Sambar double

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Captain

Sambar double

#1 Post by Captain » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Went out for a sit and wait approach on a well used Sambar trail leading down out into some in proved pasture and I got lucky.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQQRogfjkWg
Attachments
youtube 2 sambar.jpg
youtube 2 sambar.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
LIVING THE DREAM

bigbob

Re: Sambar double

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:19 pm

damn! that is 2 more than I've got in a life time, well done.Venison will be on your menu for some time! :clap:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Congrats on taking those magnificent animals Captain!

In saying the above I do feel compelled to bring to the attention of those new and perhaps not so new to Bowhunting that the shot on the stag was a very low percentage shot and not one that should be taken IMO. The kill area of a front on shot like that is extremely small and leaves little to no room for error.

As Bowhunters we have an obligation to "Only takes shots that are PROBABLE to result in a quick humane kill as opposed to a shot that is POSSIBLE to result in a quick human kill".

That front on shot no doubt falls into the possible category IMO.

Jeff

bstan86

#4 Post by bstan86 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Well done mate! I really felt like I was there while watching the video.

An excellent effort to drop them both.

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi mate I watched your video; man how did you get in so close Sambar are such a difficult critter to hunt particularly with a bow and a trad bow to boot.
What gear did you use to bring them down, what draw weight is your bow and from the video it looked like a Davies Aztek head and a very thick/heavy wood shaft?
Cheers

Captain

#6 Post by Captain » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Congrats on taking those magnificent animals Captain!

In saying the above I do feel compelled to bring to the attention of those new and perhaps not so new to Bowhunting that the shot on the stag was a very low percentage shot and not one that should be taken IMO. The kill area of a front on shot like that is extremely small and leaves little to no room for error.

As Bowhunters we have an obligation to "Only takes shots that are PROBABLE to result in a quick humane kill as opposed to a shot that is POSSIBLE to result in a quick human kill".

That front on shot no doubt falls into the possible category IMO.

Jeff
Perhaps you should have a more appropriate handle than "stickbow Hunter" !
Here is some advice from me! The kill area front on with a Sambar Stag is quite large and has NO bone to contend with. That Stag was down at 60 yards and the arrow had not only severed arturys but also took out the tops of both lungs!!!!
Hers the sting Jeff, how many Sambar Deer have you taken ethically with your "stick Bow"???????????????????? must be quite a few with all that advice your dishing out to every one.
Cap.
LIVING THE DREAM

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Captain wrote:Perhaps you should have a more appropriate handle than "stickbow Hunter" !
You think so; well I like it and that is all that matters. Afterall I have been Bowhunting with my longbows and self bows for well over thirty years.
Captain wrote:Here is some advice from me! The kill area front on with a Sambar Stag is quite large and has NO bone to contend with.
That is just silly as any experienced Bowhunter knows there is a lot of bone to miss with a front on shot and it especially becomes a concern on the larger animals we hunt such as pigs, goats, deer buffalo etc.
Captain wrote:That Stag was down at 60 yards and the arrow had not only severed arturys but also took out the tops of both lungs!!!!
I have no trouble in believing that at all as you obviously missed all the frontal bones and hit right in the small area which allows an arrow to penetrate to such a degree.
Captain wrote:Hers the sting Jeff, how many Sambar Deer have you taken ethically with your "stick Bow"???????????????????? must be quite a few with all that advice your dishing out to every one.
That's just a smoke screen Captain as whether I have shot a Sambar or not has absolutely nothing to do with the the advice I gave as I'm very sure you are well aware of. I would have given the same advice whether it was a pig, goat or any other deer.

It is a low percentage shot and one to be avoided!

Jeff

Captain

#8 Post by Captain » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Captain wrote:Perhaps you should have a more appropriate handle than "stickbow Hunter" !
You think so; well I like it and that is all that matters. Afterall I have been Bowhunting with my longbows and self bows for well over thirty years.
Captain wrote:Here is some advice from me! The kill area front on with a Sambar Stag is quite large and has NO bone to contend with.
That is just silly as any experienced Bowhunter knows there is a lot of bone to miss with a front on shot and it especially becomes a concern on the larger animals we hunt such as pigs, goats, deer buffalo etc.
Captain wrote:That Stag was down at 60 yards and the arrow had not only severed arturys but also took out the tops of both lungs!!!!
I have no trouble in believing that at all as you obviously missed all the frontal bones and hit right in the small area which allows an arrow to penetrate to such a degree.
Captain wrote:Hers the sting Jeff, how many Sambar Deer have you taken ethically with your "stick Bow"???????????????????? must be quite a few with all that advice your dishing out to every one.
That's just a smoke screen Captain as whether I have shot a Sambar or not has absolutely nothing to do with the the advice I gave as I'm very sure you are well aware of. I would have given the same advice whether it was a pig, goat or any other deer.

It is a low percentage shot and one to be avoided!

Jeff
If your not a confident and accurate with your Bow Jeff then perhaps all your bow hunting
shots would fall into your low percentage kill shots!! Lol!!
I'm am sick of all the inexperienced hunters telling me how not to hunt and you fall wright into that percentage.
I realy have better things to do than to listen to people who think they know how to bow hunt a Sambar Deer but have never tried or succeeded! !

Cap.
LIVING THE DREAM

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Captain wrote:I'm am sick of all the inexperienced hunters telling me how not to hunt and you fall wright into that percentage.
You are in error with that comment Captain as I haven't seen a one make a comment!
Captain wrote:I realy have better things to do than to listen to people who think they know how to bow hunt a Sambar Deer but have never tried or succeeded! !
More smoke screen from you as how to hunt Sambar deer has nothing to do with the comments I made!

Jeff

swami

#10 Post by swami » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:28 pm

:clap: Hey Captain,

Great shooting, your footage from this post and many others confirms both your excellent ability in accuracy and but more importantly your stalking ability to get in close for a good shot. My first Red was a front on shot at 20M with very effective result.

Keep up the great posts you inspire many with your footage and dedicated time in sharing.

Go the Kodiak 59er........ :Bow :clap:
Cheers Swami
less is more

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#11 Post by outbackarcher » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:32 pm

ok posts are getting a little personal.
i will be closing the thread, please keep it civil in future :)

lewis
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.