quick goat hunt- getting a lot closer!

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

quick goat hunt- getting a lot closer!

#1 Post by Fanto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Gday

went for a walk today, only had a couple of hours but that was more than required as I found the first mob about 10 minutes into my walk.

I learned a huge lesson in the process I might add. I was shooting a couple of stumps with a blunt on the walk up the hill, and from the top of this particular hill I couldn't see any goats, but i did see a nice stump. first shot went a little high, second hit directly causing an almighty whack! As i walked to collect my arrow i heard a couple of cracks and scratches, then a grunt and a bleat and bugger me there was a mob of goats looking in my general direction from about 30 metres!!

Every time i though they were all gone and took another step toward my arrow, another one seemed to come out of the woodwork and scurry off after the mob. What a disappointment.

I put my boots back on, gathered my thoughts and setoff to get downwind and uphill from them again, which, happily, i managed to achieve and the individuals were all pure white, first white ones I saw, so it meant they weren't wise. they were in a ravine, eating blackberries or something similar. I put in a stalk, which was going great until I ran out of cover, and discovered a billy halfway between me and the goat i thought i was stalking. he wasn't wise to my presence but was facing me directly. whilst i waited for him to turn, for a few minutes, the other girls decided to go eat something else and he did an about face and walked off.

no kill, but a really good lesson in stalking and very enjoyable.

Managed to find the mob again but it was a hard noisy slog to flank them again and when i popped my head over the ridge that was above them, they had climbed out of the valley and were on the next ridge across. My ankles and knees were shot so i called it a day.

This photo is at about maybe 60 yards from the goat in view, the Billy was between me and her, hidden by the bid gum tree.

cheers
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (122.27 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

flyne

Re: quick goat hunt- getting a lot closer!

#2 Post by flyne » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Nice work mate keep it up and u will have one on the ground in no time then the real hunt begins lol
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Fanto wrote:but i did see a nice stump. first shot went a little high, second hit directly causing an almighty whack! As i walked to collect my arrow i heard a couple of cracks and scratches, then a grunt and a bleat and bugger me there was a mob of goats looking in my general direction from about 30 metres!!
That made me chuckle mate. :lol:

Keep at it and I'm sure it won't be long before it all comes together for you. :biggrin:

Jeff

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Great stuff mate, I will look forward to the next update.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 pm

cheers gents,

onwards and upwards!

regards

fanto
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

stickshooter

#6 Post by stickshooter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 am

I alway's say "when you spook a mob of goats don't give up start looking for the DUMB ONES,there alway's there still in the scrub

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 am

Good stuff keep at it mate :biggrin: