Off to Hunt With Gundy on Sundy!!

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Off to Hunt With Gundy on Sundy!!

#1 Post by erron » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:38 pm

:P :P :P

Alright, for the first time in how long I'm outta the rat race and off for a day's shooting and hopefully, hunting in Gippsland, with Guy Curtis tomorrow.

This means I won't be on the board tomorrow, and probably not until sometime late Monday. I know you'll all behave :wink:

Will let you all know how we got on when I get back.

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:34 pm

All the best Erron & Guy. Hope you have a great day afield. Don't forget the cameras. Jeff

gundy

#3 Post by gundy » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:28 pm

Camera batteries charging as we speak Jeff, or type for that matter.

Rabbits, Foxes and Deer...the Gippy grand slam (is that what they call it?) :?

Should be a good day, now Erron, it was black coffee, no sugar, or white coffee 1 sugar?

:D

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:31 pm

Don't worry mate: I'm packing a thermos as well!

See you then!

Erron

:P :P :P

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:54 pm

We're waiting for a hunt report fellas! :D

gundy

#6 Post by gundy » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:38 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:43 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: That looks good Guy :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jeff

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:51 pm

C'on Erron we can see your back so give us the run down of the hunt. :D

erron

#9 Post by erron » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:04 pm

Okay,

well, we failed to nail anything, though I missed a rabbit at 20 :?: yards, maybe closer :(

If they'd only sit still, damn it!

:lol:

Saw some beautiful country: lightly timbered native forest, old pine plantation gone wild, melaleuca scrub, open swampy tussocky stuff; a beautiful mix.

The wind, when it blew, was a bit against us, changing to our backs all the time, but the main problem I think might have been how generally still the day was overall: very quiet, and hard to close on any game with everything crunching underfoot.

Later on, we went up in the foothills and found lots of Sambar sign, wallows and so on. Took some snaps of this country, which sure is steep! :shock: When Guy emails them to me I'll post them here.

(Did I mention that I hope to enable all users to post their own graphics by the end of next week? This will be a lead up to the photos page, where you can all post any photos you like, or think relevant.)

Anyway, I'm a bit on the weary side, having been on the road since 4 a.m. and hunting 'hard' most of the day, so if I've missed anything, Guy, fill in the gaps, mate! :)

Talk again soon,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:12 pm

Thanks Erron. Sounds like it was a good days hunt with you getting to see some very interesting sights. Those wascally wabbits are hard to hit hey? Did you manage to whistle up a fox?

Well at least you can go to work tomorrow for a rest huh? :P

Jeff

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:55 pm

Sorry for the stir up above Jeff ( :D :D :D )...I could not resist mate... :wink:

Today was extremely quiet, it seemed that every critter in the area found out that 'Sharp shootin Erron' had rode into town, so they stayed low...

That wabbit was just lucky mate, he ducked when we wanted him to weave!

Well, I guess we saw the very diverse midlands (as I call them) and even had time to zip up to a bit of local Sambar country. Plenty of fresh sign but nothing to show for it other than a bloody enjoyable day Erron, thanks for coming down mate and you are welcome back anytime.

Next time we will go for a day's stroll along the coastal wetlands...that should just about fill the last peice of the puzzle concerning how diverse VIC can really be.

I would have to add that we took some pretty good tussoks mixed with a couple of nice logs. I guess I better also admit that I think Erron may have won the stump shoot comp... :roll:

Nice shootin tex!

Pics are being emailed as I type this - especially the one with the 2 badass mexican amigos...ariba!

erron

#12 Post by erron » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:56 pm

Maaaaaaaaaate!!!:
Next time we will go for a day's stroll along the coastal wetlands
... I am there, Guy :lol:

Question is, how do we get folks like the Maryborough Gringo and Jewell of the Newell down to show us how it's done :?: :?: :)

I've posted the photos in a separate thread, called Sambar Country or something - don't know why it's a separate thread but think it's because I'm so damn tired :!: :!: :!:

:lol:

cheers, and good night!

Erron

Glenn Newell

#13 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:29 pm

I'm not much of a hunter, more of a sightseer. When is the best time to hunt sambar and when is the rut? I always love hunting new country...Glenn...

gundy

#14 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:14 am

I think that there is never a 'best time' to hunt Sambar...they vary their habits from deer to deer and day to day...and then just when you think you have them sorted out, the buggers go and change their ways again... :x

However, April through to October seems to be the months that most people go by and with fairly good success.

April is out for me as I will be chasing the Hoggie's this coming season.

So when can we expect some interstate visitors? I have a property I could possibly get onto, it is that good, I only get an oppurtunity to enter the holy gate once every 10 years or so, as is the law of the gatekeeper.

Should I contact him and start making plans? :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:25 pm

I've been telling Erron that we will be coming down sometime. It was supposed to be this year (we want to see snow) but we didn't make it. We were going to stay with Col Graham and then Dennis and then our little Gringo mate. Maybe next year.

A wander around some of that country of yours would be great. Of course you can come up this way and we'll wander out west for a looks see as well. Jeff

gundy

#16 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:23 pm

Just say the word mate and I will be there. Never hunted pigs before.

Glenn Newell

#17 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:19 pm

I couldn't get away this year again at all, just far too busy, had to knock back a free moose hunt in Newfound Land for this month because of too little notice and money, un-bloody real. I could come down any time after next April and before August. Would be good to see some new country...Glenn...

erron

#18 Post by erron » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:37 am

Glenn,

if you come down we should try to organize something like a bow workshop or something like that, what do you think :?:

There is a bit of a resurgence in Traditional in Victoria - well, Gundy and me :D - so we should be able to get a few bodies together for a camp and a shoot, with hunting sometime ... whatever.

Something to think about?

Erron