A quick mid week hunt in the hills

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

A quick mid week hunt in the hills

#1 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

A couple of weeks ago Ol' Rod and I headed out near Inverell to try our luck in the hills. A bloody long drive for the poor old Big Fella, but he was still good enough to come out of his way to pick me up on the mainland, which I appreciated because my vehicle is far from suited to corrugated dirt roads and I've asked a fair bit from it in the last few years. Not much happened on the way out, except that we found a wild apple tree by the side of the road and picked half a dozen for snacks.
Once there we had a yarn with the owner and after taking his advice on not trying to cross the creek to go to our usual camp, decided the wool shed would make fine lodgings for the duration of our short stay.
Accom.jpg
Accom.jpg (194.27 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
It didn't take long for us to get the itch for a bit of huntin' once we had a look out the back
Back yard.jpg
Back yard.jpg (192.12 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
So we were off into it straight away. First off, we go for a walk down to see how the crossing is. On the way down the track Rod noticed a 'roo about 50 mtrs ahead of us, stopped to check him out, then realised it was the four legged variety...better known as deer! Man! 15 mins into the hunt and I see my first wild deer! Rod had a new bow to christen so I dropped to the long grassy upward slope on my left side and watched what was going to transpire. I could only see Rod, who had gone up the bank to place some trees between him and the young fallow buck still browsing on a track-side shrub oblivious to the imminent danger behind the trees just ahead of it. I watched Rod draw, put my head down to stay hidden, heard the shot and thought I heard the accompanying tell tale soft thump that we all want to hear on a shot like this...but I was deluded, it wasn't to be. Somehow the shot went under him and although he didn't bolt, the second shot was no more succesfull and this time he decided he'd rather be elsewhere. A bit of commiseration with LB, then it's time to put in some hard yards and cross the creek...
Crossing.jpg
Crossing.jpg (199.62 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
Hard yards.jpg
Hard yards.jpg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
... then onto have a look around and see what sign is visible. It was a bit tough finding anything having rained an hour or so before but we had a good walk and re-aquainted ourselves with the place. After a couple of hours roaming but not seeing any game we headed back towards camp for a feed and a good sleep. ready to hit the top of the hill the next morn!
Homestead.jpg
Homestead.jpg (196.21 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
More to come...
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Guy Layton

Re: A quick mid week hunt in the hills

#2 Post by Guy Layton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Nephew,

Look out... Looks like a great story coming up...! :mrgreen:

I haven't stayed in one of those shearing sheds since hunting with the dogs.... I really do miss those days.... :wink:

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:
Last edited by Guy Layton on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 pm

I thought serials went out with the Saturday matinee Nephew, what the big idea of drip feeding us? :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking good!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 pm

What on earth is that thing Ol' LB is carrying!!! :surprised: :shock: :confused: :surprised: :shock:
If my eyes aren't deceivin' me; serve himself right for missin' that deer. 8) What did that Darren Hinch used to say - Shame shame shame!!! :razz:

Oh, good to see you fellas got to go on another hunt and I look forward to the rest of the story. :biggrin:

Jeff

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Had to break for dinner, Bob, and work out the build up to the big reveal Stickbow just gave away!

What Jeffery? You mean THIS...?
Yeti with contraption.jpg
Yeti with contraption.jpg (196.91 KiB) Viewed 7200 times

I was saving this for the last pic of the story for those less observant, and yes you can all be assured I inquired many times into the contraptions ability to make Cappachinos, recieving Foxtel, etc... :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Guy Layton

#6 Post by Guy Layton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

:shock:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Bloody hell I clean missed that! No wonder I cant hit any damn thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Ummmmm Ummmmmm its its it must be Photo shopped :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm

As young Smiley used to say, FLABBERGASTIN'!!! :shock: :lol:

Sorry if I ruined your story Craig but as soon as I saw that photo I thought somethin' didn't look right and it surely wasn't. I'm still in shock. :shock: :confused:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Ahhh hahhh,i'm a member of both worlds now :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Ahhh hahhh,i'm a member of both worlds now :biggrin:
You mean you've lot the plot??? :mrgreen: I'm stunned mate, stunned I tell ya!!! :confused: :sad:

Jeff

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Photoshopped?! :surprised: Don't even try that, Buddy, you used a compound ( missed a 30 yard shot on an unaware deer with it!!), and there's no denying it! :razz: :lol: In fact, I never saw him shoot a trad bow the whole time we were there, and he had a couple in camp too, Fellas! For shame! :roll: ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No worries on the story Jeffy, it still got the same impact! :lol:
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Ahhh hahhh,i'm a member of both worlds now :biggrin:
What worlds would they be, mate? Mad and Lunatic? :mrgreen:

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Pretty much

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 pm

well i missed the 30yrd shot cause i thought ya just draw and release and the bow did the rest

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:38 pm

now i find out i shoulda used the sights

Curvemeister

#17 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Haha , top stuff lads , loks like a very nice place to spend some time , what type of deer was it ?

Thats not one of your creations Rod is it ? a Gringa " evolution" ?

I cant talk , i have one in the stable myself , as they say "variety is the spice of life".

Look forward to the rest of the story , thanks for sharing.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

blu-dog

#18 Post by blu-dog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 pm

As one of the Bundy crew...I can now divulge a little more. 8)

Apart becoming a compound shooter - Rod now has pedicures, uses facial toner, gets parts of his body waxed and sees a stylist called Ramone!
:oops: :razz: :oops: :razz:

Just kidding :lol: - I can safely assure you that he no longer has that bow!!! It has moved on to greener pastures :lol:

The Universe has maintained partial equilibrium!!!
:biggrin:
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Curvemeister

#19 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Duh , yep saw it now , sorry , a " young Fallow buck " as you were gentlemen , carry on :confused: :lol:
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

Nephew

#20 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:59 pm

blu-dog wrote:As one of the Bundy crew...I can now divulge a little more. 8)

Apart becoming a compound shooter - Rod now has pedicures, uses facial toner, gets parts of his body waxed and sees a stylist called Ramone!

Just kidding :lol: - I can safely assure you that he no longer has that bow!!! It has moved on to greener pastures :lol:

Yeah, 'cause typical of compounders he owned that one for a week, saw some flash piccies of another brand in a magazine ad , then ran off to buy it because it "makes him shoot better" !! :roll: :razz: :mrgreen:
Tsk Tsk Tsk, no perserverance or determination to master the art of shooting Trad bows at all! (Ok, I gotta stop now, he's already gonna get me for this! :lol: :lol: )
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 pm

blu-dog wrote:As one of the Bundy crew...I can now divulge a little more. 8)

Can't wait to see him with a shirt off after being waxed :lol: . Steve

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Umm Paul, i sold that one and bought a brand spankin new PSE...DNA pro series X force :biggrin: :biggrin: it makes me coffee massages my feet and loves me..

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 pm

You dont really want to see that do you Steve?

Gringa Bows

#24 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm

There aint no hair there to wax

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:15 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Umm Paul, i sold that one and bought a brand spankin new PSE...DNA pro series X force :biggrin: :biggrin: it makes me coffee massages my feet and loves me..
Please no more. I'm having trouble handling this - just so sad. :cry:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#26 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 pm

its ok mate,some people have trad bows and guns,i have trad bows and a gunpound same thing :roll: :lol:

discord

#27 Post by discord » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:50 pm

27885290.jpg
27885290.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 7148 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HAIL ERIS!

hazard

#28 Post by hazard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 pm

My faith in humanity is devastated :shock: I can't believe my own eyes :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Nephew

#29 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Anyways, enough horror, lets get on with the hunt...
...The first full day was fairly uneventful, efforts notwithstanding. We put in the K's but didn't see a lot and were back at camp earlier than anticipated and had a day to fill until the arvo hunt. Rod went off for another walk and I made a cuppa and kicked back for a while. Enjoying the quiet of the hills mid- morning was a delight to savour, here on the island there's always ferries, barges, chainsaws, power tools, cars etc to drown out the birdsong and breeze but at the woolshed there was none of it. After a while I heard the unmistakable tinkle of a small stream of liquid creating a puddle and thought Rod must be back and marking his territory... but it was the property owner getting water from the shed tank, so I went out and offered him a coffee, which he happily accepted just as Rod came back up the track so it was cuppas & a yarn for three. During the trip out Rod had told me he had brought one of his earlier Gringa creations as a gift for the owner, and he had decided now was the time to present it. Old mate seemed very pleased with Rods offering and wanted to have a crack at it straight away so we headed outside for a few start out pointers...
The owners new bow.jpg
The owners new bow.jpg (198 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
and before long he was away!
Having a go.jpg
Having a go.jpg (198.18 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
We'll make him up some more target arras next time we go out (left him about 5, I think) and when he feels ready, some broadhead arras to try a hunt with us, but he's a pretty busy bloke so that may be some time away yet. Not much to report on the arvo hunt, didn't see a thing after splitting up for a while, nor together. Very quiet indeed. After we got back to camp we had a look at another part of the property where pig traps had been set out but had nothing in them. They had been at the grain in the trap, but not sprung it. The devilishly clever little blighters! Well, they must dine there during the night because niether of us saw anything on our respective walks, and I had sat off the pad leading to the trap for about 40 mins before we decided it was time we had a quiet beer and reflected on our lack of success so far. The owner joined us for one and after a few yarns and a good laugh we headed off to bed determined to improve our score the next day.

Well, despite of previous nights enthusiasm, and an early night we still both seemed to like our swags too much to leave 'em at the crack 'o dawn as planned, so we got out kinda late. "Gonna have to push it a bit now" we thought and so after another creek crossing ( after doing this a couple of times a day it was beginning to lose it's novelty, let me assure you) we set out for the top of the highest hill we could see, to maybe find where game may be camped up for the day. An hour or so of slog later, we still hadn't seen any game, but were rewarded with this view of camp...
Top of the hill.jpg
Top of the hill.jpg (199.19 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
and the surrounding land...
Next door.jpg
Next door.jpg (199.71 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
and even some kind of wildlife!...
A yeti in the scrub.jpg
A yeti in the scrub.jpg (199.82 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
wildlife.jpg
wildlife.jpg (195.89 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
. We made it back to camp feeling a bit dejected with it all so decided we'd drive into Inverell for some real coffee and smokes (They were for Rod, Sir! Honest! :wink: ) and what a nice town it is, too. Got some good coffee from a very attractive young lady (who managed to get the fact that she was married with a child to a big, tough fella into the first 30 secs of the conversation! :lol: ), had a small roam around town, checked out a hunting & fishing store, then headed back out to the property to have a kip and prepare for the big push in the arvo...
...which turned out to be as sparse an excercise as all the others! We went as far as we could in one direction, reached the boundry and turned, walked for as long as we could in that direction, yet didn't see a thing, not even any recent sign! Very dissapointing indeed! As we headed back along a farm road to camp, knowing the hunt was over, Rod suddenly hissed "STOP! Pig up ahead!", and he was right, one had just come out of the scrub at the bottom of the hills (By this stage I had given up and was just strolling, not really taking notice of my suroundings...lesson learned about vigilence!) and after offering it to me, I declined and he went after it. It had clocked us as it crossed the track and trotted to some trees which is when I lost sight of him, but Rod had him in sight as he took off across some open grass land (lots of rain, very long grass) to the creek, and then he was gone. That was it, the last chance we would get this trip. The mood walking back to camp was a bit grim, but it was still good to be out in the bush, roaming with my TRAD bow ( sorry mate, just had to get one more in before the end of the yarn :wink: :mrgreen: )
Inverell.jpg
Inverell.jpg (196.17 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
and once back theres nothing more to tell. We went to bed early, got up early and while Rod went for one more look I broke camp and packed. In an act of supreme optimism for a man of his vintage Rod collected some Osage fruit hoping to propogate some for future use
Osage Fruit.jpg
Osage Fruit.jpg (187.14 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
and that's it. That fallow got to us though, and we're heading back out in the first week of April to see how we go. From what we can work out that's when the rut is most likely to be in swing, but I'm sure those wily deer will have plenty to teach us before we ever get near 'em!
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jcm

#30 Post by jcm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Craig,
Good photos and a good story.Next issue Archery Action?
Rod better luck with the new bow.
Regards

John