Bow fishing Carp Illegal???

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

lanky

Bow fishing Carp Illegal???

#1 Post by lanky » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 am

Is it really Illegal to bowfish Carp in NSW???, someone brought it up at the clubhouse yesterday and i thought i would put it out there?
Wherever you go......there you are!

longbow steve

Re: Bow fishing Carp Illegal???

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am

Yes, bow fishing comes under spear fishing laws so it is illegal. I recall the government was being lobbyed to overturn bow fishing for carp but I have not heard any more about it. Cheers Steve

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Illegal !!! :wink:

Next time I get down to the Northern New England I am going to try fishing for them using Corn Kernals as a Bait and a Lure made to resemble a Corn Kernal. I am always keen to eat what ever I Hunt / Fish and I think Carp have an undeserved reputation as poor Table Fair.

Filleted, Skinned, all Dark Meat and Bones removed, soaked in Milk with a splash of Vinegar for a couple of Hours, dryed rolled in Flour and Fried it is good eating. No muddier than any other fresh water fish. Carp are widely Eaten in Europe and through out Asia yet us Aussies turn our noses up at them.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 pm

perry wrote:Illegal !!! :wink:

Next time I get down to the Northern New England I am going to try fishing for them using Corn Kernals as a Bait and a Lure made to resemble a Corn Kernal. I am always keen to eat what ever I Hunt / Fish and I think Carp have an undeserved reputation as poor Table Fair.

Filleted, Skinned, all Dark Meat and Bones removed, soaked in Milk with a splash of Vinegar for a couple of Hours, dryed rolled in Flour and Fried it is good eating. No muddier than any other fresh water fish. Carp are widely Eaten in Europe and through out Asia yet us Aussies turn our noses up at them.

regards Jacko
Here Here!!! Well said and I have tried them and I agree!

But as for bow fishing for carp unfortunately I have only heard the same as Steve :roll:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Check with which ever government dept you have to. I thought you could shoot them in private dams???

Jeff

TEX

#6 Post by TEX » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 am

It's a joke.
I rang the fisheries a few years ago and was told it is not allowed any were except at the the end of some beaches. Same rules as spear fishing.

I couldnt get any sense out of the guy when it comes to changing the rules.

Carp are a pest, they are introduced to our rivers and dams and if we cach them by law we are not suppose to put them back and we have to move them away from the waters edge.

I was trying to explain to him that if they made it leagel to shoot them then maybe we could reduce the numbers in our rivers, even if it was only a seasonal.

You can't change the legislation was his answer to every thing.

I know so many people who would love to get into bow fishing, it would be great fun and it would help the environment.

jamie

#7 Post by jamie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm

the only way to change the legislation is to put in submissions when the fishing laws are up for review which i think is not for a couple of years
whack'em,stack'em,chill'em and grill'em