NZ Turkeys

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

memo

NZ Turkeys

#1 Post by memo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey fellas,
Been a while since i've been for a hunt, flat out at work so a family holiday to NZ saw me throw in the old two piece longbow to see if I could get one of the turkeys that are around the place. We don't have them here in Australia, so the chance to bag a tom was a urge that i'd had since I visited there last.
Luckily a generous NZ hunting forum member invited me out to his spot for a hunt.

A nice drive through the hilly country on a remote part of the North Islands west coast saw me arrive at my destination. After a quick chat it was down to business and off to chase a few turkeys.
First mob spotted and a few nice big ones amongst the mob, snuck in and managed to get an arrow away, but went over the tom and got the hen behind him. She ran off and bedded down in the pasture about 30m on, after a few average shots I got her again and went looking for another mob.

Righto, lets not stuff this one up eh?
Let them feed over the rise so I could make up some ground. Cut around into a washout with a bit of gorse in it, bit of cover should be right. Ah not so, they like to stay on any bot of high ground to keep an eye on things, and with those long necks sticking up like a periscope when something catches their eye, not easy to sneak in unnoticed.

Managed to get to about 10m in the washout with the mob just over the rise above me, when I saw three heads looking at me. Tried to hide behind the gorse for about ten minutes before they moved on and I couldnt see them anymore. Went to move and I saw a hen looking at me. Bloody hell, then she came in for a look with that head outstretched and making her clucking noises, she looked that silly I started to laugh. Put my head down as she came closer chuckling to myself.

I must have been the most interesting thing going on that day in Turkeyland, because three of the hens were now in for a look at me hiding behind a gorse bush at 3m. After about 5 mins of this I thought bugger this, so as soon as they were out of sight, I stood up and took a couple of quick steps towards them and drew. They all moved off about 5m and stopped and turned to see what I was and I let rip at a tom. Thought I hit him high but no blood on the arrow meant I must have hit him on the back and skipped off.

Righto,
They had run off a bit and were headed out into real open country and I was about to miss out so Craig suggested we cut around, and when they fed over the last rise I ran over and popped up at full draw. They did the old run a few metres and prop for a look, and I drilled a big old tom right on the money. He went to take off, but somersaulted down the hill. You Beauty! Picked up my arrow that fell out while he tumbled down hill, and saw him on his back.

Well back to the house for a cuppa before heading out to look for a piggie. Drove up to Craigs's glassing spot and, man what a view.

It wasn't long before a mob popped out of the treeline, so we headed off to have a go.

Got into a good position for a shot but it was a sow with piglets, so I let her pass hoping another would follow her down the gully, but she winded me before that could happen. Not to worry, we were back up the hill before it got too dark.

Now I'll admit that i'm pretty out of shape nowdays, and that hill was the first decent one I'd had a crack at in about 18 months (too flat here). It was pretty much dark by the time we got up to the top again, and I was just watching my feet when Craig said "Pigs".

I Could just make out about five in the gloom, and belly crawled to about 5m of a half grown, but it bolted when I tried to draw, a running shot missed and that was that.

Good fun to hunt and the boys liked their Turkey Scnitzel burgers that followed.

Hopefully my turkey wing feathers and fan come back from customs undamaged
Memo

piggy

Re: NZ Turkeys

#2 Post by piggy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm

well done Memo Hope you kept the feathers?

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:42 am

:smile: Well done Memo, great stuff, hope all does go well with the wings and fan..........

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:10 am

Good stuff mate :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Congrats on the Ol' Tom. Sounds like it was a fun hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeff

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Great story mate well done.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

wishsong

#7 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 am

hunting Sth Island Turkeys is perhaps the most fun hunting I have ever done in my life .....

great animal to hunt and fine tablefare ... them feathers ain't to be bad neither !

Brett Finger

#8 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 am

Love the pic's !!!
Bretto... :smile:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Guy Layton

#9 Post by Guy Layton » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Memo,

What beautiful country to be hunting in... Well done...!

Great to see you harvesting your game too... keep it up...!

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!