Hunting Rhinos lions and zebra

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

DrAK DaRippa

Hunting Rhinos lions and zebra

#1 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 pm

This is an interesting piece of journalism by Louis Theroux regarding the state of african game hunting. this video will have expired by the 22/12/13.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/77998828

sorry if people in other states have trouble viewing it, i have no idea what the restrictions on this are.

Mick Smith

Re: Hunting Rhinos lions and zebra

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:34 am

I watched this episode on tele just the other night. This sort of fenced in hunting, common in South Africa, certainly isn't my cup of tea. It appeared to me, that the only source of food and water were located within easy range of permanent hides. The only good thing that might be said about this whole concept is that it maintains a good population of African animals that otherwise might become threatened by human encroachment.

Personally, I found the show quite annoying. The presenter is one of those people who simply cannot understand the philosophy behind the desire to hunt, as he has absolutely no desire himself. These people usually just don't get it, regardless of what they're told. The whole show revolved around the presenter asking the various 'hunters' why they hunt and how can they do that to an 'innocent' animal. There were lots of scenes where the blood was highlighted dramatically. The presenter thought he would immerse himself in the activity by taking part personally, but when it came time to attempt to shoot a small warthog with a crossbow, he just couldn't do it. He said that he was happy enough to eat the meat, but he simply wouldn't kill an animal, which to me sounds hypocritical indeed, especially from one who criticises people who will.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:22 am

Morning Mick.
Mick Smith wrote: ..... Personally, I found the show quite annoying. The presenter is one of those people who simply cannot understand the philosophy ....
Louis Theroux is the son of Paul Theroux. So that says something right there. Whilst he may not be the most popular person with me he does have a large viewing audience. He does have tendency to seek controversy and conflict. (In my opinion he should have a critical look at the work of George Plimpton to see what can be done.)

Hunting (like fishing) is an issue that is very personal and emotive. Something is going to die. It is poorly handled in 'the media' - it always seem to end up in conflict.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

DrAK DaRippa

#4 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 am

I think if you look at his attitude with distain, you're doing a similar kind of judgement that you accuse of him of.

overall i think his opinion really changed through the program. even with his aggravating method of questioning he was trying to represent a particular personality type that might be watching the show, in order to make it more accessible.

I think it's interesting to consider that two vets on the show also said they didn't hunt at present.

His admission at the end of the program that he'll eat the meat but wont kill the animals was intended to admit his hypocrisy, as that's what the hunter who accompanied him told him after he decided not to shoot.

The scenes where "the blood was highlighted dramatically" was taking place when the yanks all came back to process their game... so perhaps it was them that dramatically highlighted a definition of excessive hunting, and i'm sure that the journalist knew that's what he'd see but that IS a real situation, nothing dramatised.

It is a good side effect; the desire for large african game hunting facilitates the breeding of endangered species.
Which in turn reduces dependancy on animal charity funds. So i think that overall the show reached a positive result after some foot dragging

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 pm

I made it to 8 minutes. To be honest, I don't think that getting driven to some zebra, shooting from the car, then having people track it for you really falls into any definition of 'hunting'. A pity too, because people who don't hunt aren't likely to differentiate between a lazy ballbag like that guy in the video and someone like you or me next time I mention that I hunt.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby