need advice!!

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

beareboy

need advice!!

#1 Post by beareboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:34 pm

G'day everyone, just need some opinions on what bow to buy, i'm mainly after pigs and goats, just wondering what would be the best bow to use? thanks in advance

Beareboy

little arrows

Re: need advice!!

#2 Post by little arrows » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:16 pm

well I guess a 150# warbow with 35" arrows is out of the question..... :lol:

perhaps some clues to your rough age (teen, adolesant which can cover from 17-80), build, preference for longbow ?? recurve???.
I mean I could tell you I used a 45# longbow to hunt with, however I am a bit of a girl.... :biggrin:

cheers
sue

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Welcome to the forum beareboy. As Sue has said your question is a bit like asking what car to buy. :biggrin:

Please give us some idea what your bow preference is or if you have shot a Trad bow before etc. This will help us to give you some better answers.

Jeff

beareboy

#4 Post by beareboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:14 pm

hey everyone sorry my question was dull, im 18 and im 6 foot 1 ive used recurve and compound and ive messed around with a horse bow?

im looking for a compound but not sure what would be best ive got 5-6 years experience with target archery and about 2 years experience with hunting ferals

hope this helps a little bit

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Bearboy,

As both Sue and Jeff say above, your question is a bit open ended.

Irregardless of your age and physical strength, my suggestions are as follows -

Choose a bow and arrow set which is capable of humanely killing the largest of the species you wish to hunt. That combination will be perfectly adequate for all the other species.

Secondly, my most basic recommendation for hunting pigs is to use a bow of whatever style with a minimum draw weight of 50lbs at your draw length and using hunting arrows with a 2-bladed broadhead sharpened to razor sharpness which have a mass of 10 grains of arrow mass to every 1 lb of draw weight. That means using an arrow of 500 grains mass from a 50lb bow.

That standard has been a well understood and effective ratio between bow draw weight and arrow mass for very many decades.

Those are the very minima I would suggest.

A good recurved bow will, on average, discharge an arrow at slightly higher velocity than a longbow, but in practice, there is not much in it these days. Your bow is more a case of personal preference. Recurves often have a take-down feature which is good for carrying a small parcel. Longbows rarely have this feature, but I have never been in a situation where my longbows did not have enough storage room in my vehicle, so the choice wasn't an issue.

Listen to advice of course, but don't be swayed by anything which sounds like propaganda toward OR away from a bow which you feel some sympathy toward. Liking a particular style of bow goes a long way toward shooting it well.

Also, importantly, is the consideration in using a traditional bow, that you have stopped growing lengthways.

This means that the epipheses (the rounded ends) of your long bones have closed and stabilised. The epiphesis is the rounded cap on the end of long bones in the limbs which has a gap between it and the shank of the bone. This gap or epiphesis, is where growth occurs as the bone lengthens during puberty and younger. It usually closes by the end of puberty when the youth begins to 'fill out' and develop more muscle mass after reaching full adult height.

In younger people who have not yet stopped growing, these epipheses or bone ends, have not closed and the stress of shooting a traditional bow can cause bone deformity if they push to try to shoot bows at the very maximum of their strength.

Young people should shoot bows which are well under their maximum strength to avoid later skeletal problems.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm

beareboy wrote:im looking for a compound but not sure what would be best
Sorry I can't help you with that one. This is a Traditional Bowhunting/Archery forum so perhaps not the best place to ask about compounds. :biggrin:

May I suggest you take a look at this forum http://www.bowhunting-forum.com/forum.php I'm sure you would get better answers to your questions from the members there as the forum is more focused on compound bows.

Of course your most welcome to hang around here to and join in on the conversations.

Jeff

beareboy

#7 Post by beareboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:28 pm

thanks dennis, ive had a look around and my mate owns a martin blade x4 and ive been using that and feels real nice was just wondering what opinions other people had

beareboy

beareboy

#8 Post by beareboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:30 pm

ah cheers jeff will have a look and yeah ill stick around, theres some good stories on here

beareboy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:30 pm

beareboy wrote:and yeah ill stick around, theres some good stories on here
Good to hear mate. :biggrin:

Jeff

beareboy

#10 Post by beareboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:40 pm

No worries mate, will post some stories in the next few months if thats alright

beareboy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:03 pm

beareboy wrote:No worries mate, will post some stories in the next few months if thats alright
Yep no probs so long as the stories are Trad related and not just featuring compound bows.

Jeff

beareboy

#12 Post by beareboy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:02 pm

no worries mate, will do

AndyF

#13 Post by AndyF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am

little arrows wrote:well I guess a 150# warbow with 35" arrows is out of the question..... :lol:

perhaps some clues to your rough age (teen, adolesant which can cover from 17-80), build, preference for longbow ?? recurve???.
I mean I could tell you I used a 45# longbow to hunt with, however I am a bit of a girl.... :biggrin:

cheers
sue
Sue, so which 'bit of a girl' are you? :)

martin32parker

#14 Post by martin32parker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:12 am

hi, beareboy!

since you are a teenager, you may check on youth bows or youth compound bows first and see if there is a bow that matches your hunting needs. you can also check on some sites and forums that could help you decide on what make and model fits you considering your age and gender. Authority Archery is the site that i checked when i was unsure of what bow to buy the first time i got into hunting.

Parker