trail cameras

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

tradarcher

trail cameras

#1 Post by tradarcher » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:32 pm

has anybody on this forum had much to do with trail cameras?.am thinking of purchasing one but I am a complete novice on this subject.my price range would be at the lower end of scale say 150dollars.any help appreciated .thanks .

memo

Re: trail cameras

#2 Post by memo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Hey Tradarcher,
Yeah mate I run a few cams for sambar and think they are a great bit of kit. I don't know how useful they are as far as patterning them, as they leave you asking more questions about deer behaviour than answering them.
I have used Wild Game Innovations cameras, and started with IR4's and got ok pics with them,but they were cheaply made and the battery terminals broke.
Some pics from WGI IR4

I then upgraded to the WGI X6C camera and they are still going strong

X6C pics

I haven't got any new ones lately but have been looking at the Lil' Acorn 5210a cams, and the bushnell trophy. both of these cameras are in your price range.

Look on Fleabay for some models, but make sure that they are not rip offs (especially acorn). The genuine acorn cams should have descriptions telling you the difference between them and the imitations.

Check out Chasing game for detailed reviews on commercial cams http://chasingame.com/index.php?id=2
that should help steer you in the right direction.

I think the best thing about them is the pics you get of animals you don't normally see, and seeing animals doing their thing.
Of course it's a good excuse to go out bush to "check the cameras"

Enjoy,
and be warned - it's addictive.
Memo.

tradarcher

#3 Post by tradarcher » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:17 pm

thanks memo for your comprehensive reply.

Len

#4 Post by Len » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Wow how great are those pics! That stags a cracker! The beauty of trail cams is they give you the time of day and so stop you wasting time setting up ambushes in spots where there are deer but where you may never see them in daylight.
Hmmmmmmm.............