On the way home from the Tully Trad Shoot

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

On the way home from the Tully Trad Shoot

#1 Post by rodlonq » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Before heading to Tully Trad on Friday I made arrangements to drop into a property for a spot of hunting on the way home. My travelling mate Brenton had used my longbow all weekend at the shoot and was getting the hang of it but still not confident enough to hunt with it. First light on Monday morning found us walking Northeast into the wind to check out a dam where the property owners had butchered an old cow for dog baits during the previous week. Glassing the area revealed no pigs on the carcass to the north of the dam, so we were a little disappointed but were still in sneak mode. Then I noticed a pig walking towards the dam from south obviously smelling the carcass and looking for it. Brenton hadn't taken a pig with his bow yet so I sent him in and he was onto the sow in no time. He took his time and a few shots but got the job done. I told him he should have used the longbow :biggrin: .
BrentonStalk.JPG
BrentonStalk.JPG (105.4 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
By half an hour after daylight Brenton had his first pig on the ground and I was looking forward to my turn at the next dam a couple of kms walk away.
BrentonSow220914.jpg
BrentonSow220914.jpg (202.86 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
We walked a lot of creeks and check probably a dozen dams with no sight (and even not very much sign) of pigs. It was getting past mid afternoon when we came drove towards the last dam from downwind and stopped about 200 m short to glass the area. There were no pigs to be seen so Brenton said "let's drive up there incase there is one we can't see and we'll pack away the gear before heading home". The cattle on this place are really quite and flocked around the ute looking for a handout. Then Brenton spotted a pig in the dam eating lilies and shut down the truck. I was off with one arrow on the string and a spare in my bow hand. I had to go about 50 m south along a gully full of water before I could start my stalk and I covered as much ground as fast as I could because I was sure Brenton fighting with the cows would raise the alarm for the pig. In fact The cows wanted to follow me on my stalk as well until I jumped over the muddy end of the gully and spooked them away with frantic gestures. Back to the pig, it seemed like only seconds later I was deciding ether to go around the bush in front of me, risking detection, or taking the shot from about 9 metres. The pig looked over to the commotion from the cows, so my decision was made for me.
RodRelease.jpg
RodRelease.jpg (221.81 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
The shot was perfect and the sow let out one soft grunt, walked about 15 slow shaky steps and expired without fuss. I was stoked with the quality of the shot even though I had only taken an old sow with it. I just love wide razor sharp broadheads, they are so effective.
RodSow220914.jpg
RodSow220914.jpg (287.79 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Best thing is the shot was a clean pass through and my arrow went into the dam behind the sow for an immediate clean and no harm done (glad I had my favourite boxers on yesterday :lol: )
ArrowInMud.jpg
ArrowInMud.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
These were the only two pigs we saw for a full day of hunting so I understood why the property owner said we may not see anything. Looking forward to the next hunt, but I will have to find another place because the baiting will reduce the numbers even further.

Flatliner

Re: On the way home from the Tully Trad Shoot

#2 Post by Flatliner » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Very nice Rod, great way to end an archery weekend.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Good stuff Rod :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Good yarn mate and congrats on the pigs. Great photos as well. Thanks!

Jeff

BowmanBjorn

#5 Post by BowmanBjorn » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm

nicely done mate,

i'm jealous while you were hunting i was unpacking the family camping gear :(

look forward to the next shoot.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Great to see you get a couple mate, Especially with your own gear you made nothing beats it.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.