Vital Statistics

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn Newell

Vital Statistics

#1 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:42 am

Just so I don't hijack the post about Pats camel, but looking at Pats camel which is a big animal and the bow poundage he used to take it with and thinking what a terrific effort it was. Who would believe and a lot of bowhunters included, that you could kill a large animal like that with a 47# bow. I am asking everybody for their input here about starting an information data base about game taken with the bow. To find out what the equipment comprised of to take the animal, such arrow weight, broadhead used, how was the broadhed sharpened, file or stone, string material, was the bow a bought one and if so what make if they want to tell you only to find out if it was an imported bow or locally made bow, or if the bow was self made what materials did they use, glass, timber core and was the timber core Australian timber or imported timber or was it a selfbow?
There are tons of things we could ask and have on our files as ammo for us. I know the ABA and Trophy Takers have similar records but I don't know if they still do it or not or how detailed they are.
If everybody has imput not matter how small or large and make up a detailed questionare that could be filled out on the website. Erron could this be done or do we want to do it? I don't know, what does everybody think?...Glenn...

erron

#2 Post by erron » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:45 pm

Yes, Glenn, I think it could be done. I'm not sure which way to go about it though. Let me back to you on it.

Erron

vegie

#3 Post by vegie » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:03 pm

I agree with Glenn, it would be really interesting to know a few more details about the equipment used on Pats hunt and used by others. Up until I saw these photos I would have been sceptical you could harvest a camel with what seems a light bow. I have a half organised trip for next year where I might get a chance at a camel, and I was thinking a 58 pound bow might not be enough.
A few details would certainly be handy as well as useful to see what stuff really works.
Well done Pat, I have been told camel is actually quite tasty.
Daryl

pat

My Camel

#4 Post by pat » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:47 pm

The Bow was Reflex Deflex 64" 47 LB @ 27 1/2" Siver ash and Glass Longbow Made by Frank Sterle of Beaver Bows. The string was a 15 strand Dacron b50 Flemish made by me. The arrows were 27 1/2"Port orford Cedar tipped with Aztec Broadheads.
It was the only bow I had as I had broken my 55lb Recurve. Now i have a Laminated Bamboo Torges style bow of 65lbs. I am going to try out when I get a chance.
Shot placement is everything.
If you can get in close enough, the Kill zone is huge on a camel.

Pat Forrest

Jackrat

#5 Post by Jackrat » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:32 am

I agree with Glen,It would be nice to see what people use.I use a 45lb bow for all my shooting now days.I have had my doubts about such a low
poundage but this year I took a Red hind from fifteen meters and the arrow went to the fletches thru,the short ribs and came out in front of the off side fore leg.I am going back up a bit to 50lb, but a well placed heavy
and sharp arrow is an amazing thing.
Hope this won,t be to much more work for you Erron.
Cheers all,,Jack.

As we say where I live.(Man that Camel) Choise Aye Bro, :shock: :D

erron

#6 Post by erron » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:25 am

I'm flat chat at the moment, so it won't happen quickly, but I will get onto it. :)

Erron