a bit early in the season

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

slowhand

a bit early in the season

#1 Post by slowhand » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:01 am

This is what I came across this morning.
I've known this spot for a long time, it's always been a stand producing a buck or two during rut.
This year it started early, usually I would find the marks on the ground indicating "stand fight" prior to mating season in mid April, sometimes early May.
You will notice rather strong wind, which on this terrain makes bow hunting difficult due sudden changes in direction.
I did try to get closer...wouldn't shoot, juts to get a better photo with this sh..ty camera, but the wind swirled and blew behind me...they sensed me and took of in the scrub.
There are days when I feel better taking them home in memory card than in the tray of my ute :)
http://youtu.be/p_tFNsDF0R4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL_7R1jAQ_I
Here I was just (in Serbian language) explaining to my overseas friends the aftermath, the signs of fight on the ground as well as surrounding terrain and potential spots that fallow chooses for a stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS95AqW6j10
Last edited by slowhand on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trickster and seductress we
tapdancing on mine field every day...
in volatile sway...
Young and Freud would kill each other over us,
yet somehow we just stay...
on our way...

bigbob

Re: a bit early in the season

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:37 pm

thanks for the clips, probably closer than I'm likely to get to a deer this season!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 am

Good Clips thanks for posting. I love looking at these type Video's and gleaming info. I was talking to a few of the Lads down at the Grange yesterday and they where saying the Fallow in the Brisbane Valley are Grunting now. I'm hoping to find a Northern New England Fallow that has eluded me 3 times previously this coming Anzac Weekend assuming no one else has got him [likely] and was hoping against hope they may still be Rutting, looks like I'll miss it. Down that way they have Grunted into May in previous Years. All I need is more time and money :biggrin:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

slowhand

#4 Post by slowhand » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I was there yesterday morning. The bucks are preparing stands, but grunting hasn't started yet.They need few more cold and drizzly days to trigger the hormone rush.
It is going to warm up by the end of the week, I reckon the show will start around mid April.
Trickster and seductress we
tapdancing on mine field every day...
in volatile sway...
Young and Freud would kill each other over us,
yet somehow we just stay...
on our way...