Sambar hunt

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickthrower

Sambar hunt

#1 Post by Stickthrower » Fri May 16, 2014 6:33 pm

After scouting around many times in the last few weeks Ive found a spot that might allow me to get close enough to get a sambar. Ive had many failed attemps over the years, mostly because of my own mistakes but sometimes just plain bad luck ( i believe).
The other night I set myself up for a 'still wait' in a spot I`d been glassing from an opposite hill the past few weeks, so I knew the deer were going to be there. The air movement was in my favour, I was on the game trail they had been using every night the previous 4 nights , 3 hinds ,2 spikers.
Anyway 3 hinds and 1 spiker showed up right on cue but on another game trail about 50mtrs up the hill in slight cover, casually walking by slowing and silently not a care in the world having no clue I was there. So I decided to drop my guard get up quietly and move away to go home and come back another time, but as I got up and turned around , there was the other spiker 10ft or less away from me staring at me trying to figure me out , but my bow wasnt ready and it took off . So theres another oportunity gone, but Im going back next week, I dont think I disturbed them too much so heres hoping for next time.
What I have noticed over the years is that the ground is better off being dry and noisey for still wait, at least that way you have some chance of hearing them coming otherwise they will just ghost in front of you before you know it and take you by suprise like on this occasion. Anyway very frustrating at times.