Mongol bow

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

shurik

Mongol bow

#1 Post by shurik » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to archery. Me and a mate took a few lessons from a local archery range and spoke to a few people there regarding bows. We go camping/hiking a lot and have a few mates with properties where we can hunt, so looking to get a bow for that. Not really into compound bows, more into the recurve/traditional. Also prefer to keep them small, as climbing through bush can't be easy with a large bow (also long distance hiking).

One of the bows we were recommended was a mongolian trandition bow. Does anyone have any experience with those? Would you recommend something else for what we need? Simple bows is best for us, another reason why we are going away from compound and more towards traditional (even though a lot more practice will be needed). We've been shooting traditional recurve, a little bow and it's great.

Budget wise - we don't have much spend, but seeing as this is our first bow - dont see a reason to go all out either.

All suggestions/recommendation would be appreciated. Thank you :-)

matt61

Re: Mongol bow

#2 Post by matt61 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Shurik
Depending on how much you want to spend, I would look into trying a takedown recurve.
I personally have three takedown recurves that I put in a backpack and the longest is
56 inches assembled , the longest thing on the pack is the tube full of arrows.
With a takedown, they have the advantage of being able to get lighter or heavier draw weight
limbs to start out with and change to as you shoot more and get stronger.
With short takedown recurves, you will struggle to buy anything shorter than 60 inches here in
Australia, mine are all custom made ones from America.
regards
Matt

BowmanBjorn

#3 Post by BowmanBjorn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:29 pm

i think Matt 61 is more or less on the mark. a take down recurve in a shorter length 56-60" will be ideal and allow you to fine tune your bow poundage down the track.

the biggest plus for this kind of bow is that they are quite easy to shoot and do not require you learning to shoot off your hand like the Mongolian horse bows do.

bow wise look at:
- Samick SHT
- Samick Sage
- Flatline raptor more expensive but out of this world quality and speed
- Bear kodiak Mag etc

the Samick Sage for the price is pretty hard to beat though my wife shoots one and it shoots brilliantly for the price.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

woodie

#4 Post by woodie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a Mongolian bow and I love it but if you can find one get a Korean horse bow. They are shorter lighter in mass weight and a bit faster. I have a 50# Wind Fighter that I got off John McDonald AMSO128 a few years back and it a great little bow, good to hunt with too.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

shurik

#5 Post by shurik » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Since this is my first bow, I only want to spend a couple of hundred bucks and get a good feel for it, before upgrading to something better when I actually know what I like. Takedown recurve looks like a great option. Are they hard to setup/pull apart? Take a long time?
The Flatline bows are nice, but def out of my price range for the time being. :-)

Samick Sage fit nicely though, this is what came up:
http://www.amazon.com/Samick-Sage-Taked ... B00IRBZPTU

Regarding the Korean horse bow, I love how small they are and no need to pull them apart. From reading they also seem to have a nice wrap.

As it happens, I am actually going to both Korea and US soon. Do you guys know of places to visit there to get a bow, if it's even worth getting one from there? I'll be in Seoul Korea and driving between NY and Mexico after that. Could either bring one back or send it over, flying with one could be a problem.

BowmanBjorn

#6 Post by BowmanBjorn » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Take down recurves especially the sage are a no tools needed affair, thumb wheels lock the limbs in place so 2minutes or so and your ready to shoot.

Contact John Mcdonald at AMSO archery supplies in NSW for a good deal on a Samick Sage. He can also give you arrow recommendations to match whatever poundage you are after.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

Stu Ballz

#7 Post by Stu Ballz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Gday mate,
I have Samick sages, SKB's and Mind 50 horse bows for sale please feel to call me on 0409780477 im sure we can work out something out.

shurik

#8 Post by shurik » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Ok cool, thank you everyone. I'll get in touch with the recommended people shortly. It's me and my mate who wants to get it, so I'll run this past him as well.