Bream fishing at Marlo

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Bream fishing at Marlo

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:36 pm

I've been away the last couple of days getting my fix of my other passion, lure fishing for bream. It was an enjoyable little trip. The weather was nearly perfect and the fish were on the bite.
Attachments
SAM_0304_Converted.JPG
SAM_0304_Converted.JPG (68.99 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0303_Converted.JPG
SAM_0303_Converted.JPG (68.03 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0302_Converted.JPG
SAM_0302_Converted.JPG (68.66 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0301_Converted.JPG
SAM_0301_Converted.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0300_Converted.JPG
SAM_0300_Converted.JPG (57.68 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0299_Converted.JPG
SAM_0299_Converted.JPG (60.42 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0298_Converted.JPG
SAM_0298_Converted.JPG (57.09 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0297_Converted.JPG
SAM_0297_Converted.JPG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0296_Converted.JPG
SAM_0296_Converted.JPG (88.4 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
SAM_0294_Converted.JPG
SAM_0294_Converted.JPG (68.91 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

Re: Bream fishing at Marlo

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:42 pm

I didn't take a photo of all the fish I caught and some that I did take didn't come out. The photos aren't very artistic I afraid. I didn't want to injure the fish by leaving them out of the water for too long, as they were all released afterwards. None of the fish are large, but they were all good fun to catch.
Attachments
SAM_0311_Converted.JPG
SAM_0311_Converted.JPG (72.96 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
SAM_0310_Converted.JPG
SAM_0310_Converted.JPG (81 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
SAM_0309_Converted.JPG
SAM_0309_Converted.JPG (30.71 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
SAM_0308_Converted.JPG
SAM_0308_Converted.JPG (67.32 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
SAM_0306_Converted.JPG
SAM_0306_Converted.JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by kerry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:45 pm

looks a nice spot Mick , what reel is that ?
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:49 pm

It's a Shimano Stella 1000 kerry. It's a lovely little reel. It's spooled up with super fine 4lb braid with a 3lb fluorocarbon leader about 12' long. The rod is a Nitro Vapor 7'.

Marlo is a magic little spot alright. It's very pretty. It is located at the mouth of the Snowy River.

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:22 pm

is that last fish a blackfish (luderick)? if it is that's the 1st i've ever heard of one caught on a lure.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by kerry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Mick Smith wrote:It's a Shimano Stella 1000 kerry. It's a lovely little reel. It's spooled up with super fine 4lb braid with a 3lb fluorocarbon leader about 12' long. The rod is a Nitro Vapor 7'.

Marlo is a magic little spot alright. It's very pretty. It is located at the mouth of the Snowy River.

my daughter and her husband own a holiday house at Loch Sport, I may have to hit em up for a holiday later in the year. love fishing with light gear.
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Great fishing Mick, my gps has been saying its a good time for fishing so I am heading out tomorrow. Thanks for the pics. Steve

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

yeah great fishing Mick! I've never hear of a luderick caught on a lure either! Lot of fun in all that lot, lucky you!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Looks like you had some fun. How come you didn't take any to eat? I like that scenic photo of the snag out in the water.

Jeff

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Afternoon Mick
Mick Smith wrote:I've been away the last couple of days getting my fix of my other passion, lure fishing for bream. ...
And Flathead and Tailor and Luderick (Blackfish). It appears to all be on hard body lures. :mrgreen:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Trad Bound

#11 Post by Trad Bound » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Mick it looks like it was a struggle to enjoy yourself,nice one.
TonyJ

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm

clinton miller wrote:is that last fish a blackfish (luderick)? if it is that's the 1st i've ever heard of one caught on a lure.
Yes Clinton, its a luderick. They're normally a weed eater, but they will take live fish occasionally. I've done a lot of lure fishing in estuaries and I've caught just a few in the past. They're a rare catch on lures though. The lure it took is quite large too, at 74mm long. I was fishing for bream and the luderick was a pleasant by catch. They're a particularly hard fighting fish for their size.

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:17 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Looks like you had some fun. How come you didn't take any to eat? I like that scenic photo of the snag out in the water.

Jeff
Marlo is a very pretty spot Jeff. You could take a good photo anywhere there, just about. The fish were lucky, I suppose. Fishing is like hunting, in that the best times are dawn and dusk. In the mornings I would have breakfast before heading out and in the evenings I would have dinner before heading out fishing, so I was never actually hungry whilst fishing. I also walked very long distances while fishing along the edges and I didn't want to be burdened with carrying fish. I would normally take a flathead or two for eating, as they're much nicer to eat than bream.

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 pm

GrahameA wrote:Afternoon Mick
Mick Smith wrote:I've been away the last couple of days getting my fix of my other passion, lure fishing for bream. ...
And Flathead and Tailor and Luderick (Blackfish). It appears to all be on hard body lures. :mrgreen:

Yes Grahame, all on hard body lures. I even managed to take a few on surface (walk the dog) hard bodied lures, which is heaps of fun. It's very exciting when you see big surface boils around your lure. I will persevere with hard body lures even when other methods are proving more successful.

I find using hard body lures to be a challenge. It's fun to work out which lure might be effective under the various conditions.

Interestingly, there was an experienced (at least he looked experienced) bait fisherman fishing nearby and he couldn't raise a scale. :biggrin:

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:31 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Mick it looks like it was a struggle to enjoy yourself,nice one.
TonyJ
bigbob wrote:yeah great fishing Mick! I've never hear of a luderick caught on a lure either! Lot of fun in all that lot, lucky you!
longbow steve wrote:Great fishing Mick, my gps has been saying its a good time for fishing so I am heading out tomorrow. Thanks for the pics. Steve
Fishing is very enjoyable. It's the ideal thing to do on these hot summer days, when all you can expect to find in the bush is dry crackling leaves underfoot and the odd snake, not to mention the stinking heat.

Thanks for the kind comments. :smile:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Mick Smith wrote:The fish were lucky, I suppose. Fishing is like hunting, in that the best times are dawn and dusk. In the mornings I would have breakfast before heading out and in the evenings I would have dinner before heading out fishing, so I was never actually hungry whilst fishing. I also walked very long distances while fishing along the edges and I didn't want to be burdened with carrying fish. I would normally take a flathead or two for eating, as they're much nicer to eat than bream.
Thanks mate as I just wondered. No use taking them if you don't want to eat them.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 am

looks like fun Mick :wink:

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 am

LB rod 55 wrote:looks like fun Mick :wink:
It's fun alright Rod! It's a bit like mini barra fishing, but without the crocs. :biggrin:

In my view, it's the perfect activity for hot summer days. To cool off, you only have to jump in.

rodlonq

#19 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Good fish in' Mick, well done mate.

Cheers... Rod