Pat Forrest's Camel Hunt

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Pat Forrest's Camel Hunt

#1 Post by erron » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:53 pm

Have a look at these photos Pat Forrest sent in, of his camel hunt.

Pat says: "Here are the pics of a Bull Camel I shot with a 47 lb Longbow before Christmas".

Feel free to give us more details Pat :!: :)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:01 pm

Photo number 3 is a real Pat expression I must say! :lol:

It sure would be difficult stalkin in that country alright. Ambush would be about the only way I'd reckon and then you would have to hope that they picked your part of the desert to walk in. :D Jeff

Glenn Newell

#3 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:23 pm

That's a terrific effort Pat, that's a lot of animal with a 47# bow. Half your luck, I would love to hunt camels one day...Glenn...

Papabear

#4 Post by Papabear » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:46 pm

Just how close can you git to those humpers in that kind of territory and do you really eat camel meat? Camels are not native to Oz as I recall. How many, approximately, are in yer country to be hunted?
Beware the Bear!!!

Jackrat

#5 Post by Jackrat » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:45 am

Wow,Thats some mean looking country.I feel lost just looking at the photos.Must have taken some time to cut up that good old boy.Top effort
fer,sure.You did say 47lb yes,There is hope for me yet.Well done.
Cheers,,Jack. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

erron

#6 Post by erron » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:18 am

Papabear,

as with a lot of the feral animals in OZ, it's considered that there are too many camels :!:

and yes, you can eat camel meat. Haven't myself, but there is a shoot coming up on the NSW / Victoria border which will apparently be serving camel, amongst other things, to hungry shooters at the end of the day. Does anyone have more info on this shoot?

As to how close you can get, have to ask others here who've hunted camels.

cheers,

Erron

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:07 am

And people question the effectiveness of the killing power of the bow and arrow, which is more to the point. It looks as though there's gallons of blood on the ground. Top effort Pat and I'm sure Pat made the bow himself....Glenn....

pat

Camels

#8 Post by pat » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:31 pm

:D Yes you do have to ambush the Camels. It is a Huge area of Land I look after: thousands of square miles. There are Hundreds of them out here, but they are very hard to get in on with a Bow.

The shot I took was from about 15 metres, Copy Book, right behind the shoulder. The arrow penetrated about 10 inches into the lungs.

The arrows were 27 1/2 Port Orford Cedar With Aztec broadheads on them.

The most amazing thing about lining up a shot at a Camel is the sheer size of the thing. I really had to concentrate just to pick a spot.

If anyone is interested in hunting out here, just give me a yell. It is Aboriginal land and you need a permit, but that could be aranged.

Camel is one of the leanest meats you can get, and if cooked right it is wonderful. I have a freezer full of the stuff.

Pat

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:02 pm

Pat,

I was thinking that sure is a big broadhead to be using with rather light equipment. I would think that penetration would be better with a narrower broadhead with your 47# bow. However it certainly got the job done. Congrats once again Ol' Mate.

Maybe one day Jude and I might just pay you a visit out there. It is very interesting country. Jeff

Tuffcity

#10 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:55 pm

Nice work! Man, I break out in to a sweat just looking at that country. How much does a camel that big weigh?

RC

pat

camel

#11 Post by pat » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:54 pm

A camel that big is about a 3 year old Bull and would weigh in at about a Ton or more. He would stand about 6 1/2 Feet at the shoulder and then you have the hump on top of that.

Pat Forrest

erron

#12 Post by erron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:00 pm

Wow, not quite the same as chasing rabbits, hey?

:lol:

Erron

trash one

#13 Post by trash one » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:23 am

Hay Jeff, you should get Jude to give her view on lumpy stew, she had a big feed of camel at the last TRASH shoot.
Catch ya
BUTCH

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:53 pm

Yeah Butcho :lol:

I'll have to let her know. She is in Brisbane at present and won't be home till later in the week. I only got back this arvo. Jeff