Almost

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

memo

Almost

#1 Post by memo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Hey fellas,
Went out for a look around for a Red the other day, mainly to see if they had rubbed out yet. Saw little sign, and the ground was cornflakes, but I managed to miss a rabbit, and l tried to get the eye in with a few shots at tussocks.
Was picking up an arrow from a shot and saw three young Red stags across the gully, on the edge of a clearing. I slowly got my camera out and snapped a couple of shabby handheld pics (need to take the tripod out).

As they fed down into the gully I crept down to try to intercept them. I set up with a few wattles around me to break up my outline and let out a hind call. I heard some movement in some blackberries off to my right, not where the stags should have been. I let out another call, thinking it might be an older stag apart from the young ones, and received an alarm bark for my effort.

Ten seconds later another bark, and a hind and her yearling broke cover and paused broadside at what I quickly guessed at 35-40m, held over and let rip. I saw the arrow pass over her back right where I was aiming and crash into the blackberries behind. That caused what seemed like a stampede as around 20-30 hinds, yearlings and young stags erupted out of the gully below and took off.

I had a young stag and some hinds prop broadside to me, but it was a bit too far and I was dirty on myself for fluffing the first shot and didn't want to take a risky one.

I was positive I missed but still followed the escape route for a while to make sure no blood was drawn. I had a token look for the arrow, as without a machete, I was not going to get near it. I paced out the shot and it was only 30m. Ah well, The Thunderchild will have to wait to draw first blood.

I was pretty happy to at least get a shot in, and here's hoping those Hinds bring a few big boys out of the hills come late March/April.
Cheers Memo.

bigbob

Re: Almost

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Bet the ol' adrenalin was pumping ! Thanks for sharing!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Here hoping you get another crack at them next time Memo. That photo ain't that shabby mate, I would be happy to have taken it.

Cheers..... Rod

Muz1970

#4 Post by Muz1970 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:46 am

I'm so jealous, unlucky about the shot :cry:

Wish we had deer over here.........................................................................in WA

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:03 am

Whenever I go deer hunting, I still regard the day as a success even if I have been just lucky enough to see some deer. Just seeing them mesmerises me so much, I often forget why I'm there.

Although I've been within easy range of red deer a few times, I never felt good about the shot that was being offered, with wrong angles and so forth, so I didn't shoot. It would be mind blowing to actually deck one, I imagine.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Memo. You will remember that day forever. :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.