Map Reading

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Carl_SlayR

Map Reading

#1 Post by Carl_SlayR » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi All,

I've had my NSW R-Licence for nearly a year now and havn't been hunting on public land yet because I'm not sure how to read their maps and know if I'm still in the right area of a place I've never been before. How do I go about learning to read them properly ?. I really want to get out around my area (Newcastle). Even if there is someone that would be willing to take me out just for a walk and show me what the go is.

Cheers Carl
Bear Patriot 50#
Samick Sage 55#

discord

Re: Map Reading

#2 Post by discord » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Dept of Lands put out a booklet I've heard good things about (but haven't seen first hand)

http://www.mapworld.com.au/products/map ... geoscience

only $5.95
HAIL ERIS!

Carl_SlayR

#3 Post by Carl_SlayR » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Thankyou Thankyou
Bear Patriot 50#
Samick Sage 55#

Fraser

#4 Post by Fraser » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:34 am

Carl, is the problem the maps in question, or do you have problems with navigation?

It's been a couple of years since I lived in NSW, but in 2010 there was data availabe on the game councile website that could be downloaded to a Garmin gps.

Cheers,

Fraser

Carl_SlayR

#5 Post by Carl_SlayR » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 am

The problem is me yes. Maybe if I got a GPS and used it alongside the maps I could figure it out. I've never done any sort of navigation besides road maps which I am pretty good at.
Bear Patriot 50#
Samick Sage 55#

Fraser

#6 Post by Fraser » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm

You'll need a map, compass (silva are easier to read than prismatic) protractor, GPS, and eventully a map case. You need to check that all of the are on the same unit of measurement. Sea charts and some civilian maps are in longatude and latertude, military and some government are in MGRS. Also military compasses and protractors use mills not degrees and seconds.

I found garmin to be an easy brand to use, but GPS is not infallable so you need to be able to use map and compass as well.

Is there some one at your local club who can help you? your going to need to be shown how to shoot a bearing, plot a bearing, do a resection, and how to account for magnatic varriation.

Cheers,

Fraser

AndyD

#7 Post by AndyD » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Silva are a manufacturer (and the only ones I use by choice) and actually make prismatic compass amongst their many offerings. A prismatic is a style of compass.
I think that a Silva orienteering compass would be a good choice (it can have a protractor as part of the unit base)

I can highly recommenced a book called "Map and compass" by Cliff Jacobson, ISBN 978-0-7627-4762-7.
It is important to learn and practise how to use a map and compass to navigate before you actually need use of that skill.
Google "aiming off compass" to read further on a most useful technique if you are going to be using the compass as a backup navigational system.

Be careful of unqualified advice, and ensure you are confident and have practised usage before going a field.
Cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Carl_SlayR

#8 Post by Carl_SlayR » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks guys
Bear Patriot 50#
Samick Sage 55#