No 2

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

No 2

#1 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Guys, I spent friday and saturday in a local State forest to see what the deer situation was for the upcoming rut. Friday was opening day for Deer season so it makes it that little bit better to get out there and scout when you can actually take a shot. Well no Deer were to be seen but there was plenty of sign about so all was not lost.
I spent the night in my Hennessey Hammock at about 10 degrees and was just warm enough so I will keep it for summer only camping. I must say the sleep is comfortable enough however.
I did a few walks with little game seen (1 Rabbit) so headed to a thick blackberry ridden paddock to try my hand at getting a fox in. I knelt down in front of a large clump of blackberries and sounded the hand made tin whistle and out popped a fox. The fox looked straight at me and went back into the Blackberries so I thought I was sprung. I brought my hand up to my face and squeeked with my lips and this proved irresistable to the fox who darted out and stood 20 meters from me and looking 10 meters to my left to where he heard the sound come from. Holding my hand up must have deflected the sound to make him think the noise was elsewhere. The fox started to walk forward as I came to full draw and I released hitting him a bit far back but after biting the arrow in half he went down on the spot and expired quickly.
100_4932.JPG
100_4932.JPG (86.81 KiB) Viewed 6544 times

bigbob

Re: No 2

#2 Post by bigbob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Great stuff Steve! I still have to get my first trad fox1!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Excellent mate!!! You and that self bow seem to be a great combo. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks Bob, do you have many up your way?
Thanks Jeff, I am very happy with the Osage bow, it is a joy to carry and great to shoot. I will have a fox quiver in the near future to go with it :smile: . Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 pm

longbow steve wrote:I will have a fox quiver in the near future to go with it :smile: . Steve
Sounds interesting. I will look forward to some photos. :biggrin:

Jeff

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Osage selfbow fox! Does it get any better? Wicked Steve, well done! :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Onya Steve
Congrats on the fox!

Will you be doing a build along with that quiver?

Hazard
Last edited by hazard on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Jim

#8 Post by Jim » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Well done mate!
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

flyne

#9 Post by flyne » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Congrats on number 2 Steve and with a self bow to boot :mrgreen:
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Was plenty about here but not owning a ute anymore I find it hard to get out there. Missus has a car but she has to work so that's out. Besides all the ones around here would have drowned or been washed down your way!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 am

Well done Steve 8) .

Cheers..... Rod

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks Gents. Yeah with all that rain there must be a concentration of game somewhere or as you say they might have perished. Cheers Steve

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:44 am

Congrats Steve :biggrin:

Guy Layton

#14 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Great work Steve... :biggrin:

It looks like you have that bow dialled in mate....

Do you always have you selfbow unstrung while searching for game...? Or just by coincidence for the photo...?

I don't want to put you under pressure mate, but I think you will deck a deer with the Osage bow this year... :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Macca

#15 Post by Macca » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Good work Steve, I would like to see the bow strung.

What poundage is the bow?

Cheers.

discord

#16 Post by discord » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm

HAIL ERIS!

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Congrats Steve :biggrin:
Thanks Rod
Guy Layton wrote:Great work Steve... :biggrin:

It looks like you have that bow dialled in mate....

Do you always have you selfbow unstrung while searching for game...? Or just by coincidence for the photo...?

I don't want to put you under pressure mate, but I think you will deck a deer with the Osage bow this year... :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
Thanks Guy, I had carried the fox back to the car tied up with my string and suspended from the bow. I hunt with it strung, it doesn't seem to follow the string at all.
I reckon if I don't hunt with the selfbow a deer and I will cross paths at 5 meters and I will be kicking myself while munching on laminate bow venison jerky :mrgreen: .
The fox skin is booked in with Kev for tanning. Cheers Steve

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks Discord :smile: . Steve

discord

#19 Post by discord » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm

No worries, mate.
I've been kinda stalking this bow on here, it's a beautiful thing :biggrin:
Long term goal for me now to take an animal with a selfbow made by me. Long way off, though :smile:
HAIL ERIS!

longbow steve

#20 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm

discord wrote:No worries, mate.
I've been kinda stalking this bow on here, it's a beautiful thing :biggrin:
Long term goal for me now to take an animal with a selfbow made by me. Long way off, though :smile:
:lol: Stalk away, It is a good journey to undertake and for me it has been one of the more rewarding things I have done. Cheers Steve

Macca

#21 Post by Macca » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Very nice Steve :biggrin:

longbow steve

#22 Post by longbow steve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks Macca.

TEX

#23 Post by TEX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Steve you should make a fox hat.
Like the old ad on tv "where the fox hat"
The ads still on YouTube"

TEX

#24 Post by TEX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 pm

The ad is for millers.

Look up wear the fox hat

perry

#25 Post by perry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 am

Top effort , congrats Steve.

The Hennesy and State Forest has peaked my interest Mate.. I have just bought a Hammock, nothing as Flash as the Hennesy to dip my Toe into hammock Camping. Did you have an Insulation Mat in the Hammock ? and if so which was it ? Any Tips on Camping / Hiking with a Hammock.

As for the State Forest, a fair while back I sat and completed the Game Council Test for the R and G licence but have not payed for it yet, need to soon as there are Deer on a NSW property I Hunt and I'll get one yet. I have a big road trip down to Mildura / Lillydale coming up in a few months and had wondered about booking a few Hunts in State Forests whilst Traveling through NSW, gives a day or 2 break from Traveling and gets me Hunting and even if Games scarse / non existent nothin wrong with a Bushwalk. Do you Hunt the more localised State Forests Mate or have you ranged further abroad

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbow steve

#26 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 am

TEX wrote:Steve you should make a fox hat.
Like the old ad on tv "where the fox hat"
The ads still on YouTube"
Yeah it would be cool to have a fox hat :lol: , I think I have seen the ad but will look it up again. Steve

longbow steve

#27 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:22 am

perry wrote:Top effort , congrats Steve.

The Hennesy and State Forest has peaked my interest Mate.. I have just bought a Hammock, nothing as Flash as the Hennesy to dip my Toe into hammock Camping. Did you have an Insulation Mat in the Hammock ? and if so which was it ? Any Tips on Camping / Hiking with a Hammock.

As for the State Forest, a fair while back I sat and completed the Game Council Test for the R and G licence but have not payed for it yet, need to soon as there are Deer on a NSW property I Hunt and I'll get one yet. I have a big road trip down to Mildura / Lillydale coming up in a few months and had wondered about booking a few Hunts in State Forests whilst Traveling through NSW, gives a day or 2 break from Traveling and gets me Hunting and even if Games scarse / non existent nothin wrong with a Bushwalk. Do you Hunt the more localised State Forests Mate or have you ranged further abroad

regards Jacko
Hi Perry, I reckon the hammocks are good but in the wrong climate you really need to be prepared with the insulation which I don't think I will get into. I used a 0 degree rated sleeping bag with no other form of insulation and the wind was blowing pretty strong so there was a wind chill factor. Learn the knots they suggest you use as they are a bugger to undo. I used a bowyers knot and it worked ok. I think in summer or down to 10 degrees over night they are a great way to sleep. I had a no name hammock before finding the Hennessy and they are worlds appart, there is no way I could sleep on my side in the no name but I can in the Hennessey. I will probably take the Hammock to Cape York in August.
State Forests-
Pay for your license. I have sussed out 4 forests and seen plenty of game in all of them. Jeffro and I have a good forest on the New England that features a trout stream beside camp and is surrounded by rabbits, feral cats, pigs and Deer which we are yet to spot. The rest are local to me and make for a great overnight escape from work.Here is a pic from my first visit to a certain forest :smile:
100_2962.JPG
100_2962.JPG (128.32 KiB) Viewed 6293 times

longbow steve

#28 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 am

Happy to take you out on your way through but be prepared for cold at that time of year. Cheers Steve

Benny Nganabbarru

#29 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Pure class.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

perry

#30 Post by perry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks for you thoughts on Hammocks Steve. Have been Hunting in the New England for over 30 Yeats, Snow, Frost, Minus 15 and thats just the Mrs - Loveit [ and Her ]

I bought a no name double Hammock, rated to 500 pounds [ no smarties I'm not quite that heavy :oops: ] It has plenty of extra Length and is plenty wide enough to Lay at an angle across it so that my Back stays straight and I reckon it would be fine if I was on my side at a slight angle also

Thanks for the offer, I was not "Fishing" and greatly appreciate it. Shall keep it in mind. At this stage I am travelling with Gary P and Gary is not interested in a R and G Licence, fair enough too. For the sake of $60 or so I should get myself signed off and keep my options open. Even camping in a State Forest with a Bow or other Toy in the Vehicle without a permit is a no no and it's naughty to take Deer without a R Licence in NSW.

Enjoy reading about you Hunts Steve and all the best with your Trip up to the Cape

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin