Has anyone tried these Broadheads

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

TEX

Has anyone tried these Broadheads

#1 Post by TEX » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello all
Has anyone tried after shock beast 3 blade Broad heads. They are the blue black and silver ones on ebay and if so what is your opinion.
I would be using them on foxes, rabbits, goats and pigs and if I was lucky enough to get close, deer
Thanks Mark

Fanto

Re: Has anyone tried these Broadheads

#2 Post by Fanto » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Tex,

in short, no. Can I ask what draws you to these?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:47 am

If they are the ones I'm, thinking then they are absolute crap, Blades are as thin as razor blades, won't sharpen properly and very flimsy. Might just pass for feral cats and foxes but the sharpness factor would let them down. Hopefully the ones you are talking about are different ones.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

TEX

#4 Post by TEX » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:34 pm

I was interested in them for two reasons
1- the blue would match my fletching and wraps
2- the price is very cheap
I would say that they are the ones that are dodgy

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:16 pm

TEX

if you want 3 blade have a look at tusker's triad or perhpas VPA's 3 blade.

I find it tedious enough sharpening 2 blade heads so i stick with them. if you dont know how to get a blade to hair shaving sharp, then that is a good skill to learn.

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Tex
I have never really liked anything in broadheads with 3 or 4 blades, 2 are still the most reliable for me. I believe 3 and 4 blade broadheads aren't as effective.

I know people have done tests and have results to go along with this but trying it out for yourself is the best and most reliable conclusion you can come to.

they should be able to deliver a quick and ethical kill IMO If you reckon they are cheap and nasty, its time to try something else. :wink:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Re your comments Hazard, Dr. Ed Ashby has done extensive tests and I believe the outcome was, put simply that 2 bladed heads particularly those with tanto tips had the best penetration and complete pass throughs of any tested.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm

They look rubbish to me Tex. Stick with a good cut on impact single blade broadhead IMO.

Jeff

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

3 blade heads don't go through bone that well.

they would be ok on small game but if you miss and hit the ground or a rock or stump I reckon they will explode.

paying $5-6 bucks for decent 2 blades would be better value and also more effective on medium size game.

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 am

TEX wrote:I was interested in them for two reasons
1- the blue would match my fletching and wraps
2- the price is very cheap

How about one out of two?

http://www.werewolfbroadheads.com/

Their 175 grain heads are a blue that may match your shafts. They're not cheap though.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

Jim those warewolves are interesting, seem to be made of good steel (440) and can be had in single bevel upto 300gr. that style of broadheads (similar to mick baker's widowmakers) fly well and are easy to tune

they are much dearer than Outbacks and widowmakers

Macca

#12 Post by Macca » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Howdy Tex , as the boys have mentioned two blade .BH out perform 3 bladed heads. As far as them being blue well not sure on that one, I prefer red ones which mean they are covered in blood :biggrin: I am running ribbies and outback FEs for my trad stuff.

Try and pick a few ribbies up if you can , good price and work very well then give them a red coating. :lol:

Cheers Macca

wishsong

#13 Post by wishsong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

Ribteks are still are great broadhead , easy to sharpen and penetrate well . I have used them for years and will continue to for years to come ... until my supply runs out .

I have had good success with 3 blade b'heads as well . The Woodsman , 160gn Snuffer and VPA's do a great job and are tough as nails ...

I'd stay away from the cheap stuff ... coz it'll end up being more expensive in the long run ..... and they just do not perform well in my experience .....

TEX

#14 Post by TEX » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I usually use buzz cuts, lethal Broadheads
Spirits are good as well

Jim

#15 Post by Jim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Fanto wrote:they are much dearer than Outbacks and widowmakers
I've never bought or used them Fanto, I just saw an ad for them in a US mag and when TEX mentioned he liked the blue ferrule it made me think of those. I've only ever used the Outbacks which I like quite a lot :wink:

Jim.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Fanto

#16 Post by Fanto » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:46 pm

the Outback FEs are tough as nails

i use the widowmakers on lighter arrows for goats, rabbits and foxes because they are accurate (fly well), easy to sharpen, effective and cheap ($6)

yeoman

#17 Post by yeoman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Bigbob,

when you say tanto tip, do you mean a point that has a chisel edge like the ribteks have when you get the out of the packet, or something else?
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

jesse1987

#18 Post by jesse1987 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:57 am

mate iv used them once not by choice but because some idiot left his broad head case sitting on the lounge when he left to go hunting so had to borrow a few of another guy , any way long story short shot a fox with one and dropped him well awesome blood trail but after checking the head it was destroyed after only passing thru one fox front on and landing in a sandy creek bed..later that day I passed up a goat because I just didn't trust the head to perform...as the other guys have said stick with good quality 2 blade heads ...iv shot everything from bunnys to buff and never had a 2 blade let me down..

longbowinfected

#19 Post by longbowinfected » Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 am

Couldn't you use a gun bluing kit to colour your chosen two blade broadhead.
I did not realise you were such a fashionista Tex.
After living in the mountains you have gone from the flanno to lame.
Mind you Mountain Archers uniform is dark blue. Never thought about blue heads. You must have too much free time right now.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.