Sambar Country Photos

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Sambar Country Photos

#1 Post by erron » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 pm

Decided to post these here in a separate thread:

Sambar Wallow:

Fearless Hunter at Rest:

A Formidable hunting Party:

Sambar Watering Hole:

A Likely Place:

My gear: Jeff Challacombe 44 pound Longbow. Gundy's: 50 pound Wirrula Longbow. Other details on application, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the photos Gundy!!! We strike such a great pose it's a wonder no deer volunteered their lives for the privelidge of being harvested by such fine specimens! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:01 pm

Good photos Gundy, looks like a nice place to hunt. It would be a real thrill to see a sambar in the wild...Glenn...

gundy

#3 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:16 am

It sure is a thrill Glenn! I have seen them very close at times, even with a bow in hand but never had a shot oppurtunity. Closest was a small spiker at 15 yards. What a buzz.

This is only one of many gullies located around the area in the foothills. I thought it had a perfect mix of what the scrub is like to show Erron. If we had of walked further up the gully, thats where it gets serious. :shock: Very thick in places...

Maybe next time, then maybe we could go over the Northern spur and on to another gully I know, which leads to a steep climb to a fantastic area that....thats another day I guess :wink:

Was a great day Erron, regardless of crafty critters.

vegie

#4 Post by vegie » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:24 am

Great photos makes me want to go deer hunting, or armed bushwalking anyway. See ing a Sambar is a very sucessful day.
Just a word of warning, to hunt deer in Vic you need an authority to hunt from the Department of Sustainablity and Envoirnment (or what ever they call themselves this week) and you must use a bow of at least 50 pounds draw. So for longbows and recurves it is 50 pounds at full draw, compounds a peak weight of 50. The actual game regs give the specific details.

I got checked about 7 years ago in the upper Dargo region by a National Parks bloke, he had the regs in his car and he checked everything ( I had an authority to hunt and my gear was legal). He could not measure my bow weight in the field but as he could not even start to get it back he thought it was definetly over 50 pounds. From memory it was a 66 pound compound with hard cams.

So If you are chasing Deer in Vicoria please make sire you are legal as we do not need the bad publicity.

Daryl

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:35 am

Good point vegie!

Anybody wishing to hunt any deer in VIC, will have to obtain a game licence that encompasses 'deer' (stalking only), currently $40 for 1 year.

Here is a link for those who wish to know more;

http://www.nre.vic.gov.au/web/root/domi ... 610018E88E

erron

#6 Post by erron » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:22 am

vegie,

a point I should clarify: I'm aware of the regs, and was there as an observer, as far as Sambar are concerned.

good point, and interesting to know the regs are enforced!

cheers,

Erron

gundy

#7 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:43 am

Yes, as we had a couple of hours to spare, the Sambar exercise was more to show Erron the type of country available close to home.

And what, did you think that if we did run into one, that I was going to let that crazy amigo shoot at it! Not on your life...I have been chasing these buggers for too many years to share one of them! :wink: :lol:

I would love to get together with some of you guys for a traditional weekend hunt on the elusive lads. That would be a great weekend I would reckon.

What areas do you hunt Vegie? Those closer to Canberra I guess?

vegie

#8 Post by vegie » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:44 pm

Hi Guy and Erron,
I was not trying to give you blokes greif just rather let others know that there is enforced rules and if they catch you in Sambar country with a bow they presume you are chasing deer and hence apply the rules. I suppose it depends on who finds you, There has been a couple of rather unplesant Fishos in the Gippsland region, so it pays to be safe, rather than sorry.

When I got checked it took me quite a while to convince the Ranger my bow was over 50 pounds, in the end I muttered something like 'you could not pull a 50 pounder back let alone this one". He offered if he could get it back we would return to Dargo and he finds some scales, he never even got close.

I was not trying to **** him off he just wanted to look all official to his mate in the car. An interesting point to consider is in that area, Dargo, the Alpine National Park, I can shoot deer but if I shoot a fox or a rabbit I will be charged. How is that for logic or I know spotlighters are a real problem but anyone in the possesion of a torch with a globe bigger than 4.5 watts (not exactly sure on the size but any big maglite is illegal) and a firearm in deer country can be charged with spotlighting deer.

As I said it is better to be safe than sorry,

Guy If I chase Sambar I still hunt north of Bairnsdale, I know where they are just can not get the bushes out of the way. Up around Canberra you can only hunt on private land and finding Sambar on private land is a bit hard, they are moving through this area at the moment so in a few years we might end up with a good population.

Daryl

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:23 pm

No greif taken onboard Daryl! You bought up an excellent point.

I know a few of the Gippsland local fishos and yes, they can be 'determined' sometimes...but, I guess without them, it could be worse.

North of Bairnsdale has some good spots I beleive. I have only been up that area once. I tend to hunt the western side of where I think you may be going Daryl...closer to home I guess.

Sounds like you have come close a couple of times, any good stories you can share mate?

erron

#10 Post by erron » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:09 pm

No problem Daryl, I knew what you were saying, just thought I better clear it up.

:)

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:06 pm

Good lookin country - don't know that I could say the same about the two Amigos though. :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the photos. It is great seeing new country and no wonder you had a great day being out there. Jeff

MarkP

#12 Post by MarkP » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:43 pm

Nice photos. Its good to see country different from that you are used to hunting in yourself. Its certainly very different to up here in far north Qld.

I think I would enjoy a cold climate hunt for a change - mind you I'd have to buy a jumper first.....

MarkP

Jock

#13 Post by Jock » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:10 am

Excellent photos, real interesting to see deer habitat that's completely different from here in Scotland.
Not too sure about those two furtive characters with the "sticks" though!!

Jock
Johnny B. Good.