A few to ground.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

UPTHETOP

A few to ground.

#1 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Well its been a long time coming, but I did finally get to go bush for some R&R and just happened to take the bow with me. It was good to catch up with a good mate the Chuckster and far out west we headed. We travelled many klm and stopped at many stations in the two week brake and I can tell you it was a little disheartening to hear many sad and sorry drought stories from the property owners it is hard to believe that at the beginning of the year they where in flood. Every place we visited had many dead animals on dams and to top it all off an kangaroo population that would rival an ant colony gone mad.
It can be a hard country to master in crop or beast.
Pretty much everywhere no grass or feed left.
Pretty much everywhere no grass or feed left.
DSCF0102.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
We had a great travelling platform a new polaris ranger and believe me on one day we travelled up to 75 klm dam hopping a very suited outfit for covering vast open country. We did walk creeks and hunt on foot on many occasions but to travel in the open air and have quick access to the bows when game was spotted was an added bonus for shore.
The new polaris hunting rig made for some quick traveling.
The new polaris hunting rig made for some quick traveling.
DSCF0053.jpg (154.22 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Did I mention we had to stop at the oldest pub in Australia for lunch, it had an hamburger on the menu which was worth over a 100$ and big enough to feed 10 people but I just couldn't come to giving it a try and opted to spend my money on cold beer instead.
I know some of you have been here but have you tried the big burger at all.
I know some of you have been here but have you tried the big burger at all.
DSCF0063.jpg (109.22 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Alright we spotted a few mob of goats and the next day attempting to get close was a feat in itself, I know some of you would question getting close to goats but have you ever tried it with hardly any cover at all. Doing the praymantus stalk out in the middle of a mob took some practice but we soon come up stumps.
A couple of good racks in this lot.
A couple of good racks in this lot.
DSCF0120.jpg (92.15 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
This fella was on his last legs and pretty crook (the goat not me )I think, as he allowed me into about 10 mtrs before the shot.
This fella was on his last legs and pretty crook (the goat not me )I think, as he allowed me into about 10 mtrs before the shot.
DSCF0080.jpg (144.07 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
We then Spotted a group camped on an fence line way out in the open and the chuckster got in and pulled of a cracker of a shot through a fence line the billy walked two steps and went down. The shot was a pass through as well which shows the importance of a sharp broadhead even at that distance.
46 mtr Billy. Yes some of you wont believe this is the Chuckster with a training wheel bow?
46 mtr Billy. Yes some of you wont believe this is the Chuckster with a training wheel bow?
DSCF0112.jpg (145.42 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Having lunch we spotted this fella coming in for a drink, when he decided to have a sleep next to a big old tree it was to prove his undoing.
Boy it was hot out there in the sun stalking in took me well over 40 min.
Boy it was hot out there in the sun stalking in took me well over 40 min.
DSCF0075.jpg (155.25 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Then just on dark while having a bush shower Chuck spotted this boar chewing on an old dead cow over in the next paddock (eyes like a hawk) got dressed moved into 20 mtrs and let him have it in the boiler room. Guess who had to take out the bottom smelly jaw why someone else finished there shower.
A cracker Boar just on dark.
A cracker Boar just on dark.
DSCF0132.jpg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
A week later we headed back to the same place and some good goats were spotted after they had been spelled.
Some good white billies spotted with a bit of horn.
Some good white billies spotted with a bit of horn.
DSCF0190.jpg (123.48 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
I took this one after much deliberation between who's shot it was and after what seemed like an hour in open country in the know where you can hide stalk into the mob, He ran off with the mob but an easy blood trail to follow and was spotted laying doggo in a pile of wood logs by the chuckster and a quick second arrow used to end his feral life.
The doggo white billy.
The doggo white billy.
Western Hunt November 2013 big billy.jpg (176.58 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
It was a good brake with a good mate, ( Training wheels included. Give him heaps) and I thank my lucky stars to spend quality time with Hard working property owners who desperately need some rain and good fortune to come there way.

It was interesting to note when a few were questioned about how rare the 40 inch Billy has become in our hunting times. I seen two mounted on walls in our travels and one property owner telling us he has spotted one in his goat paddock of a few 10,000 goats. Whether it is the times of selling feral goats as an extra property income the big old billies just don't get the time in the paddock these days or the trophy hunters paying top $ for the chance to take one who knows. All I can wish for is maybe next time I sneak around the smelly mob he will appear before me at about 10 mtrs with a bit of luck.
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Gringa Bows

Re: A few to ground.

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Good story Wayno,glad you guys have been getting out,some good goats there and a decent pig ,I see the goat wisperer hasn't changed,i thought the wheels would have fell off that bow of his by now :mrgreen: ....poor buggers on the land with this dry weather.................that polaris looks the goods.........Thanks for the story mate....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Good to see you out and about. It sure would have been hot and going by the photos it was. :biggrin:

Yeah the country sure is in need of some good rains. The property owners are doing it tough for sure. :sad:

Congrats to you both on your billies and boar. Ol' Spear Chucker usin' a block & tackle; shame shame shame!!! :lol:

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and the story. I'm a bit jealous of the Polaris though. It would have to be ideal for those longer trips between hunting areas in the heat. It did look very hot and dry too.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Slackshot

#5 Post by Slackshot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:08 am

Noice pics there Wayno. Don't you just love getting out in that country and doing what you love the best to do in the spare time.....envious
Slackshot aka Gary Case

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Great story and pics as usual Wayno, thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats on grounding a few nice billies. Was shocked alright to see spearchucker using training wheels, but 46 m… wow :surprised: :biggrin:

Cheers……. Rod

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 am

Gee the country is looking bleak, here's to hoping they get rain, soon. Awesome to see ya's out on the goats, fellas! Poor old Darren, hey? He must be feeling his advancing years and has moved into "assisted" hunting! (only jokin', Chuck!) :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Guy Layton

#8 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Wayno,

Top work mate... Looks like you nailed the best billy in the mob that's for sure... :biggrin:

Good to see Mr Chucker out and about... I miss reading his adventures... :sad:

Are you heading out for a hunt over the Christmas break...?

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

UPTHETOP

#9 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Hey Guy hope all is well. No hunting over xmas have the daughter over from Darwin so its all about family for the next few weeks.
2014 Health pending, will be all about hunting planning a few trips to the cape, a couple of dear hunts in the rutt and hopefully a crack at beating my PB Goat. If there is time a trip to NZ throwen in for good measure.
Life is to short.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

CraigH

#10 Post by CraigH » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Nice game and pics. Yeah, looks dry.

Jeffro

#11 Post by Jeffro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

good stuff Wayno

whitey222

#12 Post by whitey222 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Good write up, enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.
Graham
Predator Classic T/D Recurve 51 & 61# limbs, Redwing Hunter Recurve 56#, Mathews Monster Chill R 70#