Calf Killer killed by Curve

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

andy80

Calf Killer killed by Curve

#1 Post by andy80 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 pm

I was lucky enough to spend a few days with my Brother and my Dad hunting and fishing around Collinsville. My Dad who is not a fisherman and has never caught a legal Barra nailed a 78 and an 83 Barra :biggrin: . His first time using a baitcaster too. :shock:
78cm Barra
78cm Barra
Towner Boys Hunt 118.JPG (71.99 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
83cm Barra
83cm Barra
Towner Boys Hunt 121#2.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
We walked a lot of Km and saw plenty of sign where the hogs had been but didn't lay eyes on a single pig. My brother had taken a good boar and 2 other pigs in the same spot a week or 2 ago and as we were poking along we could smell the dead pigs. We slowed up and the wind was good but spooked 2 wild dogs/ dingo's who must have been eating the dead pigs for the last day or so. I could just see them through the bush but luckily they were pre-occupied with looking at my Dad. They came round in a bit of a loop and the bitch looked back to see what the male dog was doing at about 10 yards. The Raven came to full draw and smashed a Ribtek through the front of her shoulder coming out in front of her back leg. I knew she was in big trouble after the shot and found her piled up about 30 yards away. I was over the moon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have been practicing hard with the recurve and it was so satisfying watching my white feathers disappear right where i was looking. Was a great time spent with Dad and my little brother in the Bush hunting and fishing.
Towner Boys Hunt 105#2.jpg
Towner Boys Hunt 105#2.jpg (182.34 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

bigbob

Re: Calf Killer killed by Curve

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Great effort all around.Great barra and well done on the dog, not an easy animal to nail.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Congrats on the dingo Andy. A couple of nice Barra as well.

Jeff

Macca

#4 Post by Macca » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Good stuff Andy, congrats on the dog :biggrin: . The bow looks the goods mate, always interested in what others are hunting with, what are the specs on your curve and arrows?

Cheers Macca.

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm

perfect shot dude! well done
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

andy80

#6 Post by andy80 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Macca wrote:Good stuff Andy, congrats on the dog :biggrin: . The bow looks the goods mate, always interested in what others are hunting with, what are the specs on your curve and arrows?

Cheers Macca.
Thanks Macca, I was super happy. :biggrin: Bow is a Raven Vanquish T/D recurve 59# at 27" custom made for me by Dave Keable in Bauple. Arrows are Gold Tip 5575 Expedition Hunter carbons with a 100gn brass insert, 125gn steel broadhead adapter and 135gn Ribtek with a chisel point. 3x 5" feathers. All up arrow weight is about 615gn. Cant remember FOC. They zipped through that dog without even slowing down.I also have Blackstumps but find the ribtek's fly a little better. I want to try the setup on a good boar to see if it will penetrate heavy shoulder pad.

Andy

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 am

Well done Andy and Dad, a memorable trip for sure. Cheers Steve

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm

sweet arrow setup andy. that should go well on pigs and scrubbers. it's very similar to my old setup.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Well done Andy. It sure is great sharing time out bush with family. Your Dad looks stoked with his fish mate, good job.

Cheers....... Rod