CAMO GEAR

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

CAMO GEAR

#1 Post by Sparra » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:56 pm

Gaday folks...At the moment when i hunt i use home made throwover camo gear that seems to work quite well.I have been saving the penny's to get myself a 3d suit but am undecided as to what to buy and if in fact they help in the stalk or am i just getting caught up in the keeping up with the jones's syndrome...Any thoughts appreciated.
Regards....Sparra

tracker

#2 Post by tracker » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:55 pm

I've only owned one set of camo gear. It is a 3D suit by ASAT. It's very good quality gear. Tough. You can throw it over whatever else you are wearing and you are all camo'ed up really quickly.

Animals just don't seem to see you if you are still and heaps will switch back to feeding after scoping you out for a minute. Helps if you get busted moving at the wrong time. :oops:

It IS expensive. But I use it all the time and it just seems better and better.

I also own a pair of 2d ASAT trousers. They are very good quality too. Reinforced across the ar$e and the knees. 6 good pockets and everything double sewn. They are fairly pricey too but as I only wear them when I'm in the bush for days at a time I should get a few years out of them. :)

Are there other camo's you are looking at?

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Sparra

CAMO

#3 Post by Sparra » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:13 pm

Gaday Mick...You must be by the computer every minute by the quick response.I have been saving for the ASAT 3d but there are a few around that are quite a bit cheaper so i thought i would put out some feelers and see if it as good as the reports..I'm interested to know what everyone else is wearing and if anyone has changed from something else to ASAT and if it improved there hunting....
Regards...Sparra

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:37 pm

I've still got a lot of the stuff that I had when I was in the army cadets, which is standard DPCU. It works pretty good, but the thing is, the animals that I intermittently hunt at home (rabbits, hares etc) the game is used to people being around (on a farm) so you can get kinda close wearing a Big Bird outfit. I doubt you could shoot well in a Big Bird outfit, :wink: but anyway.............

Because I'm an impoverished uni student, and I wanted 3d camo, I'd get some old 2d cams and a hesian bag, cut the bag into strips, die some of them different shades of brown, green and grey with veggie dye and sew them little strips on all over the clothes. Maybe I'll do it someday. :?:

I'd really like to go on a hunt where camo is important, rather than just walk around on my farm someday.

I'm starting to waffle, so I'll leave it there, having not really made a point in 5min of writing. :)

Yeoman
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:37 pm

Just sitting here working matey.. hehehehe.. :roll:

I don't know whether it's any BETTER than predator or something else but I do know it's GOOD.

My ASAT is worth pretty much the same as all the rest of my bows and gear together. It's the ONLY expensive thing I've bought so far. Just watching Adam sneaking round in it sold me.. he was soooo hard to spot.

The other reason I bought it was because it is TOUGH. It has a bit of life in it and as we all know hitting the scrub is pretty hard on clothing. :shock:

I'll be interested to hear what else people are wearing and enjoying.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:24 am

Sparra,

I normally don't comment much on camo threads because I am not a camo person - don't you say anything Cletus! :lol:

I do not and will not use it. Why? I simply do not see the need for it!

I get my hackles up everytime I read comments like "such and such camo will make you a better hunter" - meaning your success as a hunter is attributable to the type of camo clothing you wear.

These kinds of claims are inexcusable and utter garbage!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to wear the stuff. A good way to ruin a hunting photo in my opinion. I also simply don't like the image of a hunter in camo.

When I say there is no need for it, I am specifically talking about camo clothing 3D or otherwise. I do however believe you need to blend into your surroundings. This doen't mean just the type of clothing you wear. It encompases a lot of things which I term 'bush craft'.

This involves knowing about the game you are hunting, using the wind to your advantage, use any available cover or the conture of the land to your avantage, move only when the game isn't looking, watch where and how you are walking to lessen noise, use clothing that blends in and is soft and doesn't make noise, use quiet footwear etc.

I can do all of the above without the need to wear the latest and greatest camo clothing. If you have the wind in your favour than I believe the single most important thing when hunting is movement. It will give you away to your game more than anything else and it doesn't matter if your wearing camo or not.

So, what do I wear hunting? I use a checked shirt and I believe this breaks up a persons outline just fine. For pants I use RM Williams jeans and I wear my Akubra hat. Simple yet effective.

If you or anyone else chooses to wear camo that's fine - I did myself many years ago and even put face paint on a couple of times. :shock: As Cletus has kindly pointed out elsewear on this site, I now have my beard instead. :D

Well that's my take on the subject. I know many people will disagree but that's OK. Again, if you or anyone else chooses to wear camo that's fine, it's just that I have now chosen not to.

Jeff

tracker

#7 Post by tracker » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:17 pm

Jeff's right on this. The wind and movement give ME more problems than anything else when hunting.

Saul and I went stalking the other day.. he had on light khaki pants and a brown flanny and he was very hard to spot in the scrub and really hard to see when he was not moving.

I find the ASAT good because I can slip it over any clothing or just a pair of shorts if it's hot.

Jeff, or anyone else, have you ever tried natural camo?

Dirt, grass or skin outfits? My avatar is a photo of "The Iceman" reproduction and his clothing looks very camo'ed to me.

Mick.

Sparra

#8 Post by Sparra » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:10 pm

Gaday fella's..Thanks for the reply's and as i said asat was my preference and i have snapped up Hubris's gear pending fitting.......so i'll give it a go and see what happens...
Regards....Sparra

Derelict2

subject

#9 Post by Derelict2 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:24 am

Hey Stickbow I must have been around for a while 'cause I've seen and still have photos in Mags of you in cams :D I also have a copy of your article on camo. I can see your point. It does not matter what you are wearing, if you are on the move and get seen the game is usually up. I have had the experience of getting sprung but getting away with it 'cause the movement was slow and steady and I swayed gently to and fro like a small tree in the wind.
I also think wear what makes you feel comfortable and focused. The head has to be disguised. I think a brimmed hat takes away the head and shoulder human shape. And if wearing a solid colour, light is preferred. Patterned the best.
Sparra I have been wearing cams for years 'cause I trash my good clothes out bush and having totally hunting clothes keeps the Minister for Hunting Funds relatively happy. I have Advantage lightweight stuff that breathes really well and goes over your jocks or trackies. A home made 3d, but I think the best in lantana county and is very heavy and hot. And I use a bit of Auscam as well 'cause the missus is military. I like the ASAT.
I still believe walk little, look a lot, wind right, think like your intended critter, know his habits and you will have success. HUNT HARD. Dero 8)
walk softly but carry a big stick

hubris

#10 Post by hubris » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:14 am

Sparra, not long after I got into this, I was sitting in the National Library waiting for my wife, and got reading some old Kevin Whiting articles. There were photos of him hunting big pigs with stubby shorts, singlet (with pocket for thongs) and in bare feet... I remember thinking 'that's cool!'

I grabbed the ASAT gear off adam because I was just so damn impressed with it. After seeing movies of Adam in action while wearing it, stalking into 5-7m, and then seeing it in real life, I thought 'that's cool!' also.

A short while ago I was chatting to Butch, and not long watched the 'Last of the Mohicans', read a little about Indian hunting clothes and was really taekn with that also.

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is that how the hunter feels about themselves and how they look in the bush is as much of their persona as their bow, arrows and hunting techniques.

I think as long as you pick something that you enjoy whether it be a single fig leaf, or a suit of light bending Predator suit, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Just some thoughts from a new bowhunter. :)

Do you still want me to send it down?
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

trash one

#11 Post by trash one » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:34 pm

Hay Saul
I think your right on the money,it doesn't worry me what anybody wears,its what they feel comfortable and stealthy in that really matters.I wear bib and brace overalls, they have heaps of pockets, they're comfortable and because I'm short the extra bit that gets rolled up on the bottom of the legs helps to protect my ankles from the spinifex spikes.That works well for me here but that may not be the case if I was somewhere elseI think to many people spend to much time thinking about camo and which i best and whats going to work when its actually best just to get out and hunt and learn.

CATCH YA

BUTCH