Bow sights??

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

jesse1987

Bow sights??

#1 Post by jesse1987 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Firstly let me say that I am jesse1987 wife that has hacked his account temporarily just to ask a a question and apologise if this is in the wrong place....

So, he has broken his sight on his bow (don't ask how) and I want to surprise him with a new one. But.... I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for.
I have noticed they range from $50-$300 in a variety of pins and colours....

He has a Fred Bear showdown compound. If that matters.

Can I have some suggestions and advice on what would be a decent sight for it. Also, what brands or things to steer clear of. He doesn't hunt every weekend but hunts maybe once or twice a month.
I was thinking of spending around the $150-$200 mark.

What specifics should I look for? I will be going in to look at some in shops but when I have kids in tow I would rather be in and out with the right thing.

Thanks.
Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

bigbob

Re: Bow sights??

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

Really is a matter of personal choice, I'm afraid.For someone out side archery it is totally confusing. there are single pin, multi pin , sliding pin, fixed pin etc. If he uses a multi pin ie, 3 or more pins then any sight from a reputable dealer would probably be ok. I 'm not really up to speed on them myself these days and I'm sure some guys will come in here with valuable advice.Even the diameter of pins is a personal choice ie .19mm, etc.depending on eyesight etc.Hope you get the advice you need.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 am

if you do not get advice here it is not meanness but simply we are bare bowers, we actually do not use sights. Even when I shoot a compound once a year I shoot without sights. Take his bow plus broken sight down to a good dealer. They should be impressed with what you are doing and should give you advice.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

hotcam

#4 Post by hotcam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 am

That's good advice! And/or make sure that the dealer is happy to exchange easily if you get him
the wrong one.

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

That is a wonderful thing you are doing for your man, he will be really impressed I reckon. The alternative to buying an expensive sight setup is to show him the light (traditional archery) so he can move away from the dark side (compound archery)..... only joking :biggrin: . The above advice is most likely the best path, especially if you have the old sight as well, the dealer will have a good idea of what your husband prefers, and can install it and even tune it up so it is ready to shoot.

bigbob wrote:Really is a matter of personal choice, I'm afraid.For someone out side archery it is totally confusing. there are single pin, multi pin , sliding pin, fixed pin etc. If he uses a multi pin ie, 3 or more pins then any sight from a reputable dealer would probably be ok. I 'm not really up to speed on them myself these days and I'm sure some guys will come in here with valuable advice.Even the diameter of pins is a personal choice ie .19mm, etc.depending on eyesight etc.Hope you get the advice you need.
Thanks Bob, I think you've cured me of ever again daydreaming what it must be like to shoot a bow with sights :lol: I did use a compound for good many years but alway used it bare and drew with fingers. In fact the whole reason I returned to trad a few years ago is because I couldn't find a replacement compound that was long enough to draw with fingers comfortably.

Cheers....... Rod

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 am

I still play with my compound at times for certain events and as its a 10 year old Martin cougar its Axle to axle is about 42'', absolutely great for shooting fingers and barebow. I do even have a Martin set up with sights etc in the rare possibility of a hunting trip in deference to infirmity and advancing age. Its all archery and all good.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

jesse1987

#7 Post by jesse1987 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey guys Jesse here well iv just found this post lol was a bit confused at first lol my dear wife ended up getting me an awesome sight for my compound as well as some new shafts for trad bow ...sure married a keeper I reckon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 pm

jesse1987 wrote:Hey guys Jesse here well iv just found this post lol was a bit confused at first lol my dear wife ended up getting me an awesome sight for my compound as well as some new shafts for trad bow ...sure married a keeper I reckon
She's a goodun' alright mate!!! :lol:

Jeff

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Too right mate.