Where in Victoria can I go stumping?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Ganthor

Where in Victoria can I go stumping?

#1 Post by Ganthor » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:46 am

Hopefully this is a good spot for this...

For the life of me, I can't find the a clear answer to this question.
Where in Victoria can I go stumping? (legally).

All of what I read on government web sites is about bow hunting. (Min of 45# and broad heads for game).

Archery Australia / Victoria / ABA has bugger all on the topic all together.

What I don't what to do is make an assumption that because I'm not hunting, it's all good, but then get busted for not having the right tips on the arrows even though there is no evidence I've taken game.

I simply want to take a walk and take the occasional shot at a stump. - Is this even allowed on public land?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Where in Victoria can I go stumping?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:25 am

I can't help you with that one mate but getting a patch of private land would probably be best. In regards the public land you would have to contact the government body that has control of it. Don't just get permission by word of mouth, get it in writing.

Jeff

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I read a post from a guy in the us who went stumping on deer grounds. so he carried broadheads and blunts, as well as the required permits

this may be your solution.

the game license in Victoria allows hunting small feral game so I guess blunts are allowed to be carried. if yes, you can stump in most state forest.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:05 pm

It is my understanding that it is legal to hunt in most parts of state forests in Victoria. There are certain places where you can't hunt and that's generally in special reserves and other areas where large numbers of tourists might visit. You are able to hunt any feral species without written permission, with the exception of deer. Rabbits can be found in state forests and blunts are the most effective points for them. Therefore you can legally use blunts in state forests in Victoria, as Fanto said. In my view, Victoria has very sensible laws in this regard.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Ganthor

#5 Post by Ganthor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your input. I guess I have to look like a hunter to make everything simple for everyone.

The the idea of carrying blunts and having the paperwork as if I'm hunting is a good one, which is probably how I'll go about this.

Thanks again

RobHunter

#6 Post by RobHunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:19 am

Ganthor

I've read a few discussions on various sites. My read on it is that hunting is allowed on MOST state forests, unleased crown land, refer to DSE.
Target practice involving damage to flora can lead to charges - I'm assuming vandalism type offence. I got the impression
any target practice is frowned upon.
Regarding game licencing , not required for pest species, Deer duck and quail it is required. The permission to hunt on
state forests was brought about to meet the requirement for the shooters licence for proof of hunting spots. It is not required
for hunting.
THe impression I got was there is considerable variation on policing of these rules, and that general DSE staff are not that
knowledgeable. When I used to hunt on French Island I found the Park Ranger was the best source of information, as he
is the one that enforces the rules. The Victoria hunting guide is the best starting point, then see if the ranger of a specific place is contactable. Park notes on the Parks vic site are also useful.
The legislation for Firearms seems to cover most of the law that would cover bows. But there is very little info on
specific bow law. Also the gaming regulations http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and- ... tions-2012 mentions archery.
I do know that ignorance of the laws are not accepted as a valid excuse, so if possible get replies to queries in EMail form.
Also, don't rely on answers on forums etc, as many people think they are legal, and in reality just have not been caught.

Rgds

Rob