Had my game camera out prospecting for next fall

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Had my game camera out prospecting for next fall

#1 Post by BenBow » Wed May 06, 2015 1:28 am

I so enjoy your stories and pictures of hunts down under so I'm sharing what its like in New Mexico USA. I put my camera near a spring at 9,000+ feet elevation for a week to see what's moving and found some elk, deer, and a few cowboys. I'm surprised the camera picked up motion while having so much snow in front of it. The first picture on the camera was the ground squirrel which visited quite a few times. Looks like the bulls have lost their horns so went looking but didn't find any. But I'm excited to see the bear which is on my list so I'll be doing more scouting and see if I can arrow one next fall.
Elk
Elk almost stepped on my camera
Cowboys didn't see my camera which I mounted on the ground and covered the flash with camo netting. The netting cuts the flash distance but the camera stays hidden that way.
Squirrel
Last edited by BenBow on Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenBow

Re: Had my game camera out prospecting for next fall

#2 Post by BenBow » Wed May 06, 2015 1:29 am

Here are some videos of some mule deer, bull elk, and the tail end of a nice bear.
Deer. New Mexico mule deer have much smaller bodies than the ones I'm used to in Nebraska
https://youtu.be/pOn5drdc2UY
Bull Elk
https://youtu.be/TQ8i4oIJENc
The bear shows up in the first seconds of the video and it is just right of the dead tree on the left side. I edited the video to slow it down and to shorten it to just when the bear is visible. Looks like it's pretty good size for this time of the year. Going to have to go back and set up the camera in a different area to check it out again. Could be my fall hunt.
https://youtu.be/hyM_9kOeAEU

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 am

Ben,

Thank you for the images and video links.

From the recorded images are you able to ascertain if the game is just passing through the area or if some are staying for a few days if food is plentiful.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

BenBow

#4 Post by BenBow » Wed May 06, 2015 1:20 pm

graybeard I'm just getting started checking the areas out. We've still been getting snow up high so things will be changing. There is some good green forage up high in the spring areas so I'll be checking different parts of this area over the next couple of months to try and pinpoint the animal movements. Is fun to see what's out there. So I'll post more pictures and videos when I get some good ones in. My animal of choice this year will be bear with my trad equipment.