Chasing Pigs in the Kimberley

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Slackshot

Chasing Pigs in the Kimberley

#1 Post by Slackshot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi all, back from the wild west and what a trip it was. All the other guys were in the rifle club except me, I took 6 boars with the bow and 1 with a rifle with a total of 83 all up also 1 big cat arrowed at about 15mtrs. Hunting with guys with rifles is difficult and can be hazardess to say the least, I shot with my son and one other all the time the game plan being (let the old guy in first and then blast em).I pulled a couple of very nice shots, one in particular was at about 20 mtrs quartering away and between a fork in a tree resulting in a heart shot. Others weren't so good and resulted in me getting belted sort of. Let me explain....We are right out on a dam an hour away from the camp site. We crept up and I was on a knoll above the dam and below me are 4 nice boars all lined up lying in the mud not 10 yards away, sitting ducks. I missed by a mile so the gun club opened up. I then did a stupid thing, one of the boars was injured and before they could finish him I walked up and was inspecting him, ,oh dear I could see him fixing his gaze upon my body and building up for a charge,,,that's when I did the second stupid thing, i assumed that he could not possibly do that...He did.....in my now urgent state to get far away I tripped on a rock and fell heavily bruising my knee/shoulder/skin off my dial and a cracked rib. Son shots pig and I am saved. The lesson here is you are never to old to do something stupid. Remember that nice dark recurve,,well it broke the top limb on the first day (pics to be put on trad thread) on full draw at a nice boar and that's on video. anyhoo time for some pics ,these next two are taken way out on the fringes of the property I think they are the Saint George ranges
Email 0.JPG
Email 0.JPG (48.62 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Email 2.JPG
Email 2.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 4441 times

And one of the campsite,,,48 degs one day in the shade there and driving around mostly ranged between 41 and 44 degs so we did as little as possible as far as walking went. Mostly drove to close by the dams and then walked in but not too far from the esky at all times
Email.JPG
Email.JPG (115.96 KiB) Viewed 4441 times

This is one of the boars I took, notice the yellow hat that I wore at all times when with the gun club so they knew exactly were I was and those muzzles were pointing elsewhere
DSCF3275.JPG
DSCF3275.JPG (104.36 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Another boar, this one was asleep half in half out of the water facing uphill. I came over the top of the dam and straight down onto him using some shrubs for cover and stepped out at about 10 mtrs off him. This time I used a carbon for the first time ever hunting and the shot went at about 45 deg down behind his right shoulder close in to his spine and driving down through his vitals and he didn't go far
DSCF3285.JPG
DSCF3285.JPG (80.61 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
This guy was on a bore lying in some real green water sleeping like a baby until a toothpick woke him only to send him back to sleep again. Did anyone notice the arrow quiver on the bow ??Its made from thongs. Young Sam from our club made the first prototype and Greg enhanced the idea
DSCF3294.JPG
DSCF3294.JPG (96.78 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
I actually did not take a lot of pics but a lot of video footage this time. The head camera was not too bad but after a 25 minute stalk and footage of me taking a smaller boar then going onto a very nasty boar it stopped working as I took the shot on him in some thick scrub. Mike my son and I followed him in after some minuets and I heard a whoof resulting in me climbing the nearest termite mound very rapidly only to hear the .308 bark and one large sow meeting its maker that was asleep near the track. Well you cant have a hunting story without a sunset can you and those Kimberley sunsets are great
Attachments
Email 3.JPG
Email 3.JPG (31.69 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Slackshot aka Gary Case

gazza

Re: Chasing Pigs in the Kimberley

#2 Post by gazza » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm

hi gary looks like you had a great time, I hunted with some bang stick boys some years back ,I always stayed behind them , I haven't talked with you since the days of the Murwillumbah trad shoots ,gazza.
The older i get the better i was

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Doesn't get any better, you make me jealous! Thanks for sharing, mate.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the great read and photos! It's hard to mix rifle hunting and bowhunting, but it seems you managed quite well.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hazard

#5 Post by hazard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Nephew wrote:Doesn't get any better, you make me jealous! Thanks for sharing, mate.
Well Said!!

You never fail to impress there mate, top effort , scenery and Pickies.

The guy in the chair with the long pants and orange shirt must have been a bit cold though, You didn't look like you had the same problem though.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Great stuff. Don't think I would like to share some country with bang stick boys though, unless I knew them VERY well. :biggrin:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 am

Great story mate,loved the pics.....hows the rib going now.?.....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks for the update Gary. It looks like you had a great time once again and got some good pigs. With those temps I'm sure you enjoyed the water in some of those dams once you had disposed of the pigs that were there first of course. :biggrin: I hope the rib is healing well mate.

Jeff

Len

#9 Post by Len » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Wow great effort! Nice pics too and gee it was hot!
Hmmmmmmm.............

Slackshot

#10 Post by Slackshot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:01 am

The rib is getting better just don't cough,,, No way I would get in that dam water Jeff with those dead or dying cows in them we just came back to camp and went down to the river with the deck chairs and a few xxxx gold and yes it is difficult with the gun club but all safety is taken into account,,,,,, Cant wait till next year now
Slackshot aka Gary Case

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 am

Good story and photos Gary, nice pigs too. Great to see you holding your own amongst the riflemen.

Cheers….. Rod

slinkymalinky

#12 Post by slinkymalinky » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 am

Nice work, Gary!! Looks like no mean feat to stalk in on the pigs in that pretty sparse open country.

Sorry to hear about the bow... Is that the new one you built?? Hopefully see you on Sunday.

Tony
"There is no spoon"

Guy Layton

#13 Post by Guy Layton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice work Gary,

Always good hogs on your hunts...!

Big tough boars are what we want... 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Slackshot

#14 Post by Slackshot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Yes Guy those Kimberley boars are very big and this year not unlike years before they all had decent tusks and also there were not so many pure ginger pigs at all
Slackshot aka Gary Case

UPTHETOP

#15 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Gary some great game to take with the wood, you must look forward to that hunt every year. I know I look forward to the photos you post of it.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.