Help on which state forest for Pigs/goats in N/W NSW

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Help on which state forest for Pigs/goats in N/W NSW

#1 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 am

Gday all

Ive started the process to obtain my NSW r-license, should have it in a couple of months.

I live in South Australia. We are not allowed to hunt on any public land, except unalienated crown land. Mysteriously however, no government department has any idea where you might find any of this unalienated crown land..

So, id like to plan a trip to NSW. can anyone reccomend a good state forest with Pigs and or goats to hunt?

thanks!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Help on which state forest for Pigs/goats in N/W NSW

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

I can't help with that as I don't live down there. Since you live in SA what about Vic public land. From memory you don't have to go through the garbage that you do in NSW to get a licence to hunt it either.

Jeff

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Fanto, the Game Council site states which forests have what game in them. The site used to show numbers of game species taken but I believe that has ended.
Will you be going to far west NSW or flying in to .Sydney or the like? Cheers Steve

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Longbow steve, ill be driving from adelaide. Its about 500ks to broken hill, 1000 to cobar. I wouldnt want to drive more than 1000, so anywhere west of cobar is fine, and preferably south of cobar.

Jeff, victorians can get a permit for game a bit easier, but id like to chase pigs. I dont think there are any state forests with pigs in vic?

South Australia actually has a pig plaugue, on Kangaroo Island. unfortunately its all private land hunting, unless anyone on here is willing to trade a hunt or host. the pigs were left by Baudin the frenchman in case he got hungry when he came back..

anyway, any ideas are appreciated

thanks
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

AndyD

#5 Post by AndyD » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Since you mentioned Cobar... :)
It's a bit further but there are goats and pigs a plenty in Grahway.
Pigs even running around in daylight hours, which is the only S.F I have witnessed this in. Most are under such hunting pressure that they have become completely nocturnal.

Happy to share that but don't ask me for GPS co-ord's ;)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=grahw ... t&t=v&z=10
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 pm

thanks Andy, ill keep that in mind.

theres a national park just your side of Mildura with a pig and goat problem, listed for opening to hunters shortly.
might check that out first. if no good ill head further northeast

cheers

Slackshot

#7 Post by Slackshot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Fanto ,,,,you would be diving through some of the best goat and pig country in NSW.Stop in at a local pub in the area.Best time friday lunch or around 4,,or sat morning.Talk to the locals and the publican/sheila behind the bar,,,take it easy,get the interest and i am sure you will have some great hunting.
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Fanto

#8 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 pm

slackshot, cheers for that.

i reckon it'll work out, seeing as how I like pubs and all!