Red soil return. - heavy pics

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Spinks

Red soil return. - heavy pics

#1 Post by Jack Spinks » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Hey guys

I just returned back from a wknd with my good mate john out hunting some of the billie goats that inhabit the red soil plains near Ivanhoe nsw, we've had good success before but this time we were abit disappointed in the size of the billies but we still had some fun.

We did the usual, get there a day before we wanted to hunt and construct a ground blind built from hot bush and tree branches which is the most successful way of hunting on that property. The blind works a treat when the wind is in your favour, which wasn't always the case but we still managed a few billies over the couple of days. Both were using trad bows with John using a 67# plx Blackwidow longbow with cx heritages and northern broadheads . Whereas I was using a 60# stalker coyote and a PSA X Blackwidow on 65# both running power flights and ribtek broadheads.

We practiced each morning out to 50m and luck would have it we both took a billie each cleanly from that distance , with some cracker shots on running billies also thrown in. All in all it was good to get away for the wknd, and will return in a month or so I hope.
Happy hunting
Jack spinks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (258.23 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.85 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (253.55 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.63 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.67 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (197.63 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (187.74 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.85 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (249.79 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.21 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

" Puts anything down hard and fast"

bigbob

Re: Red soil return. - heavy pics

#2 Post by bigbob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:37 pm

NICE billies! Thanks for posting them.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 pm

It sounds like a great trip Jack. When you mentioned that you shot some at around 50 meters, I immediately thought that might be way too far, as you don't want to wound any animals, causing them unnecessary pain and suffering, but from the photos you've posted, all the hits look like clean lung shots. I know I wouldn't shoot from that distance, but then again I'm only an average shot.

Out of curiosity, do you weight your carbon shafts to make them penetrate better? What would your arrows weigh approximately? How do they penetrate?

Finally, what's that thing on the tripod in your hide? I assume it's a camera of some sort.

Thanks for posting up your report.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jack Spinks

#4 Post by Jack Spinks » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:23 pm

G'day mick, I'd usually never take a shot at that distance but we had been grouping well at 50m each morning and felt confident, the shot I had on the billy was quartering away and the shaft ended up exiting the opposite shoulder. I do weight mine etc, my shafts weighed 570g which is usually too light for me but they were bare shafted and penetrated well with complete pass throughs.
Yeah that's my video camera with a wind sock etc
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Good hunting Jack, theres some nice looking skins there too.

cheers... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Congrats to you and your mate Jack!!! You got some good billies and some excellent photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Admin note: For the benefit of those new to Bowhunting I will make this comment. Under normal circumstances 50 metres is considered too far for a shot at game regardless of how good of a shot you are. There are just too many variables (out of your control) once you release the string. For example, by the time an arrow travels such distances an animal could have easily taken a step or two and an intended chest shot could turn into a rump shot.

Jeff

Muz1970

#7 Post by Muz1970 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:22 am

Some very nice Billies, the blind certainly works for you. How long do you hide in there for? Reckon I'd get a bit impatient.

Nice work.....Muz

hazard

#8 Post by hazard » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Love your work Jack!

Those billies have great curls in the horns, healthy looking animals.

I would be pretty chuffed getting a goat of that size, i cant imagine how big the larger ones were you took before.

Great pickies mate.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Jack Spinks

#9 Post by Jack Spinks » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Yeah the blinds work a treat mate, we stayed in there all day well from dawn till about 3pm, we look over hundreds so it doesn't get too boring always something interesting coming through