Hunting Broadheads !!

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Spinks

Hunting Broadheads !!

#1 Post by Jack Spinks » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 am

Im curious as to who uses what broadheads these days, on either wood carbon or aluminium shafts, I personally cant go past my ribteks or woodsman broadheads, ribbies are cheap tough and easy to sharpen, I went and bought two hundred of em because I love em so much.. I notice compound shooters keep up with the new heads on the markets but notice trad shooters stick with a broadhead for a long time.. So who uses what ??? and on what shafts ??
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

" Puts anything down hard and fast"

Tommo

Re: Hunting Broadheads !!

#2 Post by Tommo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 am

200 grain Grizzly heads with left wing single bevel mounted on 100gn adaptors. Carbon GT 7595 traditional shafts.
Have some 300 grain VPA 3 blades too but have not put them through anything yet.

Have used in the past
Montecs, Blackstump Ironbarks and bushmasters, Woodsmans, Magnus standard Snuffers and SS Snuffers, Magnus 2 blades, Zwickey no mercys and Outbacks.

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 am

Ribteks... 145 grain or 160 grain - depending on which bow I'm using. Totally agree - easy to sharpen and don't cost an arm and a leg. Plus they get the job done!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:23 pm

i use mick baker's widowmakers and also have some as yet untested outback supreme FEs, all used on golt tip trads.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I've really only ever used the screw in outback broadheads, but I bought some tuskers recently to play with (aztecs and concordes) and even more recently I've been getting into wood arrows so have bought ribteks and glue on tusker javelins to use with them. I also got three 300 grain Tuffheads from the US to play with some high FOC carbon setups (I had some 340 carbons for them but they were underspined so need to get some 300's... come on tax return!). I've only ever taken game with the outbacks though so don't have too much to say about all those others.

In terms of robustness the tuffhead is in a league of it's own and it comes genuinely 'ready to hunt' sharp. In my opinion though, we can all be proud of the Aussie heads, they're all pretty damned good and reasonably priced. From the heads I've played with I'd say the outbacks are better than the tuskers and ribteks in terms of consistency on the factory bevel, however my one complaint about the outbacks is the tendency of the tail of the blade, where it is 'detached' from the ferrule, to bend when it hits something hard. But like I said I haven't shot an animal, let alone hit a bone with the others so we'll see how they go :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 pm

I pretty much only use 190 grain Ribteks. I have been using them since the prototypes back in 1996. They are an excellent head IMO. I only use wood and bamboo arras. :biggrin:

Jeff

CraigH

#7 Post by CraigH » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm

I am using Woody's Outback Supreme single bevel, screw on with carbon. I am thinking about playing around with some wood shafts though for the longbow.

Gene-o

#8 Post by Gene-o » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I have been using the same heads for many years, Ribteck, Tusker, Blackstump and my favourite of all time the Bear Razor. Ive had great kills with all and cant say that one is better than the other. Happy hunting.

Geneo :wink:

Len

#9 Post by Len » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Outback supremes,blackstumps,ribtecks and various multi blade heads.
Hmmmmmmm.............

WOLF

#10 Post by WOLF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm

ribtecks on timber or bamboo :biggrin:
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 am

Same as Jeff and Wolf, mostly 190 grn Ribteks on woods or bamboo
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:24 am

Outbacks for me both screw in and the Traditional. Cant fault them in any way. Steve

Guy Layton

#13 Post by Guy Layton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Jack

I haven't tried the Ribteks as yet... But from all reports are tried and tested without fail...

I'm about to try the Grizzly head like Thommo.. I'll let you know how they go soon... :biggrin:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Fanto

#14 Post by Fanto » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Jack

I've started using tuskers to save a few bucks because I've been losing a few.

They pass through the goats just like the widow makers did
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I've used lots of different brands over the years, mainly American ones, but also most of the Aussie ones too. I have only ever come across a couple that weren't up to scratch, as far as I'm concerned. I won't bother to mention the brands because they're no longer made anyway.

I must admit, I have been guilty of looking down my nose at Ribteks in the past. I thought they were cheap and I didn't like the way their ferrules were made. These days I've done a complete turn around and they're one of my favourites. That's because they're so easy to sharpen and that's an excellent attribute to have, as it same me heaps of time. Some broadheads, although excellent heads in every other respect, just aren't easy to sharpen. Ribteks won't break the bank, yet they do the job they were designed to do. I can lose one or break one on a rock without the usual dummy spit and you've got to love that. I particularly like the 160 grain ones as they match up, weight wise, with my practice field points.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

sina55

#16 Post by sina55 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:49 am

We have been using ribtek's for the past 25 years and have just recently tried tuskers. All mounted on P.O.C. Both get the job done and never once had a goat complain about our set up.

Cheers Jo

Great White

#17 Post by Great White » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 am

Where do you guys buy the Ribteks from?

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Here ya go, mate, and welcome to Ozbow. http://www.tradbits.com.au/index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=1

Great White

#19 Post by Great White » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Nephew wrote:Here ya go, mate, and welcome to Ozbow. http://www.tradbits.com.au/index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=1
Thanks.

They are only glue on tips?

Nephew

#20 Post by Nephew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Yep, gotta add the inserts y'self if you wanna make 'em screw ins.

Great White

#21 Post by Great White » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:30 am

Nephew wrote:Yep, gotta add the inserts y'self if you wanna make 'em screw ins.
Ok thanks.

Something else to learn.

:lol:

Jack Spinks

#22 Post by Jack Spinks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm

I recently shot a solid billy front on through the shoulder blade and into the lungs, was a poor shot but did punch through well with no damage what so ever to the head, have one ribtek at the moment which has taken 8 goats and a cat and put them down within 20.. I also love tuskers and Wensel woodsman heads, another relatively cheaper head is the Zwickey Eskimo they're great to sharpen and hold a serious edge.. Tough as nails
PSA Black Widow 68# - Samick Devastator 60# - Samick Squall 60# - Carbon Express heritage 350s - Ribteks, Woodsmans

clinton miller

#23 Post by clinton miller » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:39 pm

blackstumps are my mainstay. i'm trying the new grizzy 185gr at the moment. my small game broadhead- (foxes, cats, dingo, and hare) are the simmons tree shark. they are 2" wide! good for the small things with small kill zones where lack of penetration isn't an issue.

currently testing some 300gr tuffheads for my new buff setup. they look the goods for serious stuff.

have used in the past- magnus II, bear razor head, 3 blade bodkin, snuffer, woodsman elite, tusker, sharp rocks.......they all work.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Jack Spinks

#24 Post by Jack Spinks » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah your spot on Clint ... They all work and some of us have our favourites we can't go without, I use to make my own as a kid out of old knives, spring steel really anything I could find.. I remember it took me all morning to make this new BH and out of my old 40# compound I shot it and it flew true into a rabbit.. Brilliant shot except rabbit made it down the hole with my new BH.. Shattered

Gringa Bows

#25 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I've used Ribteks 190s about 90% of the time with tusker concords now and then had no probs with any of them :biggrin:

Jack Spinks

#26 Post by Jack Spinks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:52 pm

I onced had a complete pass through on two pigs side by side although the pigs weren't huge but the ribtek blew through them out of my 60# curve with a 100g adapter using 130g ribtek