The converting hunt

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Spinks

The converting hunt

#1 Post by Jack Spinks » Sat May 03, 2014 11:32 am

Max Preece an I have done some hunting together no and we dragged a good mate Elliot Woo down for the wknd to have a go at a few billies and try get him his PB, but he carried a wheelie bow. I swore to max by the end of the trip I have him converted and only just a few days ago we organised him a bow and now owns a Samick Ligjtning and will join me on a few good trips soon enough.. Anyway back to the hunt, we walked around in the hot as heat all morning sweating like mad. The boys with their warm weather clothes struggled with the heat and felt like idiots for bagging me out for ripping my sleeves off my top.. We eventually found a large mob and we set max up in front, wind was perfect and a neat billy fed through the scrub, max came to full draw front on but let down as the billy fed broadside at 5m. "Thump" max drove his pink feathers through the billy which made for a wicked video..

Stoked this was Max's PB billy so he was pumped, as we took photos of Max's goat another fed towards us and at 15m front on wooey punched a VAP Slicktrick shaft through him and a broadside heart shot to finish him off from 30m.. So I put the hard word on him to turn trad and being as persuasive as I am he's converted.. Can't wait to take him out.. We caught a good boar that night with the hounds just to take the boys out for the first time pigging.. Catvhing a solid lump of 93kg I explained to the boys who hadn't seen a big pig up close that these pads on these big boars take some seripus consideration.. They had their eyes opened, I cut the pad out for teaching purposes and explained that an arrow had to penetrated the mud than the pad befor the ribs etc, over 3" of solid material before you even hit the ribs.. Enjoy
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.01 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.01 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

" Puts anything down hard and fast"

hazard

Re: The converting hunt

#2 Post by hazard » Mon May 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Nice work Jack.

It looks like a hoot 8)

How's it feel to graduate someone up from training wheels?

Putting game on the ground, love your work mate!

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Jack Spinks

#3 Post by Jack Spinks » Tue May 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Nothing excites me more than watching a converted fella take their first trad kill
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

Brett Finger

#4 Post by Brett Finger » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 am

good stuff man,
great to see young fellas, loving the TRAD life !!!
Kind Regards, Bretto :smile:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Jack Spinks

#5 Post by Jack Spinks » Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 am

thanks Brett, I think that its rare to see young fellas with trad gear, I believe that the hyp from the compound world sucks them into buying wheels.. nothing excites me more than watching new people with trad gear

PJS

#6 Post by PJS » Wed May 07, 2014 3:58 pm

The Hype and the fact they can hit something because all these compounds are fitted with sights and they dont have to do a heck of a lot of practice.

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 pm

I personally feel this romantic ideal people fall in love with will never fulfill the pure satisfaction of a trad kill. But Magazines sell wheels very well :roll: but how can they possibly know? :wink:

I don't mind using a compound from time to time but the satisfaction of trad still wins the day, compounds still have their place make no mistake, but I believe I really only learned to appreciate Trad more as I got older.

Many mates I know are forced not by choice to go wheelie because of age and injury and I may even have to walk that path myself but not by choice.

Shooting trad really improves your form so if you have diverted the innocent early in the scene to set their form in a more solid foundation if they ultimately choose they will have the luxury of being devastating when they hunt with a Wheelie. 8)

Again Love your work.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Jack Spinks

#8 Post by Jack Spinks » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Most if not all compound hunters who hunt with me either say they're keen to have a go at mine or say they will buy one and have a go.. It's plain addictive

The Ranger

#9 Post by The Ranger » Thu May 08, 2014 3:19 pm

You're right about it being addictive Jack. I like nothing more than to get out on my property and go for a walk for a few hours. I might see a few bunnies or a fox and only get a couple of shots off but you definitely get the adrenalin going. For me, it's the simplicity of the stick and string with no sights or assistance of any kind.

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.