First Fallow Deer

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

The Ranger

First Fallow Deer

#1 Post by The Ranger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 pm

The other day my next door neighbour contacted me and told me that he was out looking for a young Fallow buck that he had wounded with his rifle, which had then taken off towards my place. He lives on 4000 acres and I'm on 2500 acres. It took a while but we found the young buck in one of my bush paddocks. He had a wound to his right shoulder but otherwise was in good condition and could run with a limp.

I finally got within range (20 mtrs) just on the edge of the bush and shot the buck through both lungs. I heard the release of air and he took off for about 20 - 30 mtrs and then collapsed. He was dead within a couple of minutes. Not a bad kill for my first big game animal. All the meat was taken and shared between the two of us.

I was quite happy with the way my 68# deflex/reflex Ranger Bow performed. The Port Orford Cedar shaft at 550 grains with a two flute broadhead did its job as it passed straight through the buck to make a quick kill.

Ranger
Attachments
Fallow deer.JPG
Fallow deer.JPG (152.22 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

perry

Re: First Fallow Deer

#2 Post by perry » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Reckon that Fallow had a bad Day Ranger ! Nice to read of Hunters tracking down and finishing off a wounded Animal - ticks all the boxes. Congratulations !

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Yup great result! All well that ends well and that deer is one up on my achievements to date, not that I've been able to get out hunting for a few years!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Congratulations Ranger a milestone just there. Love the arrows you have set up on the bow as well.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:36 am

Great hunting Ranger.

Cheers... Rod

The Ranger

#6 Post by The Ranger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks very much chaps, I was very happy to bring the buck down quickly especially being my first deer.

Wayno, I make my own arrows and get the parts from John McDonald. The bow quiver is a Selway longbow quiver. They're very good and work well while hunting.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.