Just back from a Sucessful Goat Hunt !

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Just back from a Sucessful Goat Hunt !

#1 Post by perry » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Not long back from a Hunt out St George way with a great Hunting Mate "Evil Dave". Now Evil shoots a Compound and is the best and most knowledable Hunter I have ever seen. He teaches me something each and every Hunt !!!!!!!!!

Talk about Funny Weather !!! Storms in the Days Prior to the Hunt, Humidity, it got Hot enough Saturday Arvo that I felt Crook from the Heat and my Heart was not in the Hunt, walked away from Shot opportunities. It got "Cold Cold" about 3.30 every Morning, a little Rain while we where in a back Paddock. Full Moon so bright you could see Colour, The Wind Blowing steady 20 Knots most of Sunday Night and Monday until mid afternoon. It was Gusting to 30 Knots and today when we leave for Home at 5.30 am – perfect for Hunting. There was also Fires in the district. Green Pick sprouted everywhere and Water Pooled on the Ground in all the Paddocks. The Tracks where sloppy enough to restrict our access Saturday morning but dried enough by the Arvo that we could access enough of the property and not tear up the Tracks.
Hunt New Year 2013 002 - Copy.JPG
Hunt New Year 2013 002 - Copy.JPG (191.68 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Daves Billy.JPG
Daves Billy.JPG (181.33 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
As you can see from the photo’s we shot a couple of respectable Goats, sadly small Bodied and the Horns looked Bigger on the Hoof than they Scored when they hit the Ground, mine went 31 1/2 Spread, just under 91 Points shot initially through the Heart at 10 metres and 2 more unnecessary Arrows as he ran quartering away, he made it 15 Yards. No great shakes with a stalk, basically marched up to Him, stood still for a few minutes waiting for a Shot as he gave a smaller Billy a Hiding. I did not bring the Horns Home as I have a Rule to try not to shoot anything smaller than ABA Trophy Class unless I’m going to eat it. I was not looking for a Skin. It was the Rut and this was the Boss Billy in the Mob and all the testosterone charged Teenagers where challenging Him in-between Raping Nanny’s and he would have been Rank.

After Hunting for 20 Years with Selfbows of approx 60# I am impressed with my Grozer Magyar Bio Composite Asiatic Recurve. It zapped Arrows through that Goat like you would not believe a 45# Trad Bow capable of. Really impressed with it’s Power. I used Hand Planed Queensland Quandong Barrelled Shaft, Vented Black Stump Broadhead 540 gr Mass.

As for Dave’s Goat It took us 45 minutes to sneak into a Mob of 400 plus Goats scattered about a lightly Wooded Clearing. I bailed as it was getting too risky with so many Eyes. As I sat under a Shady Tree and watched Daves progress at times Goats fed / walked or Rutted only a couple metres from where I was sitting. A Billy soorly tempted me with an easy Shot but I let him be as I judged him about the same size as the Billy I shot earlier.

Daves Billy was Running from Nanny to Nanny, picking Fights, fighting of Challenges and the whole time keeping an Eye on Dave. Eventually after a hard and Skillfull Stalk Evil shot his Goat through the front of the Chest. This was the biggest Goat we saw on the Trip, had a 33 1/2' Spread and due to his deep Curles Green Scored near 96 Points.

We shot them about 2 K apart in the same Paddock. I shot mine Sunday Morning and Dave’s Monday Arvo. I shot my Billy slightly uphill from where Dave shot his. As you can tell from the Buffel Grass and Herb Ground Cover the low part of the Paddock copped better Rain during the Storms.
Hunt New Year 2013 014 - Copy.JPG
Hunt New Year 2013 014 - Copy.JPG (135.02 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
We saw Echidna’s on Sunday Morning and Monday Arvo at different ends of the Property, only ever seen 1 or 2 others in my life while Hunting. We could not access the Pig Paddock until late Sunday due to the Wet and only saw 5 or 6 Pigs for the Weekend, no luck

regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hazard

Re: Just back from a Sucessful Goat Hunt !

#2 Post by hazard » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for sharing Perry, Great pickies and great story

Was this the first blooding of this bow?

The Echidna was quite a big one, I see them more often about home than on the hunt as well, did it seem healthy?

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Congrats to you both on shooting ya billies!!! The place looks green alright. A good way to spend a few days for sure. :biggrin: Thanks for the story and photos Perry.

Jeff

perry

#4 Post by perry » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks Fella's, Sure was Green but they have had a poor Season before the Storms hit. The Goats, Cattle, Roo's and even the Pigs where all on the thin side.

The Echidna was Heavy, probably 4 Kg. The one we saw at the other end of the Property was just as Healthy. The first Photo I posted - the bits sticking out are it's back Legs and if you look close it was sneaking a look out and you can make out it's Face. The second Echidna was a little Shy and kept digging in every time I tried for a Photo of it Walking.
Hunt New Year 2013 006.JPG
Hunt New Year 2013 006.JPG (175.51 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
It was the Grozers first Hunt and first Kill. I'm dead set sold on these Bio Composites. My Magyars so smooth that it has me thinking my Crook Shoulder can handle another 10 or 15 Pounds. This 45# Bow will handle any Critter I'll encounter where I Hunt with ease. I do need a new set of Hunting Arrows, I have plenty of that Quandong waiting to be Planed and I think I'll up the Spine and Mass of the Broadheads a little for added Grunt.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

slinkymalinky

#5 Post by slinkymalinky » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:27 am

Congrats on a successful hunt, even if the weather sounds like it did its best to disrupt your plans. Good to see you blood that horse bow.

I'd love to hear the full details of the stalk on the echidna :biggrin:

Cheers, Tony
"There is no spoon"

Jeffro

#6 Post by Jeffro » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:32 am

Not bad sets of horns on those goats Jacko.
There absolutely everywhere at the place we go ,you gotta scare em off to get to the pigs.Not as good horns there but.
Only ever seen 2 echidnas hey?well theres lots of em down here,did you have a hard time de wedging him off the ground :razz:
Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Bill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 am

Well done Perry, it's good to hear that your happy with the way your bow performed. :biggrin: They are a couple of respectable looking animals........Bill

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am

good to see you getting out and amongst them Perry. also 'blooding' the grozier. Seems to be an impressive bow!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Good one Perry................,i need to get out hunting soon i'm having withdrawels :biggrin:

Guy Layton

#10 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Top work Perry...!

You must be super chuffed with the Groziers first hunt and kill.... Well done.. :biggrin:

I was just saying on Jeffro and Steves hunt thread... that after seeing Steve take his his fox with the selfbow, that I want to pick up my selfbow for the next hunt, but now after seeing you take your nice billy with the horse bow, I want to pick up the Saluki...! :lol:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Well done Perry, good to see you get out and about. Sounds like a great bow you have there, I was really impressed with the ones at the Gympie shoot. Cheers Steve

perry

#12 Post by perry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks for the comment Fella's, correction - no such thing as a Horsebow - this is an Asiatic :mrgreen:

Rod I was going Nuts, only been on 1 other Hunt this Year. My Soul needed Feeding. We had to count back Nights so that we knew when to come Home. Both of us went into Nature Mode and what Day it was or what Time it was became irrelevant. At work today I really struggled to get back into Ratrace Mode :cry:

We saw over 1000 Goats this Trip. We saw them in every Paddock but the Paddock where Dave and I shot these Billy's help the vast majority. A few months back when neither of us could get out for a Hunt the Cocky reckons there where more Pigs than Goats. It's been 3 Years since I had a succesfull Boar Hunt.

Details on the Stalk on the Echidna's - I was keeping that under Wraps :biggrin: The Photo with one at the base of the Tree, - just walked right on past us as we where standing over the Billy I Shot. Me being me I joked " I wonder what they Taste like??" Dave answers - Too much work to clean em - let it go !!! :lol:

The 2nd Echidna, imagine as the Sun was setting, too early for the Moon to be up as we drove through the Top Paddock once renowned for Pigs before the Authorities Shut down the Bore Drain, a Dark shape darts into Piggy looking long Grass and through a Reed Bed just like a little Pig would !!!

I ran into the Scrub, saw a small Dark Shape, chased after it as Evil wanted a Sucker to bring Home, saw it was an Echidna and just picked it up. Friendly little Fella, made no attempt to Dig in just Curled up and kept sneaking little looks at the strange Critters that had it.

Steve I do not recall being more impressed with an off the Shelf Bow. This is the 3rd Generation Bio Composite.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Buranurra

#13 Post by Buranurra » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Top stuff Jacko! Great story and pics - congrats!!!
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Nephew

#14 Post by Nephew » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 am

Always good to blood a new bow, whatever it's classification! :biggrin: Nice billy, Perry. :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Guy Layton

#15 Post by Guy Layton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm

perry wrote:Thanks for the comment Fella's, correction - no such thing as a Horsebow - this is an Asiatic :mrgreen:

regards Jacko

Sorry Jacko, I hope I didn't offend you mate...! I'll make sure I get it right for you next time.. :biggrin:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

temudjin

#16 Post by temudjin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey Perry,

well done on the successful hunt and glad to hear the Grozer did the job for you.

Looking forward to the start of this year's trad season and hope to see you at some shoots.

All the best,

Tom

perry

#17 Post by perry » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Good on Ya Guy :biggrin:

Tom, I was musing to Evil that the 45# Grozer Magyar is so Smooth that my Crook Shoulder is not giving me any Grief when I shoot it and a 55# ish Bio Composite could be the go as a Hunting only Bow ! If only my Wallet matched my Wimms, catch up soon

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

BenBow

#18 Post by BenBow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:44 am

looks like a good time

rodlonq

#19 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am

Very nice Perry, I would be very happy to bag a nice billy like that....... mmm one day.

Cheers.... Rod