Getting Aquainted With Bob

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Macca

Getting Aquainted With Bob

#1 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 am

I just received my new Bob Lee takedown 60” AMO, 55lb @ 28”one week before Xmas. I spent the next couple of weeks building up some shafts which ended up at around the 600 grain mark with a 300 grain point weight. A couple of weeks later I was heading to the River to get acquainted with Bob and blood him. On this trip there would be Special and myself, after a bit of planning we were set. The date would be the Australia day long weekend. We arrived at the property about the middle morning and spoke with the property owner. After a rather long conversation we were off to our camp site for the weekend, which was only a couple of Km’s away from our current location.

As soon as we hit camp Special was into the Weaco for a Super Dry, after all it was Australia Day. With the gear unpacked we set a couple of block targets up and I assembled the takedown and began slinging arrows. The day was very hot and we decided to do a little fishing prior to an afternoon hunt. Special decided he would continue on the Extra Dry and catch river rabbits.
I grabbed my kit after touching up a few ribbies and I was off into the hills. We did not bring any meat with us for the weekend so my first task was to put a nice young goat on the ground for a goat roast for dinner. I jumped in my Kayak and headed up river, stopping every now and then to glass. It wasn’t long and spotted a small mob of goats feeding about 100 metres off the river. I beached my yak and planned the stalk; the wind was up to its old tricks as it does.

I decided to head up high and that would give me a few options pending wind and the goat’s movements. I walked about 400 metres and I now had about five goats 100 metres below me. I dropped into a gully and used the lay of the land to close the gap. Before I knew it I was 40 metres out with a slight rise in front of me. An arrow was nocked and I pushed forward using a small tree as cover on my final approach. Now at 30 metres and normally I would take the shot with my Monster MR6, but still too far with the curve. I finally made it into 15 metres and ready to draw, the young nanny gave me a quartering shot. I released and the arrow was away finding its mark, initially I thought may be too much quarter and only one lung. I nocked another arrow and it was away to secure dinner for day one.

After taking the backstraps I moved on, about an hour later I was on to a small mob of young billys. I made my way through the timber, half ghost and half cat. Closing the gap to about 25 metres I wanted another five to 10 metres. Finally the goat turned away from me allowing the extra few metres. I came to full draw anchored for a few seconds and the arrow zipped on through. A couple of photos and I was off again

I moved off and began to climb high in pursuit of more game. I wanted to just walk the river and about 100 metres in from the water, but the wind was changing as I passed each gully. I decided to move up higher for the reason of the wind and too allow me the option with an approach. As I got higher I sat and glassed the river flats, whilst doing so I heard movement from behind. I turned around and hoped up, I observed a small billy which looked lost. An arrow was nocked and I began to nanny call, after a minute or so I had the small billy running at like a fox too the whistle. As he got to about 15 metres I drew and held anchor, finally at 5 metres I shot him quartering on. He instantly collapsed and an insurance shot was taken.

I was one very happy hunter now, I came with the intent to down a critter with the Bob Lee takedown and I had already had dinner and a couple on the ground. A couple of pics were taken and I sat there reflecting on the last couple of stalks. I love bow hunting goats and have managed to down a lot over the years but the recurve takes that to a whole new level. I thought then I need to take stock of my arrows and cleaned a few up and touched the blades up with a small diamond file. As I did this I spotted movement down below me and a couple of hundred metres to my left, mmm pigs.

Checking the wind I devised an approach plan, continue up higher and drop down to a ferned area along a game trail. I got to where I had last seen the pigs and nothing, as I edged further over a small bench I spotted a couple of small ones. I then thought there could also be some pork on the menu for dinner. Managing to get into 10 metres from them I noticed there were three pigs. With an arrow already on the string, I drew and the arrow was away only to shoot over the top of the pig. The arrow sailed into the water and I nocked another arrow, as the pig walked across to my right I drew and shot in one motion hitting my pork dinner nice. I was over the moon that I had downed a pig with the new curve.

With photos taken I thought I would make my way back to the Kayak and have a few coldies back at camp, it was only day one and I had achieved the blooding of the recurve. I made my way to the top of the spur line this allowed me to glass both sides of the ridge on my return. Further glassing along the way, then I spotted two pigs rooting through some blackberry bush down on the river. A plan was devised and I was dropping down to there position, as I did so I made my way across a small flat with thick dead tussock. As I approached all off a sudden I dropped down to my waist in what I realised then was a wombat burrow. The tunnel had collapsed and I was now in it, after I made my way out of it I took stock of a number of cuts to my arms and checked my bow and arrows. By this time the pigs were gone, but glassing around had me onto another small billy. The wind was perfect and I put a few trees between me and him. I was now at about 20 – 25 metres, I thought I could get another 5 – 10 metres on him. Now at around 20 metres I drew anchored for a couple of seconds and the arrow was on its way. I watched as it entered tight in the sweet spot, the arrow zipped out the other side and into a tree. The billy made a half circle and ran down hill about 30 metres, awesome stalk and shot. I made my way down to the billy and obtained a few happy snaps.

I made my way towards my kayak and as I glassed ahead I spotted a ferral cat, a nice plump fat one. As I glassed, it was I noticed two black cats, it was decided to back up and go higher to drop down on to the location. I made my way back into the timber and climbed higher.

TBC.......

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Getting Aquainted With Bob

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:29 am

Congrats Macca! You had a cracker of an afternoon and I look forward to the rest of the story. :biggrin:

They're old Ribbies you are using.

Jeff

hotcam

#3 Post by hotcam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am

I had achieved the blooding
You don't say! That's a busy day. I'd be over the moon if I achieved that in a long weekend.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 pm

8) well done Macca, the weather it was kind. :?:
You have one nice looking bow there, you have done it proud or is that it has done you proud, either way it looks as if you've had a great hunt..............bill

Macca

#5 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

After getting up higher and dropping down to where I thought the cats were, they were nowhere to be seen. After some attempts to squeak them in I decided I would head back to camp and as I paddle in I see Special with his rod bent over and fighting hard on the rod. As I pull in he is dragging a 10lb carp to the water’s edge, he hooks it with a home made wire landing jig and drags it up onto the shore. I see he has set up his stool and surrounding the stool there would have been 15 – 20 carp and as many empty extra drys. By this stage I am rather parched and get into the spirit of Australia day.

DAY 2
The following day we dragged the yaks to the water and began to paddle down stream. First up it would be Rob to break the ice and nock a critter over for some meat for the pot. We paddled out into the middle of the river and paddled slowly down river glassing as we went. Rob spotted a small mob up high on a spur line and hand signalled to me to pull into a creek wash out. After a short conversation Rob was off, sometime had passed and I herd what sounded like arrow contacting body mass. Rob jumped on the radio and indicated to me he had dinner on the ground. I made my way up higher and a quick happy snap was taken.

To be continued.......

I decided I would go across the spur and glass the lower country and Rob would check out the lower blackberry country due to the large amount of pig sign we had been seeing. I had travelled a KM or two and sighted two small pigs about 500 metres away and down low in some blackberry country. I made my way down to where I had last sighted them but the wind started swirling from behind. Making my way out to the right, I then came back down to the location where I had sighted them earlier. I paused and sighted movement at the base of some blackberry bush, the pigs began to move from my right to left. I triggered the Gopro camera, nocked an arrow, straddling down on my butt into about 25m. The pigs were going to be out of sight in another 5m so I drew back and the ribbie was away connecting through the side of his chest. He stumbled to the base of some blackberryies so I shot him again for insurance purposes.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Macca, no offence but you really do need a new makeup artist! :shock: :lol:

Jeff

Macca

#7 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Bill the weather was kind for this time of the year, but saying that I was running a bit dehydrated during certain periods. I took 3 litres of water everytime I went for a walk and on the second day I would of drank 5 - 6 litres.

Jeff the Ribbies are oldies but goodies. I have about 150 left but they are perfect for my river hunting. The toll on arrows is sometimes great and they do a fine job :) I thought you would like the makeup, should have seen me with my Gopro camera stuck to my head lol......

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Macca wrote:Jeff the Ribbies are oldies but goodies.
Yeah mate I used them up until Col made the 190's. There is a stash (drum) of 190's put away so I'm sure they will see me out. :biggrin:
Macca wrote:I thought you would like the makeup, should have seen me with my Gopro camera stuck to my head lol......
You hit us with the makeup but never showed us the accessories - tut tut! :lol:

Jeff

Macca

#9 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

After a quick happy snap and looking for my arrow I got on the radio and told rob I had spotted a couple of small pigs. I planned to meet up with Rob further to the East and a short time later I did. I walked about 150 – 200 metres off the river in the timber, this provided plenty of cover. Rob managed to take a couple of goats close to the river for the property owner and we decided we would pick them up later. Rob managed to shoot these from 20 – 30 metres I managed to glass from my position 300 metres away. However he did get a bit of a fright when a Red Belly stood and shaped up to him.

After a short time I glassed a small billy not far from the rivers edge. I closed the gap and I was now at 35 metres but still a bit too far for a high % shot with the curve. After some anxious moments I was now at 25 metres. I managed a nice shot from 25 ish metres and secured another small Billy.

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Macca, no offence but you really do need a new makeup artist! :shock: :lol:

Jeff
I don't know Jeff, I reckon it works for him :lol: .
Well done Macca, what a first day. Would have been good to add a cat to the mixed bag.
Good to see Rob still going at it. Cheers Steve

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:10 pm

longbow steve wrote:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Macca, no offence but you really do need a new makeup artist! :shock: :lol:

Jeff
I don't know Jeff, I reckon it works for him :lol: .
Well done Macca, what a first day. Would have been good to add a cat to the mixed bag.
Good to see Rob still going at it. Cheers Steve
I don't care how pretty he looks "Game on the ground" is still "Game on the Ground", he could wear a bright pink shirt with 'Gringa" on it and it would be just as good 8)

Well done Macca great to see your out there having a go. Did any of those Carp work to bring in whiska's?

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Macca

#12 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Hazard there is a cat tail amonst this, more to come :lol:

Macca

#13 Post by Macca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm

After the mandatory pics we were off again heading back to the Yaks. After getting back to camp Rob checked the supply of coldies, grabbing a couple we grabbed our rods and had a quick fish before dinner. Over a couple of coldies we discussed the days events and sharpened boadheads which became a ritual every night. It ended up being a late night that and it was more about thw whole experience not just hunting. We were fortunate enough to be staying the shearers quarters that night so was pretty comfy. We were getting mini storms in the afternoons and the wind and rain came in sideways for short periods. After a night of talking tall stories and downing coldies I retired to my swag.

It wasn’t long and I heard an all mighty bang out the front of the shed, this was not a one off and the banging was scary. Both of us jumped up and I walked towards the door, next thing I know and a feral cat burst through the door with an empty tin can on it’s head. I jumped out of the way and it was bouncing of walls, I did not want to get cut up with this cat. The cat ran into the door pillar and the can popped from it’s head and vanished as quick as it appeared, WOW what a rush. After a short conversation with Rob I was asleep.

DAY 3.
A quick feed of Weet Bix and fruit and I was on my way down river. The plan being to just have a quick hunt and we would pack our gear and head home. After a few hours we were on a small mob of goats as we walked the river and a well planned stalk from Rob and he secured a small billy. The mandatory pics were taken and we pushed on.

I was hoping I may get a quick stalk on a mob of young goats ahead and we would turn and head for camp. Things went my way and it wasn’t long before I was at 25m, but I wanted to get real close on this last stalk. I had a tree between me and one of them and the other turned and started to feed away from me. I seized this moment and pushed on to the tree and the goats turned towards me, I was now behind the tree with five goats under 10m. I waited till the grey turned and gave me a good quartering shot. The goat turned, I drew anchored, settled the arrow was gone, straight threw the spot where I was burning a hole through with my eyes. The heart was pumping, the other grey quartered and I had an arrow already on the string. I drew and the arrow was gone, now there were two on the ground, I regained my composure and just took it in for a minute.

With pics taken it was back to camp to pack out gear and make our way home. In summary and reflecting back, it was a great weekend over all. I had an absoloute ball playing with the recurve for the weekend. My goal was to just go and have fun which I did, there were no big trophys taken this trip but that’s hunting. The arrows worked a treat with the ribbies and the bow shot true. I did manage to see 5 monster goats togeather and maybe we may cross paths next time.

Bob and I are now aquainted, thanks for reading my story

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 pm

Top Stuff mate. You and Rob sure had a great long weekend. That would have been exciting times with that cat! :shock: :lol: Thanks for taking us along through your story and great photos. I look forward to reading about your next trip. :biggrin:

Jeff

Axefanatic

#15 Post by Axefanatic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for the awesome story!

Wish I could have as much fun in a weekend over here.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Top story and pics Macca :biggrin: as Jef said looking forward to the next story.....

rodlonq

#17 Post by rodlonq » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am

Great hunting Macca and Rob. Really enjoyed your story and piccies as well. Thanks.

Cheers......... Rod

RobHunter

#18 Post by RobHunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 am

Looks like a fantastic weekend of hunting.

Rgds

Rob

Macca

#19 Post by Macca » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks all, It was a top weekend, it's good that you enjoyed the read.

Cheers Macca.

rodlonq

#20 Post by rodlonq » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Macca,

How'd you get that much weight up front. Thems are wood shafts by the look of it...... Some sort of woody tip insert? I do like ribbies but I don't have as many stored away as others unfortunately.

Cheers.... Rod

Macca

#21 Post by Macca » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm

rodlonq wrote:Macca,

How'd you get that much weight up front. Thems are wood shafts by the look of it...... Some sort of woody tip insert? I do like ribbies but I don't have as many stored away as others unfortunately.

Cheers.... Rod
Rod the shafts are GT Trads, the ribbies are around 155 - 160 grain, insert and adapter are 140 grains. They seem to shoot real nice, I draw between 28 1/2 and 29".

rodlonq

#22 Post by rodlonq » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 am

So thems aren't wood shafts? They certainly look like wood :roll: ?

Cheers...... Rod

Tonylange

#23 Post by Tonylange » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 am

Damn Macca, when you said you got some goats, you really ment it! Haha.
Great Read of what looked like an awesome trip!
P.s i like your new sanded broadie target along with accessory bow holder :P
Looks like we'll have some more to talk about at our next SBI Shoot ay
Regards Tony
To fire one lonesome arrow,
At thou's only beating heart.
To pierce thy flesh,
to kill this beast.
Tis the hunters sacred art.

Owner And Maker of: Blue Moon Archery

Macca

#24 Post by Macca » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 am

Tony it was a great weekend , the target butt is awesome and I only shoot broahead's exclusively except for club shoots. Remember you were the first one to put a broadhead into the timber ha ha ha. The rack on the butt is a great edition, see ya at the next club shoot.

Cheers Macca

Curvemeister

#25 Post by Curvemeister » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am

Top stuff , looked like a great weekend away , congrats tothe both of you for a good haul of game.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

special

#26 Post by special » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for the invite Macca...A pleasure as allways mate.
Hopefully by March 2nd we will have a pic of you and Bob standing over a Fallow..You never know,It could even be a Buck(Ive been scouting)And Ive got the ideal spot to put you and Curvey for a bit of venison.

Macca

#27 Post by Macca » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Rob can not wait now, I have been spending some time at the practice butt, bring on the rut.

Guy Layton

#28 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Sorry Macca, I must of missed this one....

Top hunt mate... Loads of game taken...!

I can see how the country you hunt looks very similar to the country I hunt...!

Looks like a top spot... 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Macca

#29 Post by Macca » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Sorry Macca, I must of missed this one....

Top hunt mate... Loads of game taken...!

I can see how the country you hunt looks very similar to the country I hunt...!

Looks like a top spot... 8)

Cheers Guy

Thanks Guy it is a great spot, I have been hunting here for over 15 years . Very similar looking to the country you hunt . The bob Lee shoots real nice but next trip I am hoping to blood the Flatline on a nice mountain boar .

Cheers Macca

Buranurra

#30 Post by Buranurra » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Great work Macca! Great story and pics.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28