Great week away, big billy Flatlined!

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

slvrslngr

Great week away, big billy Flatlined!

#1 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Just got back from a week of chasing goats here in the breakaway country of WA with my mate Clinton (Clinglish). We were originally scheduled to fly up north to hunt camels and that trip went pear shaped, so we had to come up with a backup plan. It all came together and we had a fantastic week of stalking, sitting and a fair bit of goofing off. I'm moving back to the States in a couple months, so this was my last big trip and what a way to send me off! I can't thank Clinton enough for securing the properties and providing the car. Being self employed, he works a ton of hours and doesn't have much free time, so to take a week off is no small ask. Cheers mate!

The station we were originally supposed to hunt turned out to not have any huntable goats on it. We drove all over checking dams and bores for sign and couldn't find goats anywhere. The feral dogs are running rampant up there and have cleaned up most the game, so unless the station owners spend a considerable amount of time trapping and shooting, the dogs kill everything then move on. Disappointed, we decided to head over to the neighboring property to let them know we were around and see if they had any insight as to where we could find something to hunt. They invited us in for a cuppa tea and we got to talking about goats. We told them our sob story and they decided to take pity on us, offering to let us hunt their goats! As we couldn't offer up much for work to trade, we opted to just pay for the ones we killed, which was fair enough as this station musters and sells off goats for the meat market and whatever else people want them for. They even offered to let us stay at the the homestead in the shearers quarters, a roof over our head, a wood fired heater, toilets, cooking facilities, way more comfortable than camping and as it would turn out, much drier. The cocky then took us up to a dam to show us where to start hunting and there were goats everywhere, including a couple big billies, Big Black and Big Brown. Big Brown was off limits, as he was brought in to mix up the herd genetics as they wanted more Boer blood in the herd, but Big Black was fair game. After a quick walk around with the bows, we headed back to unload, set up in our quarters and get to sleep as the hunting was to start in ernest in the morning.

Our accomodation.

First day's sunset, hope is in the air!

The next couple days were spent doing some stalking, learning our way around the station, looking for dogs to shoot and trying to pattern the goats. With all the dogs around, the goats were a bit on edge and a bit difficult to stalk.

A roo being chased by a dog, cartridge is a 223.

Monday afternoon, we had one great encounter and could have had an easy 10-12 meter shot, but like dummies, we had left our bows in the car and only had the rifle as were more looking for dogs than goats, DOH! Lesson learned, don't leave the car without a bow!!! The evening hunt found us back at the dam tucked up into the rocks trying to ambush the mob as they came in for a drink. As the goats started coming in, they came in fast and thick, too many eyeballs to fool! We stayed patient and were rewarded when a good eating sized nanny stepped clear at about 12 meters. The shot went true, hitting a touch low and forward of where I was aiming, the resounding "whack" making me think I hit bone. She ran a few meters, wobbled and went down! My first goat of the trip, YES! While we were waiting to go collect her, another mob came in from our left and wouldn't you know it, Big Brown and Big Black were right in the middle. As it was Clintons turn to shoot, he moved out to some rocks to close the distance and waited. Big Black stepped clear and he shot, missing low. The mob then moved off and we trailed them to see about closing the distance again. Big Black started moving up the bluff so I went up after him, we hit the rim at about the same time and I had about a 10 meter shot, but as I started to draw, Clinton shot from down below, missing low again and spooking the mob. We then let them go as it was getting dark and there was another goat to collect. We went and collected my goat, taking some photos, then back to the homestead to dress her out.

Clinton drew on this youngster, but gave him a pass as the mob with the billies was coming in.

My first for the trip, a nice eating sized nanny. Shot went through the heart, killing her in seconds.

Bow used was Toelke Whip, 62" 46#@28", I draw it 30 1/2" so she's about 53# at that DL. Arrow was a full length Gold Tip Traditional 55/75, footed and a 160 grn. STOS broadhead mounted on a 100 grn. steel adapter. Penetration was excellent considering I shattered the front leg at the elbow, clipped a rib, punched through the heart, broke a rib exiting and clipping the offside front leg bone.

slvrslngr

Re: Great week away, big billy Flatlined!

#2 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 pm

That night, the rain came in and it got quite cool. We woke up to a damp, cool morning and got right back out there. As the goats were hanging around the dam at night, we went back there to catch them moving out. A couple gave Clinton a shot, but the shot didn't feel right so he held tight, waiting for a better opportunity. It didn't come, so we backed out and went for a drive.

Raindrops on a gum tree.

Watching them go.

The rest of the tuesday was uneventful, save for the shot opp. we missed out while looking for dogs. That night the rain came back with a vengence, it absolutely bucketed most the night.

Wednesday we woke up early but choose to wait until the rain stopped to go out. To keep from pressuring the goats at the dam, we choose to go looking elsewhere. Didn't get too many chances, but got on a mob, dogging them through the mulga as they fed and I passed on a shot at a nanny. It was super good fun stalking through the brush and trying to get in a position to get a shot, not particularly easy as they walk fast!

A bit damp, eh?!

Early in the afternoon we headed back to the dam and try to figure out a game plan. A few hundred meters south of dam, there was an old tree that had fallen over and looked like we had an ideal spot to build a blind. One habit of the goats we noticed is that they return to the dam on the same trail they left on and the trail was only 10 meters from our blind site. We got stuck into the building, gathering many sticks and mulga branches and after an hour or so of work, we had a blind that could fit 2 hunters with trad bows. A couple shooting windows on each side, room to move, and a nice log to sit on, it was a real piece of art! We were sitting there admiring our handy work, chatting about how it would be our luck that the goats would come back early, when I looked out and sure enough, here they came, about an hour ahead of schedule. They were taking their time, feeding and bedding, slowly coming our way. More and more were coming, getting the first ones up and moving, so it was on like Donkey Kong, the goats were coming right to us!

It's on, the view from the blind.

After an hour of having them all around us, Clint decided to try a shot at a small billy, but he didn't pick a spot and missed shooting over it's back. The goats startled, not knowing what the noise was and they started looking into the blind but not really spooking. They knew something was there but couldn't work out what it was, the blind and camo were working, the wind was holding in our favor, so they just milled around. Just after the shot we looked out and spotted Big Black about 30 meters in front of the blind.

Look close, Big Black on the hoof just outside the blind.

We continued to sit there focusing on Big Black, waiting for the nannies to start streaming past, taking him with them, but they just milled around not wanting to pass. Clint was squatting down alongside the log and his legs started to cramp, so he got up and sat on the log to let the blood start flowing again. The goats saw him moving around, but stayed put. By now the adrenaline was really pumping and we were both shaking pretty badly, it was time to make a move. Clint whispered to me "If you puke in the blind, I'm going to kick your a$$!". I decided to try standing up on the log and see if i could get a shot over the top of the blind, so I slowly drug my feet up onto the log, then very slowly stood up, barely being able to keep my balance with the nerves. As I popped up over the top, Big Black stood up and turned broadside at about 25 meters, it was now or never. I started drawing, bore down on a white patch of hair just above his elbow, hit my anchor, and released. The big white fletch's stood out against his black hair and I watched them disappear nowhere near where I was aiming, high and well back. NOOOO! He ran a few steps, bawled, and unbelievably, went down in about 15 seconds. YESSSSS! Then the shakes really hit me.

He's down!

slvrslngr

#3 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Clint being the funny man he is, then whispers to me, "Mate, he's up!", I say, "What the @#$%, are you kidding?", I spin around looking and he say's "Naw, just messing with you." "You're a w@#$%^r!". He was down for good. Now it was Clint's turn and he made good a few minutes later on a nice eater sized one. We both then wanted to get another one, but decided to hold off as it was getting dark and we had 2 down already. The mob was still hanging around so we just got up and walked out into the paddock to collect our trophies.

Got him! What a goat, I was massively grateful he didn't suffer and I was keen to find out where I hit him to put him down so fast.

One happy hunter!

A great Aussie billy with an Aussie built working piece of art!

My arrow as I found it.

Bow used was my Flatline recurve, 62" 55#@28", with my DL, it's up around 62#'s, he's my first kill with this bow. Arrows are Arrow Dynamics Hammerhead Heavies, full length, with a STOS broadhead at 260 grns. Total arrow weight about 740 grns. Penetration was not an issue!

Clinton's first of the trip, another happy hunter!

His arrow as he found it.

His bow is a Fox (by Ron Fox) reverse handle longbow, one of only a handful made. 60" 55#@28", he draws about 29". Arrows are Arrow Dynamics Hammerhead Trads, full length, 100 grn. brass insert and a 125 grn. Magnus I broadhead. Another clean pass through.

After the obligatory photo session, we loaded them up and headed back to shed to take the skins and make meat. I didn't feel right just knocking the horns off of Big Black, leaving the meat and skin, so he went to the skinning shed as well. We skinned and and dressed both goats, covering them up to hang overnight and cool. Big Black didn't smell to strong, so I'm hoping his meat comes up edible. While dressing him out, I discovered why my less than ideal shot killed him so fast. The shot was indeed high and back, entering just between the last two ribs and just under the spine, severing the artery that runs under the spine and exiting through the paunch. I got supremely lucky and am eternally grateful for that luck, I would have been gutted if I had to chase him down with a gut shot. Clintons shot was a touch back but still got both lungs and his nanny went down with little drama. What a day, two clean kills from a plan made and executed to perfection, even a squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
Last edited by slvrslngr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Great Pickies and great write up mate, Congrats on blooding the flatline!

Hazard
Last edited by hazard on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

splashy

#5 Post by splashy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Awesome - well done...very cool. 8)
who? me?

slvrslngr

#6 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:30 pm

After dealing with the goats from the previous night, we decided to run into town to get some salt as we wanted the skins. So we headed out mid-morning, driving the 100kms in no time. With 3 big bags of salt secured and a few goodies from the shop, we headed back. On the way back we saw a dog cross the road about a km in front of us and he was gone before we had a chance to close the distance, bugger! The rest of the day was spent fleshing out the skins and getting them salted. We didn't even hunt thursday, other than a little spin through the paddocks with the spotlight looking for rabbits and dogs.

Friday we were back out in the morning hunting. We drove out and walked up on a bluff to spot them heading out to feed and we didn't have to wait long. Seeing where they were headed, we circled out in front to cut them off and set up. They came in and I took a shot at a eater sized one, missing horribly, grrrr, pick a spot man! Clint then got a shot at one and missed as well, same issue. After a bit of a chuckle and a couple dope slaps, we drove in the direction they were going to try and cut them off again. We parked and walked into the mulga to catch up again. After 20 minutes or so of walking, we found them and started stalking in. It was another case of barely keeping up as they fed through the brush, so it took a while to get a shot. Clinton was off to my left about 50 meters when I hear the tell tale "thunk-whack" of a shot and hit. An eater size goat comes running into my shooting lane, I figured it was the one Clint just shot, so I figured if one hole is good, two is better so I took a shot, missing AGAIN! The goat ran off in the direction of the mob and we met up to compare notes. We quickly found a pool of blood where the goat was standing when I shot at it, so it was looking good that another was in the bag. We stayed at that spot for about 15 minutes then started blood trailing. After only going 20 meters or so, we looked ahead and could see the goat down another 50 meters ahead of us. Whoo hoo, Clints second!

Good blood.

Good recovery!

Nothing better than a bloody arrow.

The bow used was a Fox (by Ron King) Royal Crown, on it's first hunt! It is 62" 51#@28", Osage and Cocobolo. Arrows are Arrow Dynamics Hammerhead Trads, full length, with 100 grn brass inserts and a 215 grn. Widow Maker broadhead. Shot was a textbook double lunger, tight behind the shoulder centering both lungs, perfect!

Clint packed out his goat, I carried to bows and we headed back to get this one sorted. On the way back we ran into more goats out feeding and I hopped out to go for a stalk while Clint dressed his kill. I spent the next few hours stalking in, getting busted, stalking back in, getting busted, and so on. I did get a couple shot opps. at nannies but choose not to take them. It was time to get back and start breaking down all the goats into meat for the trip home, so Clint came out and picked me up. We spent the rest of the day cutting meat and dealing with the skins.

Not the first hunters to pass this way.

The Toelke at full draw, no game was harmed in the making of this photo.

Waiting in the bushes.

That night we started packing and squared up with the station owner for the 4 goats we killed. Saturday we got up and finished packing the car then got on the road for the drive home.

It was an amazing trip that started with disappointment and turned into the best trip ever! When I got home, I put a tape on my billy, he is 34 1/2" tip to tip, a real cracker for sure. The week went by way too fast, good hunting with a good mate, it doesn't get any better. Get out amongst it, you can't hunt from your lounge!

Cheers,
Chris

bstan86

#7 Post by bstan86 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 pm

gday mate!

I've really enjoyed going through your write-up - thanks very much for taking the time and putting all the pics up - fantastic stuff!

we seem to share similar taste in bows and also arrow-setup.
i have a couple of toelke whips which are second to none IMO - brilliantly made and great shooters.
those foxes look great too.

i also love the heavy carbons with heaps of FOC -works bloody well for hunting.

once again - thanks for taking the time to put all this up - my favourite type of thread is a detailed hunt report with plenty of good photos.

slvrslngr

#8 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Happy to share and thanks for the kind words fellas!

clinglish

#9 Post by clinglish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 pm

This trip was awesome, it had been a long time since I had had the chance to get out for a hunt and everything just fell into place. The hunting was great and so was the company making it a trip to remember. Thanks to Chris for his great company not to mention him reminding me to "PICK A SPOT".
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Chris

#10 Post by Chris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Im very glad you 2 had a nice trip.

Im guessing that there was some hand holding and night time cuddles that didnt make the story.
Its good to see Clint can hit something with a hart beat, Chris, you where never in doubt to drop what you where aiming at.

Still bummed that I missed the trip.
I don't support the wars of our politicians, but I do support our troops.

Lest we forget
.Image

splashy

#11 Post by splashy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

Awesome! Well done. Great pics and words. Thanks for sharing...
who? me?

rodlonq

#12 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Great story and pics Chris, thanks for posting it. Congrats on the big billy and a good haul of meat as well.

Cheers..... Rod

Benny Nganabbarru

#13 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Too deadly, mate!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 am

Congrats to the both of you on the game taken. It seems you both had a great time and that is what it is all about. Thanks very much Chris for taking the time to do such a great write up and for the excellent photos.

Jeff

clinton miller

#15 Post by clinton miller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

great work guys.
looks like a great trip was had by both of you.
that's quite an arsenal you guys have. shoot a goat, change bows....
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

slvrslngr

#16 Post by slvrslngr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks again guys!

These pics didn't even show the whole arsenal, it was almost comical how many bows and arrows went along! That said, all the bows pictured needed to be blooded, which we succeeded in doing, which was pretty cool.

clinglish

#17 Post by clinglish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm

clinton miller wrote: that's quite an arsenal you guys have. shoot a goat, change bows....
Mate I am sure that alot of us suffer from too much choice on the rack .
I took up a third of my bows but I felt guilty about leaving some at home coz all my Ladies like to hunt !
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Flatliner

#18 Post by Flatliner » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Great work Chris, thats the way to blood a bow mate. Excellent goat.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au