects of a hunters skills and knowledge. Stalking skills, knowledge of game, understanding and setup of equipment, bush skills, shooting skills, tool use, reading wind and weather, patience, cunningness, knowledge of country hunted, physical endurance/strength etc, use of natural resources, choice of gear, problem solving and a hell of a lot of others that I can't think of right now.

I ask anyone replying to this thread to list the top 3 factors in their opinion, that make a good hunter. With number 1 being the MOST important and then so-on.

Very interested to read your opinions..... Camping5

hunterguy1991

Re: What makes a good hunter?

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Something else to add to your list...

I've always found that the best hunters know when NOT to take a shot and well as when they should.

bstan86

#3 Post by bstan86 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:06 am

Yep - self control. :handgestures-thumbup:

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:54 am

Cant, narrow it down to 3., Its a big question. You need to understand Game Animals habits, body language , preferred habitats [ in no particular order ] a working knowledge of Bush Skills, everything from Bushcraft, Navigation to Patience as well as being proficient in the maintenance and use of your Bow, Firearms and other Equipment. Sound personnel Ethics come into the mix as well. Passion and Respect for the Game you Hunt and the Outdoors goes a long way also.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Captain

#5 Post by Captain » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:31 pm

This is easy!

1st thing you need to be a good hunter is to be a good shot with your weapon of choice if you intend to kill it.

2nd thing you need to be a good hunter is to find you prey your self and I mean not by making a phone call to pay to play I mean go find the animal your self.

3rd thing you need to be a good hunter is to be able to get close to your prey with out your prey knowing your there.

Thats it period lol.
Captain.
LIVING THE DREAM

indie

#6 Post by indie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:03 pm

I reckon having the available time to go hunting would help. :sad:

PJS

#7 Post by PJS » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:14 pm

1. Respect for the animal you are hunting.

2. Respect for the animal you are hunting.

And
3. Respect for the animal you are hunting.

Everything else becomes automatic and works in unison.

martin32parker

#8 Post by martin32parker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:40 am

One thing that makes a good hunter is his passion for hunting and his love for archery. Another would be the his weapon for hunting. He should be comfortable with the gears he has and he should be sure that the weapon he is using matches his needs and style for hunting. I believe that the kind of bow that the hunter uses helps a lot in making him the best hunter he can be.

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Preston

#9 Post by Preston » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Compound bow thread killer!!!

Eoin Mc Carthy

#10 Post by Eoin Mc Carthy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm

When i asked this to a very old indignous elder who was teaching me the basics he smiled and said hunger.
I was expecting him to say tracking or skill with a womera or some other thing but that made laugh and was a real insight.