First harvest with the new Super Grizzly

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

splashy

First harvest with the new Super Grizzly

#1 Post by splashy » Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 pm

8)
Hi All
Just thought I would share my first experience hunting with the Super Grizzly. I have only had it for about two weeks, but spent a bit of time getting the brace-height right, some basic arrow tuning and shooting to ensure accuracy and confidence. As I have said elsewhere, I am thrilled with the performance of this bow, and my accuracy and confidence reflected that.
Now to the hunting - we spent some time on a property at Guyra which has feral goats and pigs, as well as a few deer.
We arrived Thursday lunchtime and after greeting the property owners and unpacking decided to go for a quick afternoon walk along the creek. Pretty soon we were on to some goats. It was my mate's turn for a stalk, so I sat back and watched as he crept to within range of a goat, and promptly had him on the ground.
Then it was my turn. We walked further along the creek and saw another mob of goats further downstream just on dark, but decided not to push them this late and head back to the road before we lost all of the light.
I was scanning the nearby paddocks right on dusk in between the sun going down and last light when I saw three pigs about 800m off in the paddock. I was over the electric fence - and not noticing it was on - and starting to swing around downwind before you could say: "Look - pigs!"
With the light fading fast I pushed in quick, steady and low, and ended up about 14m from a good sow and a couple of piglets. Crouching behind a fallen tree I decided to edge sidewards as she was very side-on and I wanted to open up the angle more to a rear-quartering shot. I starting my shooting routine, and let instinct take over - and the next thing I consciously remember is watching the arrow disappear into the spot I was aiming for.
All hell breaks loose - and the sow piles up about 15m from where she was hit. The piglets stood around looking dumbfounded - and I am pretty sure I had the same look on my face.
I crept over with an arrow ready - just in case - but she didn't need it. And as the sun set on a beautiful Australian outback winter's evening I acted like a goose and jumped up and down in a circle with the bow over my head. You see, not only was it the first harvest with my new recurve, but it was also my first pig using any archery tackle! :mrgreen:
I had a quick look at her as the last of the light went and was truly amazed at what a #50 recurve with a good two-blade broadhead can do! I know I shouldn't be - this kind of kit has harvested many animals around the world over time - but it punched right through, creating a massive slice through the off-side lung that had her down in moments!
That was just the start of the trip. We got close to deer - but no shot - and also grounded a number of goats with recurve and compound.
To finish the trip I watched my mate do a 300m crawl through long grass to get within 15m of a mob of goats and drop one with a single arrow - representing his first kill with a recurve. Super cool to share moments like that.
Needless to say - an awesome weekend. I am very pleased with the bow and how it performs, and looking forward to spending more time with it on the range and in the bush.
The pics are on my mate's camera. He guessed the pig to be about 50kg. I will post them up when he sends them to me.
Cheers :biggrin:
who? me?

bigbob

Re: First harvest with the new Super Grizzly

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Well done and looking forward to the photos!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

A big CONGRATS!!! I'm sure it will be something you will remember for a very long time. It sounds like it was a great trip. I look forward to the photos also.

Jeff

RobHunter

#4 Post by RobHunter » Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Great read

No photo of you and the electric fence?

My nephew got zapped on the head, and thought it was great, he did it again lol.

Rgds

Rob

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Congrats Splashy! Cheers Steve

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Congrats mate :biggrin:

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Reminded me of a property up north I used to hunt where the owner decided to grow a patch of watermelons to supplement his income. Due to the voracious nature of the neighborhood pig population he had to put up a electrified fence to keep the little s@#$ts out. Didnt't work. I was out there one day hunting early morning, and heard all these squeals. Crept up and had a look. ---all these pigs were coming up to the fence and starting to squeal before they got there , but still barged through into the paddock!! Not many water melons were harvested!
razorbows.com

splashy

#8 Post by splashy » Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks guys! And yep, it will certainly be one that I remember.
....as for pics of the electric fence, maybe we can start an electric fence climbing photo competition and see who sends in the funniest pic?
...still waiting on the pics, but will post when they come....
who? me?

flyne

#9 Post by flyne » Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 am

Congrats mate well done
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

Well done Splashy, thanks for the story.

Cheers...... Rod

splashy

#11 Post by splashy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Ok - finally got the pics off my mate. Here's the piggy... I notice that I seem to be pleased.... :mrgreen: 8)
Attachments
First harvest with the new recurve. First pig.
First harvest with the new recurve. First pig.
piggy.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
who? me?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

That grin says it all. Congrats once again!

Jeff

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:57 pm

that last photo had me thinking I was passing a cemetary but it was just the glow of the pearlies!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
razorbows.com