Tracking Goats and Goat sign

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Tracking Goats and Goat sign

#1 Post by Fanto » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Gday,

heres a question for the hunters,

How does one distinguish between kangaroo scats and goat scats? all the scats in the hills Ive been walking are individual pill shaped nuggets and there are no sheep-style clumps.

Apparently kangaroo poo is black outside and yellowish inside. what about goat?

Anyone?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbow steve

Re: Tracking Goats and Goat sign

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Fanto, Goat droppings are very different than roo. They resemble small chocolate bullets. Fresh sign will be moist and shiny and generally in piles if in a bedding area. You will also smell them quite strongly. Steve

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm

thanks steve

so the main difference is roo- uneven shapes and rough surface, goat - shiny bullets, smaller than roo?

right?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Macca

#4 Post by Macca » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Fanto picture Malteasers laying all over the ground. A good area with goats you will smell them and you will see where they have been bedding. Pending weather conditions they will usually bed up when the weather starts to warm up. If there are goats in your area you will see tracks on the game trails. Look at holes in the fence where they may cross, there may be signs of goat hair on the wire. Get up high and glass and listen you will hear them from some distance away. I try and stay high and drop down if I can, this gives you more options if they are on the move.

Good luck, cheers Macca.

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm

thanks Macca

ive found goats a few times at this spot, but i havent been there over the last few months, its a feeding area without much water and ive noticed they dont venture when its stinking hot.

i know they visit but i couldnt make sense of the sign. ive got a better idea now. ill take photos and post some to be sure

cheers

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi Fanto
The couple of ways I found to find goats is to look around areas that provide good cover and shelter from
the elements such as rocky out crops.They will generally come back these spots to bed down for the night
and once you find the bedding spots,you can be there waiting before dusk.
The other way is to get into an area with the wind into your face and sit dead still and just listen as feeding
mobs of goats keep in contact by bleating gentle to each other.
Matt

RobHunter

#7 Post by RobHunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Fanto

Goats scat has a much stronger taste than Kangaroos

Rgd

Rob

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by kerry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm

pm me your address Fanto i'll put some in the mail for you :wink:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 pm

ha ha ha

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Fanto, in my experience goat scats are not as large and sort of "brick" shaped as kangaroo scats, more like the malteaser description given before. You could follow the taste test idea that robhunter suggested but I find it interferes with yer taste buds when yer having a beer at the end of the day :biggrin:

Cheers....... Rod

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 am

rodlonq

I found a mob of goats at this spot a couple of times. just the smell of them put me
off my lunch